Help interview

Hi all

I have a job interview this week but I don’t know what to tell them about my current situation. I was off with Anxiety and depression caused by life in general and work.

Any advice would be great.

Comments

• Hi there,

Do you know if it's a structured interview?
    eg NHS, council, housing association, supermarket.

Back from an interview where the interviewer seemed pretty distracted themselves! no CV in front in them and they simply phrased their question about my current job as 'how's that going? I'll let them off if the times of the email correspondence were anything to go by! They were way more interested in the software used in my jobs! I pitched up fearing a lot more for 19.5k !!! I keep getting into difficulties with my 'zero hour' contact and what prospective new employer thinks that means... So you never can tell.

You may be worrying unnecessary.

(Personally when I had anxiety I tried to return to an industry I felt I knew.) that seemed to work.

Good luck :)
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    mummy2014 wrote: »
    I was off with Anxiety and depression caused by life in general and work.

If it comes up I would focus on how to reassure that it won't happen again.

Some believe that past behaviours are a good indicator of future issues.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Well others may offer differing advice but you could consider telling them the truth.

I don't mean that flippantly but sometimes people are try too hard to put a spin on their situations that remembering what was said can be stressful in itself.

if they ask about the situation and you do decide that this is the best course of action, you don't have to go into too much detail - I'm sure all they will be interested in is that the situation is resolved itself and you are now in a position to work effectively for them
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,861 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I don't think you should have been interviewing in the first place if you're off for anxiety and depression, especially as you've said it isn't only due to work?
    Know what you don't
  • Did you take any of the advice that you were previously given? Have you actually returned too work or not? To be honest, given the length of the sick leave, if you haven't returned to work then I can't see how you can tell them the circumstances are resolved and you are ready to work. We are, after all, only talking about a few weeks at most since your last posts saying that you couldn't go back. I'm sorry, but it feels to me that you've applied for a job to run away from your problems, when the problems do not seem to lie elsewhere. A new job doesn't solve that sort of problem.
  • Blatchford wrote: »
    Did you take any of the advice that you were previously given? Have you actually returned too work or not? To be honest, given the length of the sick leave, if you haven't returned to work then I can't see how you can tell them the circumstances are resolved and you are ready to work. We are, after all, only talking about a few weeks at most since your last posts saying that you couldn't go back. I'm sorry, but it feels to me that you've applied for a job to run away from your problems, when the problems do not seem to lie elsewhere. A new job doesn't solve that sort of problem.

Hi
    What I haven’t said was prior to me being off work the last year has been awful at work with my line manager. I have had advice and I have been told it’s bullying behaviour. I know the company i work for won’t do anything about it and that is why I need to leave. Please don’t say the company has a duty of care I have seen her do this so many times and they don’t do sod all.

The reason why I couldn’t go back was because of my line manager I can’t take any more from her.
  • mummy2014 wrote: »
    Hi
    What I haven’t said was prior to me being off work the last year has been awful at work with my line manager. I have had advice and I have been told it’s bullying behaviour. I know the company i work for won’t do anything about it and that is why I need to leave. Please don’t say the company has a duty of care I have seen her do this so many times and they don’t do sod all.

The reason why I couldn’t go back was because of my line manager I can’t take any more from her.
    Sorry but that doesn't change anything, and if you didn't tell people things then they can't take them into account in advice.

"Advice" that it is bullying is not the same thing as it either being bullying, nor having any relevance to your question. You have been off work for a lengthy period due to problems "at work and in your personal life" . So it isn't all about your manager. I actually asked whether you were back at work. Because if you are not, then you are not currently fit to work, and that would definitely impact of what advice people might give you. As an employer, if someone has been off work for a long period as you have, I would be very dubious about whether they were fit to return to the workplace if they hadn't already gone back.

I was not about to say anything at all about a duty of care. Had I said anything, it would have been to ask what your manager is actually doing. Bullying is a term too often bandied about, and doesn't really mean much.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi all

I have a job interview this week but I don’t know what to tell them about my current situation. I was off with Anxiety and depression caused by life in general and work.

Any advice would be great.
    Hi

Are you back at work?

Just be honest if asked about sick leave.

It’s quite possible, though not usual, for any reference to include such info from previous employer. So if you’re still off sick, their reference may say you’re currently off sick and what impression would that give your new employer?
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • Yes I am back at work.
  • mummy2014 wrote: »
    Yes I am back at work.
    So your "current situation" is working. You don't have anything to tell them, do you?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure