Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • a8ree
    • By a8ree 2nd Aug 19, 8:26 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    a8ree
    0 WOW
    Charged customs duty on small HK/China purchase
    • 2nd Aug 19, 8:26 PM
    0 WOW
    Charged customs duty on small HK/China purchase 2nd Aug 19 at 8:26 PM
    I ordered something from HK/China at 26. In the post today came a request for customs duty and an administration charge of 12.

With these charges, it is way over the value of the item. Royal mail says that they will return to sender after 21 days.

Has anyone had this before? Can I just ignore and have it returned to the seller and get it refunded?

I bought using PayPal using a credit card (if that has any bearing)
Page 1
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 2nd Aug 19, 8:37 PM
    • 13,415 Posts
    • 16,212 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 2nd Aug 19, 8:37 PM
    • 2nd Aug 19, 8:37 PM
    Customs charges are payable on such transactions if they are valued at more than 15 including shipping costs.

When the Customs charges become payable, shipping companies are permitted to charge a fee for administering it.

You may struggle to get a refund from the Seller, but you can try.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • amberhen49
    • By amberhen49 4th Aug 19, 10:01 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    amberhen49
    • 4th Aug 19, 10:01 AM
    • 4th Aug 19, 10:01 AM
    Most sellers will have something along the lines of "Buyer is responsible for any customs/import charges."

Although they shouldn't, quite a few Asian based sellers in my experience, mark items as gifts or don't declare the true value of the item to get around any charges.

You can try ignoring it and hoping it gets sent back, but any refund would be at the discretion of the seller.
    • Spoonie Turtle
    • By Spoonie Turtle 15th Sep 19, 11:51 AM
    • 137 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    Spoonie Turtle
    • 15th Sep 19, 11:51 AM
    • 15th Sep 19, 11:51 AM
    As already stated, the threshold is currently 15. [There are plans to scrap that with the intent of having international sellers register to charge VAT and then pay HMRC - I can't see that happening for most small companies or individual sellers (such as on Etsy).]

I've been caught out by the exchange rate twice - I've bought what I thought was under 15 but was literally a few cents over according to the HMRC exchange rate. I learned my lesson and was fine for a couple of years, until I bought something at the end of July under the 15 threshold, but by the time it entered the country on 2nd August it was now 5 cents over. I actually don't object to the principle of having to pay import VAT, but considering Royal Mail charge a flat rate of 8 which is over 50% of the 15 threshold it makes those mistakes too costly and I ended up letting it go back to the sender. One wonders how RM are going to charge such a fee on all the thousands of packets from China and elsewhere in the far East that genuinely are only worth one or two pounds!

Edit: sorry, I didn't realise this thread was quite as old as it is - I came across it looking for something completely unrelated!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

333Posts Today

4,379Users online

Martin's Twitter