Induction Hob

I'm re-fitting my kitchen and need all new appliances, primarily a double oven and an induction hob. I know what I want in terms of an oven, but I am new to induction.

I gather I need a hard-wired hob to get the most oomph in terms of using multiple zones. I think I'm going to need a good bridging function as I often use large pans and I'm used to the fast reaction of a gas hob. Are there any other functions I need to look out for?

Every brand has similar advertising blurb, so I'd like some user's recommendations. please!
"Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.

Comments

• An induction hob needs its own circuit from your fuse board

If your induction hob will be using up to 32 amps then that is one circuit at the fuse board (Mini circuit breaker should be 32 amps) so you’ll need a separate supply from your fuse board for the hob, and leave the existing cable to run the separate oven.

I have a induction freestanding oven, it’s brilliant. I am not an electrician.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,890 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    ka7e wrote: »
    I'm re-fitting my kitchen and need all new appliances, primarily a double oven and an induction hob. I know what I want in terms of an oven, but I am new to induction.

I gather I need a hard-wired hob to get the most oomph in terms of using multiple zones. I think I'm going to need a good bridging function as I often use large pans and I'm used to the fast reaction of a gas hob. Are there any other functions I need to look out for?

Every brand has similar advertising blurb, so I'd like some user's recommendations. please!

One thing to take into account is that most if not all of your trusty pans won't be useable on an induction hob unless they are all relatively new.

I was going to go for induction hob when I bought my new Neff slide and hide oven but I have too many well loved pans that I couldn't part with.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • The new pan thing is a misnomer.

It is nothing to do with your pans being old (or not relatively new). Any pan that attracts a magnet on the base will work. My stainless pans are years old as are my cast iron ones. Both work on induction beautifully.

Take a magnet to your pans before you go off buying special pans for induction hobs.....
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,890 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 October 2019 at 11:59AM
    The new pan thing is a misnomer.

It is nothing to do with your pans being old (or not relatively new). Any pan that attracts a magnet on the base will work. My stainless pans are years old as are my cast iron ones. Both work on induction beautifully.

Take a magnet to your pans before you go off buying special pans for induction hobs.....

Mine were all stainless steel and some are copper neither of which will work on induction so not a misnomer in my opinion.

The problem stems from the fact that all stainless steel is not magnetic. In order for stainless steel cookware to be induction friendly it has to have 18/0 stainless steel or another magnetic material built into it. Manufacturers that want their cookware to be induction compatible typically add 18/0 stainless steel to their cookware to make it induction capable. The design of your stainless cookware really will not matter. It can be disc bottom or clad in design, as long as it has 18/0 stainless steel or another magnetic material it will work with induction cook tops.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,162 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    I have a pan which originates from the first time orange pans were trendy - late 70s, early 80s, works a treat on my induction hob. Mine has a timer for each zone, which is very useful.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • hareng
    hareng Posts: 581 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Confirm our pans are stainless steel cheapies bought from TJ Hughes 2005 and can recall it stated on the box Induction ready.
    Having looked at them there is a heavy magnetic substance sandwiched between the stainless swaged on base and the stainless pans.

I did have to replace the DeDietric induction about 5 years back i knelt on it Christmas Eve at 4pm, mad panic only could get a ceramic hob which are so slow.
  • ka7e
    ka7e Posts: 3,083 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    My pans are induction-friendly - except for my pressure cooker! The kitchen is being totally rewired with a separate integrated double oven. I'm currently trying to cook on the 2 working rings of an ancient ceramic hob - it struggles to bring water to the boil even if you fill a pan from the kettle.
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport