Millionaire Challenge

Options

Comments

• Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I use sound wholesale to, absolute brill service and cheap as chips, I was paying £60 odd for 1000 A/000 but the guy raised his prices to £70...and I now pay £40 odd with Sound wholesale....if only the first guy hadn't of got greedy I would be paying £60 non the wiser as a repeat buyer!!

(He sends me free boxes sometimes to hehe)

FYI, some eBay sellers sell things cheap to get the listing up high then will bump the price up. Well known technique, kind of what I did with my mad listing but mine was in profit just 75p cheaper then the competition (which is a lot considering the around £2 price bracket.)
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • droopsnoot
    droopsnoot Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That's pretty cheap for the envelopes - either I can't remember what I used to pay (usually from Viking) or they're way cheaper for whatever reason. Still, £1.17 postage on an item sold for 99p can't be good for their profit.

Thinking small - always been my problem. I'd be so tied up in trying to make sure that I didn't lose money on small orders like this that it takes my eye off the thought that the other 200 orders a day might have enough bits to cover it all.
  • matt_beveridge
    Options
    Hi everyone, long time lurker and have finally caught up on the whole thread! This thread is nothing short of awesome, and definitely something I'd like to be a part of.

I'm in full time employment, but tried my hand at a side business on eBay to generate some extra income, and get me to that elusive £1 million. It's all kind of lost steam now, I've basically broken even but unsure whether to reinvest the money or not.

Those of you that are running a successful business, was it your first attempt/idea? should I keep trying or cut my losses on this one and get my thinking cap on?!

I'm now looking into investing my money in shares and see if can generate another income stream that way.

So yeah, thought I'd introduce myself and just a massive thank you for everyone that's contributed to this thread so far!
  • cazmanian_minx
    Options
    I was working for HMV's website when they were debating whether or not to go free P&P - the problem was the LPs, they lost money on every single LP they sold with free postage, but the uplift in sales for everything else more than recouped the loss.
  • Kayalana99
    Options
    Well...I should get back to work but you mention eBay it's like a moth to a flame....

I wouldn't call what I am doing a successful business but better then the average joe I guess, I am looking at pulling a full time wage this month but come Feb it most likey will be back down to £200ish a month..we'll see!

No it was not my first idea, first their was the garden gnomes...oh the garden gnomes....24 boxes of garden gnomes stacked up in my (mums) house and I sold 3.... (gnomes...not boxes...) so off to the charity shop they went. Needless to say I got nagged...and nagged..and nagged...for that...as they were everywhere.

Second their was the playboy jewellery...you can still pick this up now from some wholesale sites but because idiots like me buy from bulk from them, and then everyone is selling it on eBay...the price is lower then the wholesale site because everyone is trying to move excess stock.

Third their was the shoes....oh the shoes. Ok...I think shoes could be a viable business but I worked out I'd need to spend 15k on stock(although bare in mind I did this calculation 6 years ago? I didn't have the experience I do now it's probs BS), to sell enough to make it a full time wage...which is ok when you have 15k to spare...but where the hell do you put 15k worth of shoes??? and the returns...they don't fit...not the right colour (to be fair that was probs again lack of experience)

For every 20 pairs sold, I would have say 3 returns/exchanges and 1 INR...I am guessing because a lot of younger generation by shoes on eBay they tend to go missing a lot more? Needless to say I am sure 90% of them were trying it on...I get one INR per 300 in what I do now.

I did a lot of stuff in between that but they were the main things I did lol....oh don't people like to bring up those gnomes -.-

As for if your idea could work? Well...I think you can make a business out of anything personally....but you've been running the business a while now only you can make that decision, although one thing I would say I don't think it was 2 months ago? I was here whining I wasn't making enough money and wanted to close down.

One thing I would say is part of me wishs I could just close down and start again..I've come so far but my heart isn't in this business. My hand is starting to feel stiff due to how I make my items...and I think if I had to do it again I'd find something I could just re pack and sell...I think perhaps when I have 5-10k under my belt I might shut shop and start over using that money to fund the next business but we'll see....

I was just saying to my OH that I don't think I'm ever going to make anything of this business (on a larger scale) because my heart isn't in it and I'm unsure which way to turn...it's hard to explain without telling you what I do but their are so many roads I could take to develop it into something of more a niche (where as at the minute I am all over the place doing business bulk orders and small single orders)

I think I need , and what you should look for is something you are going to be passionate about...because you really do need to care about your business if you want it to be successful.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 26 November 2014 at 9:37AM
    Options
    Kayalana, what a brilliant post:T. Thanks so much for going to the trouble of writing it and the honesty in telling your story 'warts and all'. I'm sure it will help all those people who are setting out on their first venture full of hope.

It just shows that you have the true spirit of an entrepreneur, the old 'if at first you don't succeed...' mindset. Despite your earlier setbacks (don't mention the gnomes:eek:) which would have put off many a business-starter there and then you knew when enough was enough, cut your losses and moved on to the next thing. But the most important thing is that you never gave up on the dream of starting your own business and being successful at it. I genuinely take my hat off to you:A.

And here you are now and your current business is a success possibly because you've moved on from just buying and reselling to actually creating something to sell. Creativity seems a good way forward for you. You say your heart isn't in your current venture any more (maybe because you seem to be showing signs of RSI and that's not the way to go:eek:), and only you will know when it's time to move on to your next business. But the lessons you've learned from it and the confidence you've gained from knowing that you started something from scratch and made a real fist of it are priceless and will give you that added boost when you come to trying something new.

I read this thread because it inspires me every time I visit it, I was there from the early Tinktay days (does anyone know if she's OK by the way?). I'm not planning/hoping/intending to be a millionaire at any point in my life now, if I get out of the massive black debt-hole that I'm in within the next 5 years I'll be happy:o. I do dabble in selling stuff on a small scale to make ends meet and maybe turn a bit of profit so life is less of an uphill struggle, but it's very small-scale because I have no start-up capital and when I make any money it has to be spent on bills pretty much straight away. But I'm with you in spirit, cheering on you and all the other prospective millionaires. Good Luck to all of you:beer:
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What lovely posts! I wanted to throw my two pennorth in the ring, and expand a bit on what Kaya said about needing your heart to be in it. I couldn't agree more, and everyone always says it, but I didn't *understand* it. You're using a lot of energy, time and creativity on starting up a business, and if you don't feel passionately about the subject, you'll end up either ignoring it or hating it.

I'm in two minds myself, as I have two ideas that I'm running with, and thats difficult for timing as well. So if you have a couple of ideas that you really want to go with, at least make sure that you make the most of the interconnections. They're few and far between on mine, but I have a few ideas on how to build.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Just to say, Karmacat, that you're one of my inspirations in life. Yes, I really mean it. Whatever life throws at you (illness and other stuff) you just dust yourself down and move cheerfully on.

Your posts read like one of life's magical mystery tours sometimes:rotfl: (to someone like me who is mired in the mundane:o) and whilst some of the outcomes aren't always what you'd hoped for there's always a sense that even the minor setbacks are leading you somewhere positive. You seem to have so many interests in your life, so many 'irons in the fire' that I am constantly taking my hat off to you:A. I often live my life vicariously through such as you and the other inspirational posters throughout MSE and although I can't do a fraction of what you/they do in life it gives me my optimism boost every day and that's no bad thing:j.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    :o CBC, how beautiful :o I'm a bit overwhelmed at that, to be honest. Thank you :kisses3:

My day-to-day life really is fairly mundane (except when I lock myself out of my house, then it gets a bit brisk) ... in my head, I'm everywhere, and its all exciting :j I've never been one to have just one interest, they all revolve around and take it in turns, which is probably why I've got two potential income streams on the go at the moment. It has its disadvantages, to be sure, but I love the big picture.

And its only in the last few years that I've found that balance of dusting myself down and moving on and being cheerful. Truly, mse is of great benefit to me, because it really helps me do that. So thank you too :kisses3: because you're part of that; some people, some threads, just *are* :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Kayalana99
    Options
    Seriously considering getting someone in to baby sit but I don't like the idea of someone else being round the house, just how I am I guess?

I didn't do a lot this weekend...so sunday 3:30pm I sat down to a 100 eBay list to dispatch, I worked till 2am and went to bed it was 46 (bear in mind I was selling stuff in-between so that wasn't just 54 items done..)

Woke up to it being on about 55 which wasn't to bad but despite working all day (well what I can do around the kids) it's now sitting at 63...so I just havn't got it down. No doubt I will be working till late tonight as well!!

Only that I don't know if I got someone in would it really help me that much? As I do get a reasonable amount done around the kids.

Back to work I go...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback