Is £13 a month account fee worth it for mobile phone insurance?

Options
I'm with Nationwide and am contemplating upgrading my account to Flex plus just for the mobile phone insurance. Online to insure my phone comes in around the £14 a month mark. How good is Nationwide insurance? anybody ever had to use it for loss/theft for their phone? On the nationwide website they only insure up to a £1000 for phone... My phone is £1050 new... Will they cover all the £1000?

Also I know travel insurance is included in the £13.00 per month.... I have a pre-existing condition, will they take that into account, My travel insurance with debenhams is £56 for mid range cover because of the pre-existing so not like I can't get insured from a mainstream provider.

I like the commission free cash withdrawals a month. too

Comments

• Willing2Learn
    Options
    Just to see if your £13/month represents good value, I got an insurance quote for an iPhone 11 128GB @ £98.89 for annual cover from gadget-cover.com.

You should contact Nationwide and ask them if their travel insurance is valid with your pre-existing condition.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • nicetomeetyou
    Options
    I went through the application, it asked if I have prescribed medication in the last 12 months, I clicked yes and it said I am not eligible for travel insurance.

I don't think that is a negative for me. I wanted it just for the phone insurance, its insurance for abroad as well. I also like the commission free cash abroad too. I go to Europe a few times a year.
  • Does your home contents insurance not cover you for mobile devices?
    If so you don’t need the nationwide cover.

However, £13 per month for mobile insurance, breakdown cover and travel insurance is good value, especially if the account is a joint account since each party is covered under the one fee.

Also note the changes to the policies coming into effect from 1st November: https://nationwide.co.uk/support/product-support/current-account/current-account-changes#xtab:twistyheadingcontent-flexplus
  • nicetomeetyou
    Options
    I live in a house share with 3 friends.. When I looked I was unable to get house insurance.

Nationwide are increasing the lost phone insurance to £1.500 which is handy.

Thank you for posting the link !!!.
  • 20SmthngSver
    Options
    No lol. £156.00 a year just for mobile phone insurance sounds silly. I bought a refurbished 128gb iPhone 7 for £140 on MusicMagpie this year with no defects. I found a £20 off code and I sold my old iPhone for £70 which I'd had for 3 years.

If you've had this account for a few years and paid hundreds in insurance, you'd have been better just saving £13 a month. At least then you'd have the money still.
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can get contents home insurance for your room only even in house/flat shares. Get some quotes and compare the value.

£156.00 / year seems steep for just a mobile phone insurance if you can't take advantage of the travel insurance of this account.

You can get no-fee top exchange rate abroad bank accounts for free from the likes of Starling, Monzo and Halifax Clarity CC, no point in splashing £156.00 / year for that.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,209 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I went through the application, it asked if I have prescribed medication in the last 12 months, I clicked yes and it said I am not eligible for travel insurance.

I don't think that is a negative for me. I wanted it just for the phone insurance, its insurance for abroad as well. I also like the commission free cash abroad too. I go to Europe a few times a year.

Are you sure about this?

As far as I'm aware, the travel insurance linked to all Nationwide's current accounts will cover almost all pre existing medical conditions, as long as you declare them.

They operate a medical screening process - as do most insurers. Many conditions do not attract any additional premium, but some do.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    I enquired about nationwide travel insurance and I have pre-existing conditions

I called them up and declared them and they quoted me an additional price to have them covered

They also told me if I chose not to.pay the additional premium to have them covered it would not affect the rest of Insurance - just those conditions would not be covered
  • Clive_Woody
    Options
    I have this Nationwide account and claimed for a phone a while back. I had only had the phone a few months when the screen cracked. I sent it off to be repaired but got a call saying it couldn't be repaired. They called me to make me a payout offer that was actually more than I paid for the phone brand new, which was a nice surprise. The payout arrived very quickly.

The breakdown cover is also good, we've used that a couple of times and no complaints with the service provided (includes at home cover)
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • ollyshaw
    Options
    The cover is good. But work out if it'll let you cancel easily. As I have it on my joint account, nationwide won't let me cancel unless my wife and book an appointment in advance at a branch. It's shocking.
    ## No signature by order of the management ##
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport