We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Keeping hens and ducks chat.

Options

Comments

• maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Lovely news, I hope that you and Mr Edwink sleep well tonight too.

Cheery, fingers crossed that the girls are not too pesky while you have the builders in. Had to smile at the thought of one/some of them getting into a van, when we lived in Dorset our friend's cat sneaked into the car belonging to her young next door neighbour who worked 25 miles from home, he was definitely not amused when she woke up and announced her presence when he was just a very few miles away from work. He turned round and brought her home, and had to face the the wrath of his boss who was most annoyed with him:rotfl:
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 14 October 2019 at 1:08AM
    Options
    Before I throw my laptop out of my first floor window does anyone know how to change the page colour on MSE from the horrid blue back to the old green colour. I know new-ish users have the blue colouring but those of us that have been on the forums for some time started off with the green colouring and that colour appears to be the favourite with most as it is with me. Anyway with all this talk of MSE changing things and jigging things about I was just reading a thread and someone on it gave instructions on how to change the colour from the old style green to the new-ish blue. So guess what? Me sitting here and deciding to be nosey and have a look at the blue colouring I changed the colour. So now I have the blue page and can't find my way back to the old style green. I need HELP cos I hate this new-ish layout and the blue.

Can anyone direct me please before I pull my hair out ? Pretty please ?

Edwink

ETA.... Thankfully nearly an hour later, I still have all my hair and I am back to the calm green colouring. That will serve me right for not leaving things as they were. What a palaver. :rotfl: Should have left it alone and not started fiddling with things late in the evening because our alarm is set for 7am and we are going to try to get some sort of temporary roof on the coop before the rain starts hammering down for the day. By all accounts the weather is going to be atrocious from 8am tomorrow and it will be non stop all day. Can't just leave the girls to get wet especially as they have never seen or felt rain on their little bodies before. Bless their hearts.

Just realised I haven't changed my signature to include my new girls yet BUT I am not going to touch anything on MSE again tonight or maybe never again in the future :rotfl:
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,710 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    :rotfl: edwink, oh dear! I mostly use MSE on my phone these days so I can't see either blue or green, only white I'm afraid!

So pleased you got everyone home safe and sound :j Bless them. Yes I remember when we got our first lot, fortunately we had them in the barn for the first few weeks, so the first night we just left them til it was nearly dark and they'd all just found a dark spot in a corner, so we were able to just scoop them up and put them in their house. O ly had to do it twice, then they just went in on their own :j

I've got to dash out in a minute and create some kind of gate for our new enclosure. I was going to let the chickens out to free range for a bit but actually it's still dark and foggy so I won't be able to. Will have a quick shower first and see what it's like. If not, they'll just have to stay in the run til I've done it. They won't like that!
  • edwink
    edited 14 October 2019 at 9:08PM
    Options
    All going ok here with our new girls, thankfully. A little arguing but nothing much to speak of, which I am most pleased about. Hubby managed to get a temporary roof over half of the coop which served its purpose to a certain degree except for the odd small holes in the tarpaulin here and there. I put their water buckets under some of the holes to catch the rain to fill them up as no good trying to patch those up in the atrocious weather we had today. It was just awful for most of the day.

Can't believe we have 23 eggs already :eek: :eek: albeit 4 were soft shelled, so I will scramble those 4 up and give them back to them as a treat. I would rather they didn't lay eggs at the moment because it is important to them and us that they put their energy in to growing their feathers back :( . Not that they have any control over what their little bodies do of course but still I know what would happen if we had a choice in the matter. Although we are grateful for them it certainly is not necessary that they lay any especially as we are heading for the colder winter months now and they need all the energy for themselves. Bless their little hearts :)

How did the gate making go this morning Cheery ? All go ok with sorting something out ?. We find that pallets are excellent for gates and fences and have used many pallets around our previous veg beds for that purpose of stopping the hens gaining access to my veg. The odd hen used to jump on my nearby "sit and have a cuppa" bench and fly over and I would catch her munching her way through a row of spinach or lettuce or something green and tasty but I didn't mind at all to be honest. We used broken down pallets and chicken wire for the gates so I could gain access and they couldn't, unless they were lured over there by the organic green stuff and the braved it and took flight. Total menaces they were :rotfl:

On a more serious note cheery if you have anything delivered on pallets for any of your building projects always ask if you can keep the pallets. You can't keep any blue ones as they always must be returned, hence the reason for being painted. It's just that they will stand out so people are less likely to keep them knowing they should be returned. Freecycle often has pallets on offer from people that have had stuff delivered but don't want the pallet once it has been unloaded of stuff. They are just so useful in your lifestyle as they are with ours Cheery. All depends if you can get them in one of your cars or maybe on a roof rack I suppose. We have builders through word of mouth that drop pallets off at ours that would otherwise have been thrown in to skips plus we have several builders that live in our road so they drop them off on their way home from work. We put a wanted post for pallets on Freecycle when we first moved here and word got around that we reuse them for projects in our garden or for starting one of our stoves and now we never need to go out and collect any :cool:
    Will get pics of our new girls on here in a couple of days chick-hatching-from-an-egg-smiley-emoticon.gif

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • Cheery_Daff
    Options
    23 eggs already?? :eek: :j bless them :j

I did fashion a gate, mostly from an old piece of board with some wire mesh stapled to the top :rotfl: all our existing pallets are in service at the minute as either compost bins or chicken climbing frames :rotfl:

We nipped to the cafe earlier and when we got back Maud had escaped - the builder said he'd already put her back over the fence three times :rotfl: :rotfl: In fairness we did make the enclosure as it was going dark last night and Mr Cheery found several potential escape holes when he checked today... patched up now though and no sign of escape since.

They're going to hate us even more tomorrow as both of us are away for most of the day so they're going to be confined to their run, and the garden enclosure they were in today will seem palatial in comparison :o can't be helped though as we're back after dark.

I still haven't got round to putting the tarp over the roof, and it's a bit of a mud bath in there at the minute - well, the bits that aren't under the internal roof, that is - there's plenty of dry space for them to shelter in, but we get covered in mud when we go in to change the bedding etc. Mr Cheery thinks we should wait til we can make the roof properly sloping - but I'm of the mind that it'll be a giant swamp before that happens given the state of our own house and we should just get on and do it quickly now - we can always do it properly later.

We were going to put a roof on last autumn but never got round to it because we wanted to 'do it properly'and here we are - a whole year later later :eek:

So I think I'll stick it on this week whether he thinks it's a good idea or not :o
  • orangecrush
    Options
    Oh Edwink you have new ladies!!! I was devastated to read of your losses earlier this year. So pleased you've found some healing time and have welcomed some new additions!

I've been lurking here irregularly - my son is now 16 months, and I'm back at work, so I have little time for the garden, other than routine hen-maintenance :(

We still have two ladies! Buffy - who is almost 3 - and Ginger, who is 2. Both have stopped laying now for the winter after a very productive summer, for Ginger at least. Buffy has been taking it easy, as is her right after 4 laying seasons!

Will try and post some photos soon - they make quite the pair - Buffy is an enormous Orpington and Ginger is a slender Shetland!

Happy to read all the henny ducky antics again :)
  • edwink
    edited 15 October 2019 at 10:37PM
    Options
    Oh Edwink you have new ladies!!! I was devastated to read of your losses earlier this year. So pleased you've found some healing time and have welcomed some new additions!

I've been lurking here irregularly - my son is now 16 months, and I'm back at work, so I have little time for the garden, other than routine hen-maintenance :(

We still have two ladies! Buffy - who is almost 3 - and Ginger, who is 2. Both have stopped laying now for the winter after a very productive summer, for Ginger at least. Buffy has been taking it easy, as is her right after 4 laying seasons!

Will try and post some photos soon - they make quite the pair - Buffy is an enormous Orpington and Ginger is a slender Shetland!
    Happy to read all the henny ducky antics again :)

Aww thank you orangecrush. I certainly found some healing time I must admit. I felt I really, really needed it as I did find it incredibly hard to come to terms with what happened here. I was heartbroken and just totally devastated. It's just so idyllic, quiet and peaceful here and we were living our semi self sufficient dream with our feathered friends until that fox managed to get in. We back on to woods as you probably know and we are not stupid we know of course there are foxes up there but it was such a shock after 10 whole years especially with the security we had in place. But, time is a great healer and we picked ourselves up and dusted ourselves off and made arrangement to rehome loads more :D and we are so happy we did. I personally am very sensitive, I don't mind admitting it, so I took it all so badly and didn't cope with our loss initially but I have to say that it was this thread that kept me going and got me back on to the journey of rehoming some more :).

Cheery and I have been very fortunate that we have a happy band of feathery fans that keep us company on here. It's a real friendly heart warming thread now and you are most welcome to join us whenever you have a spare 5 mins, the more the merrier we say, don't we Cheery?.

Wow your littlen has grown up so quick, 16 months already, where does the time go?. I am so glad that Buffy and Ginger are still with you. I agree they deserve a rest over the winter months, I wish my lot would not lay I must say, I am hoping they will at least have a break during the colder months as they will need all the energy for themselves.

Aww thank you for posting again, lovely to hear from you. :T
    Edwink
  • Cheery_Daff
    Options
    The more the merrier indeed :j and it's lovely to hear that Buffy and Ginger are still knocking about :j No wonder you don't have time for much in the garden orangecrush :j :j

I'm very pleased this cheery thread kept you going edwink and spurred you on to get more :j I was SO encouraged by reading in here when I first started thinking about hens, and it's lovely to have a place to waffle on about them :o :j

I let our ladies out for half an hour this morning before the builders got here so they could lay in the coal shed if they wanted. Bessie did, but the others just messed around following us in and out of the house until it was time to put them back in again, and then they protested :rotfl:

Not very easy to explain to a chicken 'you've got half an hour to lay before I shut you back in' :rotfl:
  • edwink
    edited 16 October 2019 at 11:10AM
    Options
    I'm very pleased this cheery thread kept you going edwink and spurred you on to get more :j I was SO encouraged by reading in here when I first started thinking about hens, and it's lovely to have a place to waffle on about them :o :j
    I let our ladies out for half an hour this morning before the builders got here so they could lay in the coal shed if they wanted. Bessie did, but the others just messed around following us in and out of the house until it was time to put them back in again, and then they protested :rotfl:

Not very easy to explain to a chicken 'you've got half an hour to lay before I shut you back in' :rotfl:

I honestly mean that too Cheery, that this thread did keep me going :) I don't think I would have given up totally from keeping hens but I know for certain I would not have got any new ones this year. I felt it would not have been an option to not introduce more at some stage though because of the set up here that myself and Mr Edwink have worked so hard to achieve. We believe it is just so ideal for them here and it suits me as I am a huge animal lover. Personally I know and I have said this before, if Mr Edwink didn't reign me in I would have a huge garden not to mention a house full of waifs and strays, I honestly would :D But, I suppose being realistic I know deep down I would never manage even with Mr Edwinks input, plus I wouldn't want to take his time away from his beloved music practice. I have my girls, he has his music and we both share the organic fruit and growing. When I am not able to keep up with jobs associated with my beloved hens (because of my chronic back issues) Mr Edwink will happily take over from me and just leaves me to sit and relax whilst chatting away to our girls while they are clambering all over me, of course, and being total and utter menaces. Also, gives me quality time with them which would not always be possible with some of our semi self sufficient lifestyle jobs like making laundry detergent and washing up liquid and the like. I am so pleased that you joined me on this thread Cheery and I have to say you are an absolute delight to have around :A I absolutely love cheery posts on here (excuse the pun) :)

I can just imagine you this morning shooing your girls back outside and in to their newly formed play area. I can just imagine their little faces looking back at you as if to say "are you loosing it mum cos we are Freerange you know, so why are you doing this to us? :D The trouble is Cheery we both give our girls an inch and they try to take a mile don't they? :rotfl: but for us here we have it easier than you as we don't have the fields you have, so although we have a lot of space to go looking for them if they scarper we don't have the vast amount of land that you have. It's easier for me to find my girls if they have the hump unlike yours who could abscond half way across the country:rotfl:
    Hope yours didn't give you too much agro this morning ;) and I hope it helped when you explained to them for the tenth time that the restrictions are only in place whilst you have the builders in.

Edwink
  • orangecrush
    Options
    Ah Cheery and Edwink thank you for the welcome back! I do hope I manage to keep up. I barely keep up with my own name these days.

Cheery I have to laugh at your ladies and their laying schedules... not cooperating with their assigned laying break! What building work are you having done? We had an awful experience with a cowboy builder - one of the chickens bit him when he poked his idiot finger at them. I should have trusted their judgement!

Edwink I am the same as you - I would take in every random animal I found if I had the time and space! My goal is lots of hens, a few goats, a donkey... I need to win the lottery and buy a house with a lot of land first! Oh and learn to DIY because MrOrangeCrush is rubbish.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback