Water damage: how to NOT claim on insurance?!!!!

Our water company have caused internal damage to our property as a result of an external damaged pipe they are slowly fixing.

It is quite clearly their fault but they say: claim on your home insurance.

I do not want to do this since my premiums will rise, and it is not my insurer's fault.

Anyone had any experience of this?

TIA!

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    How is it their fault ? It may be their pipe but it could just be one of those things that happen, did their negligence cause the leak ? If not you need to claim on your insurance.
  • schoon
    schoon Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    They have been fixing the pipe for a few weeks. It keeps backing up and they have said it is their fault.
  • schoon
    schoon Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This may be useful to others:
    see e.g. southernwater's guaranteed-standards-for-domestic-customers
    (I am not allowed to post links).

Seems water companies are quite well protected but they do have certain obligations if you claim against them.
  • garth549
    garth549 Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Just claim off your own insurance. If it turns out to be negligence on your neighbour's part then the insurance company will pursue their outlay from them.

Your insurance premium will go up regardless because you have an 'incident' on record. Just an unfortunate fact of how insurance works I'm afraid.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    You dont have to claim on your home insurance but its going to be a lot easier.

The other option is to look at seeking recovery from them. So youll need to speak to water company about getting recompense for the damages, basically get them to say theyre not paying you out directly, then you can take it to court, youll need to work out exactly how much you are suing them for. Thrash i tout between the two sides. Eventually win the case. Now you have to puruse recovering the money. Theyre a water company so it should be within 4 weeks of winning the case.

Home insurance route, you ring them, they do what they do over a few weeks then give you money if a pay out is due (probably is).

Your call of course.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport