PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

To those selling in these difficult times Part Deux. AKA sellers support network!

Comments

• Milliewilly
    Milliewilly Posts: 1,081 Forumite
    My viewer from Wednesday has made an opening offer of £205. So I am going to reject it in the morning. House is reduced from £265 - was sold in September and valued by ESurv at £249. Its now on at £230.
  • maya+2
    maya+2 Posts: 78 Forumite
    My viewer from Wednesday has made an opening offer of £205. So I am going to reject it in the morning. House is reduced from £265 - was sold in September and valued by ESurv at £249. Its now on at £230.

congrats on the offer, hopefully they'll come back with something better, if u already have it on at a fair price then 205 does sound a bit low. fingers crossed anyway.

re gemma, I don't think two weeks is that long, my friend had hers on the market for almost 6 months, and only 3 viewings, luckily the 3rd view bought their house, they were about to give up and take it off the market.
    I think hanging baskets would help, i know it seems trivial, but if i remember correctly u dont have much greenery at the moment, and its not about getting extra money off people, it just about generating an interest in the first place and thats where presentation can make a difference.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    redmen9 wrote: »
    I'm not taking any frustration out on anyone, I'm simply offering my opinion on the matter.

Thank you for a reasoned reply. I think your opinion is as valid as anyone's and it was only the way you expressed it to the other poster which made me 'sensitive.' After all, she's not one of those who hang on grimly to a price, fixed to eternity.

I have no axe to grind, having sold and rented too. I bought again when the right deal came along. Having adult kids, I'll be more than happy to see their none too generous incomes reflected in future prices.
  • redmen9
    redmen9 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Thank you for a reasoned reply. I think your opinion is as valid as anyone's and it was only the way you expressed it to the other poster which made me 'sensitive.' After all, she's not one of those who hang on grimly to a price, fixed to eternity.

I have no axe to grind, having sold and rented too. I bought again when the right deal came along. Having adult kids, I'll be more than happy to see their none too generous incomes reflected in future prices.

Fair enough. I have young kids and I'm bu66ered if they're going to subject themselves to a lifetime of debt in order to buy a house in this country.

I think that people have taken leave of their senses and believe that high house prices are a good thing and that house price inflation can outstrip wage inflation for ever.

Do people not understand that it's ridiculously high house prices coupled with lax mortgage lending that has lead to this country's recession and ensuing financial decline. I hate to point it out, but after the election we're headed for a long drawn out period of financial pain with a severe drop in standard of living for the majority.

People have seen inflation in house prices as an easy way to make money for over a decade, problem is, the prices have over reached what people can borrow. In the last ten years, house prices have increased about 3 times wages, whilst wages have increased about 0.75

I'm not bitter, I got out whilst I could. I managed to realise the ridiculous equity in my house when I sold and have managed to add to my savings since. The people who should feel bitter are todays young, who will never, barring being the only child to affluent parents, ever afford to buy their own house. Though having said that, shared ownership or single bedroom appartments are available for sub £200k!! Go on, fill your boots!
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    :j:eek: I have a 2nd viewing (my very first!) in an hour's time. Found out just over 5 minutes ago!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • heygringo
    heygringo Posts: 119 Forumite
    After 6 weeks we had our first viewing Thursday last. We felt that the "interested party" showed no interest whatsoever, in fact the friend she brought with her for "moral support" took a bigger interest in our home.

Yesterday we got a call from the EAs apprentice. The voice sounded like a 10yrs old giggly school girl. She was instructed to give us the feed-back from the dis-interested party from the previous day. It went something like, "Mrs --- doesn't like the decoration, giggle giggle...." I broke in at that point & suggested she put me through to her boss, to whom I said, "I would prefer not to be dealt with by your apprentices, until they have a bit more savvy with dealing with clients, which is down to you. Every one has to learn, I was an apprentice at one time, but wasn't released to the outside world until I had a modicum of what I was doing. I am not blaming the girl, she is doing what you've told her to do, which to a client who has had to chase this particular agency every step of the way, is not good enough."

As far as the "decoration" bit was concerned, the EA said that some of the reasons given as feedback from viewers are laughable.
    In our day of buying a property, the decoration was the least important bit of the viewing. For everyone to have the same taste in decor, would make this a helluva boring world. I told the EA that I'd rather they said the property wasn't to their taste, rather than offer a pathetic whimp of an excuse.

Phew! I feel better now. Sorry for the rant folks.
  • NEH
    NEH Posts: 2,464 Forumite
    heygringo wrote: »
    After 6 weeks we had our first viewing Thursday last. We felt that the "interested party" showed no interest whatsoever, in fact the friend she brought with her for "moral support" took a bigger interest in our home.

Yesterday we got a call from the EAs apprentice. The voice sounded like a 10yrs old giggly school girl. She was instructed to give us the feed-back from the dis-interested party from the previous day. It went something like, "Mrs --- doesn't like the decoration, giggle giggle...." I broke in at that point & suggested she put me through to her boss, to whom I said, "I would prefer not to be dealt with by your apprentices, until they have a bit more savvy with dealing with clients, which is down to you. Every one has to learn, I was an apprentice at one time, but wasn't released to the outside world until I had a modicum of what I was doing. I am not blaming the girl, she is doing what you've told her to do, which to a client who has had to chase this particular agency every step of the way, is not good enough."

As far as the "decoration" bit was concerned, the EA said that some of the reasons given as feedback from viewers are laughable.
    In our day of buying a property, the decoration was the least important bit of the viewing. For everyone to have the same taste in decor, would make this a helluva boring world. I told the EA that I'd rather they said the property wasn't to their taste, rather than offer a pathetic whimp of an excuse.

Phew! I feel better now. Sorry for the rant folks.

I think you have to accept that the number of viewers that are prepared to accept a place that perhaps needs a little work are few and far between...

Our one and only viewer apart form complaining it was overpriced was also worried about having to put a new bathroom and kitchen in....In my mum's age and in my age we accept that when you buy a house you like sometimes you just have to put the work in and get things done but i don't think some people these days are prepared to do that...

Btw anyone else had problems since the server upgrade that when you click on the email alert for a new reply it takes you to some random point many months earlier??
  • heygringo
    heygringo Posts: 119 Forumite
    NEH wrote: »
    I think you have to accept that the number of viewers that are prepared to accept a place that perhaps needs a little work are few and far between...

Our one and only viewer apart form complaining it was overpriced was also worried about having to put a new bathroom and kitchen in....In my mum's age and in my age we accept that when you buy a house you like sometimes you just have to put the work in and get things done but i don't think some people these days are prepared to do that...

Btw anyone else had problems since the server upgrade that when you click on the email alert for a new reply it takes you to some random point many months earlier??

I've actually mentioned to the EA that if a DIYer was to buy our place, they'd be ripping things to pieces, just for the sake of it, as there's nowt really for 'em to do, apart from the decor being c##p...... apparently!!:rotfl:
    Yes, the email notifier goes to a random post now. Problems, problems.
    As if selling our property wasn't enough.;)

Ooops! nearly missed clicking the ol' Blackcurrant.

BeeJay
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Just wanted to send good luck vibes to Karmacat.

Feel less panicky as now know there is somewhere we could rent if buyers really are able to move in May. I don't want to risk the sale by any delay.

It looked as if the only places to rent were either outside the town (difficult for DD to get to work) or not yet available and costing over £1500 per month. Suggested to DH he contacts a neighbour with a house on sale to see if they would rent to us - if only for a couple of months or so. He had a chat with them this morning and they will consider it.:j

Viewing two possible houses on Tuesday- one is in great location and very well presented - but Edwardian (we wanted something easier to manage).

The other one is on a main bus route and has a bus stop just outside their drive!:eek:

After all the panic, just hope our buyers sale to FTBs does not fall through.

I never want to do another viewing or sale ever!!!!!! Over two years is more than enough for anyone.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • kst101
    kst101 Posts: 812 Forumite
    Hope Karmacat's second viewing went well :)

I am off house and school hunting on Monday - moving 160 miles away is more tricky than when we moved 5 miles last time. But we are going to be renting so a little easier.

Buyers came round today with a builder friend and their landlord (they are living with a friend at the moment). They seem to have lots of plans for the house - thought this would bother me but it really doesn't.

Would people mind me being cheeky and post a link to my mum and dad's house? It has been on the market since end of February and has had one viewer and I think they are getting a bit despondent. Think they are nearing the end of their contract with the EA and are considering changing agents but any thoughts on the house and photos would be welcomed :)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-14905479.html
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport