PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Living in a caravan on own land... Planning?

Options

Comments

• GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,670 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    LandyAndy wrote: »
    In our town someone set up a smallholding on land on the outskirts and lived there in a caravan for about two years before they were finally removed. TBH they didn't appear to be doing any harm.

There's someone living in a caravan parked on the street round here. He moves it every week or two, so the local authorities don't catch up with him. Eventually, they'll slap a notice on him forbidding him to park it in Barnet, so he'll move on to Enfield or Brent.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Waterlily24
    Waterlily24 Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We lived in a mobile home in our garden while our bungalow was being extended and renovated. We didn't realise we needed permission (I know we should have checked). Services were attached. We still paid rates.
  • MobileSaver
    MobileSaver Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Options
    LandyAndy wrote: »
    In our town someone set up a smallholding on land on the outskirts and lived there in a caravan for about two years before they were finally removed. TBH they didn't appear to be doing any harm.

The problem, of course, is if the council don't do anything and are seen not to be doing anything then other people start doing the same and several years down the road you could have a little caravan community starting to get bigger and bigger and then the issues start.
    Every generation blames the one before...
    Mike + The Mechanics - The Living Years
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 11 October 2019 at 9:19AM
    Options
    The problem, of course, is if the council don't do anything and are seen not to be doing anything then other people start doing the same and several years down the road you could have a little caravan community starting to get bigger and bigger and then the issues start.
    I think that's why councils in areas of higher population density act faster than those in sparsely populated places, such as where I am. They have more income too.

Right now, I know of one family living on a council-owned lay-by in a remote spot. They've been there for 3 years, so there's no question the council know they're there. Why is this tolerated? The answer I've been given is that their child attends the local school regularly and thus has a stable education, while the parent(s) work rather than rely on benefits. I can't say how accurate that is.

This contrasts somewhat with my immediate neighbours, who are totally funded by the state and whose 3 children, now 19,17 and 14, have never been to primary or secondary school.

I also know of another caravan encampment in a wood a few miles distant. The place is an overgrown bog and I wouldn't fancy going in there to investigate further, but I know it sold a few years ago for around £35k after a local bigwig bought it, sat on it for a while and then split it into 2 sections for sale, each priced at what he paid originally. Nice business plan!
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,721 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So you have land with an old derelict condemned house on it (I think that is what you mean)

Why on earth are you not applying for planning to rebuild a new house in place of the old condemned one?

In any case if you are caught living in the caravan, just bang a planning application in to rebuild the old house, that only needs to be outline planning, and they should not take any enforcement action about the caravan while that is ongoing.
  • in_my_wellies
    Options
    I think it'll depend on how well you get on with your neighbours. If you don't do anything to draw attention to yourself and aren't reported then you'll probably be OK. I.e, no barking dog and keep the plot tidy. If the neighbours see you tidying up the outside of the house/garden they'll probably be pleased and unlikely to complain.

My allotment is 200 miles from my house and I frequently stay over, not seen from the road and I leave no trace. In 'another life' I wonder if I could live there long term.
    Love living in a village in the country side
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Options
    No matter how out of the way the piece of land may be anything you do will be noticed. How long you are likely to be able to get away with keeping a caravan there is dependent on whether someone lets the local authority know and how diligent the LA might be enforcing.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    martindow wrote: »
    No matter how out of the way the piece of land may be anything you do will be noticed. How long you are likely to be able to get away with keeping a caravan there is dependent on whether someone lets the local authority know and how diligent the LA might be enforcing.

Government agencies have access to frequently updated satellite imagery and software to compare changes. This is to ensure subsidies aren't overpaid etc. For example, if a farmer leaves a big pile of logs in a field that's subsidised in some way, then the rural payment will be reduced accordingly and a warning issued. Any change bigger than an A4 sheet of paper is visible, so a caravan would be easy..

The mapping derived from this is used by the local authorities, so I'd guess they have access to the satellite imagery too, though maybe not the time to look.
  • blackrandomapple
    Options
    Hi and sorry for not being able to respond to everyone.

Thankyou all very much for your posts.
    I took the decision to apply for a lawful development certificate. Basicakky this is a cert that will be given to me (if approved) to clarify that planning permission is not needed and the council ARE aware and are happy for me to do as proposed.

If the application is denied it means planning permission is required. I will then of course apply for planning ect.

Fingers crossed, i will keep the thread upto date as and when i can :)

Hopefully this thread will help others in the future.
  • blackrandomapple
    Options
    I thought id post the latest news on my quest here before starting a new thread with my next question?!

In short my local council have advised against seeking a lawful development cert as my application would be refused.

the next step they advise is to apply for planning permission for a new dwelling in the form of a caravan.

obviously this isnt the route i wanted to go down but it seems i have no choice.

can anyone advise me on the do's and donts when applying.

should i apply for a static home rather than a caravan?
    can i still live off grid?

i think they basically want me to apply in the same way as if i was to seek planning permission for a new house and changing the 'use of land' !

Surely there is a website somewhere with all the planning regulations and legislation for public viewing, I would like to find and read the rules, same way as my council would when they have a query... does that make sense?

thanks in advance people, i need as much info as possible:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure