Focus, Action & Consistency is the Key!

Options
:hello: Hello again,

I'm MuffinTops and I'm in the exciting position of being Mortgage and Debt free. This diary forum and many amazing posters seriously helped me get to this position.

I am in my 40's, single and living alone, and I do have a decently paid job. So what's the problem??? I have no long term focus. I became mortgage free a few years ago and since then my savings accounts do not even closely reflect my salary and necessary outgoings, and I'm still not really living either.

This diary is now about how to focus and to live the life I thought I was working towards when I was trying to clear my debts and mortgage. To do this I need to plan and act in my own best interests consistently.

There are so many areas of my life I've neglected over the years so although the main focus is on budgets and becoming financially self sufficient, I also have a lot of jobs I've neglected for too long, a lot of organising to do, and a whole lot of frogs to eat along the way.

Work is rubbish, and I hate it, but I'm finding that a mindset change is making things more bearable. I don't think my work situation is special in any way based on other diaries I've read, so maybe I need to focus less on what's going on around me at work, and more on my own path. I had considered resigning before finding another role or replacing the salary, but I've had a long hard logical think about that this weekend and I don't want to go back to existing, so I'll stick it out while I can.

I think that's enough for now. I know I'm in a fantastic position and I truly am so grateful for that, but I've also squandered some time and money which I feel I need to address immediately. It seems that unless I have a specific financial amount to aim for, I lose focus.

So I'm going to specify actual amounts in my budget (and on here) for certain areas (ie. savings, home improvements etc), so that I'm always working towards a goal. Home improvement goals etc will be based on specific costs to get work done. Savings will be a yearly goal (pro rata'd for this year).

I hope that it's still ok for me to post here, as it's such an inspirational place and has always made me much more mindful of my spending and other general habits and pushed me further than I can do by myself.

Comments

• doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 22 July 2018 at 5:58PM
    Options
    Hello MT,

i'm sorry work isn't going so well right now. It sounds as if your decision to stick it out for a while is a good one. I'm feeling a bit burned out and stepped back for a few weeks to avoid throwing the towel in myself.

I can understand the losing focus. After becoming debt free and mortgage free I switched straight away to working on the house so I haven't had a loss of focus. Is there another project you could switch to?

I can't recall if you moved in the end?

Anyway, welcome back, really great to have you back :)

PS. I love the diary title. So true!
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,271 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Happy shiny new diary :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • MuffinTops
    MuffinTops Posts: 2,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello MT,

i'm sorry work isn't going so well right now. It sounds as if your decision to stick it out for a while is a good one. I'm feeling a bit burned out and stepped back for a few weeks to avoid throwing the towel in myself.

I can understand the losing focus. After becoming debt free and mortgage free I switched straight away to working on the house so I haven't had a loss of focus. Is there another project you could switch to?

I can't recall if you moved in the end?

Anyway, welcome back, really great to have you back :)

PS. I love the diary title. So true!

Thanks DIA. Lovely to see you here. There are lots of projects I can move to. Initially there are lots of things that need replacing in my house (boiler etc) so I'll start there. I would also like to decorate and freshen up a few rooms so another good project.

I didn't move for many reasons which I'll probably put into a post soon as so many ideas swim around my head in that respect.

You've done so well with your plans. I'm so excited for what the future holds.

Take care,

MT
  • MuffinTops
    Options
    Thank you beanielou. It's so nice to have a new focus again.
  • MuffinTops
    Options
    I've been on a training course for the past few days which is a great qualification to boost my CV. The first day was a bit worrying as I just wasn't getting it, and I wasn't doing well on the mock exams, but it's come together a bit better now. I have the exam booked in for Monday, so have put time aside to get that done.

I've massively curbed my spending. I've been getting up my normal time of 5am, but had an extra 30 minutes before I needed to leave, so I was using that time to make myself a lunch and double check I had all I needed. I'm seriously considering doing that all the time now as I'd still be in work on time.

I get paid next Tuesday and it can't come fast enough. There's nothing in the budget for much fun stuff as I've already allocated it all, but I may switch things around a little to make some space for updating my wardrobe a little. Not much, just a new dress or sandals as I haven't bought myself any new clothes in almost a year.

I'm still catching up on others diaries as well which is so inspirational.

Have a lovely Thursday.

MTx
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I always find having a goal is a great idea for motivating savings and having separate pots for holidays, home improvements, new car and early retirement savings. Also allocating savings at the beginning of the month rather than saving what is left over.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • MuffinTops
    Options
    I get paid next week and am really anxious to just close this month down financially. I'm doing ok but having to move budgets about to keep them green on YNAB. I've managed to keep YNAB up to date which has been a great help.

This heat is getting me down as I'm not sleeping so well either. I'm meant to be battling the M25 this evening but just not sure about the reality of that.

Tomorrow I have a day at home for housework and venture dealings and on Sunday I'm visiting my Mum. I have plenty of diesel in the car, but will likely be running on fumes by Sunday and have no budget to take from anywhere to top it up before pay day. At a push I can steal a small amount from next month's diesel budget by paying on my credit card as I don't have any long journey plans throughout August.

I have enough food in to last me until I get paid, and on Tuesday I'm working in another office and travelling first class to get there so no breakfast or lunch buying will be needed.

It's probably time to be putting unwanted items up on eBay again to help push me ahead of myself and boost the savings pot!:o

I hope you're all managing to avoid the major intensity of the heat! Have a great weekend.

MTx
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,271 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Enjoy your weekend :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Tinkerbelle2000
    Options
    Hi MT :hello:

I've found you!! I am catching up with diaries at last. I can't believe how much time flies since I last posted on here.

So I am back to keep myself motivated and I will need the kick up the !!!!! from you from time to time, you know how I love to procrastinate :rotfl:

At least you have an idea of the plans you want to focus on and I think you have made the best decision to stay at work for the time being.

I still have a lot of catching up to do so I will be back soon.

Take card.

Tink xx
    As of 31st December 2018 Total Debt = £15837.59
    DEBT 1 - £41.10 DEBT 2 - £257.41 DEBT 3 - £584.12 DEBT 4 - £700.00
    DEBT 5 - £655.02 DEBT 6 - £669.18 DEBT 7 - £3448.00 DEBT 8 - £2169.12
    DEBT 9 - £2964.25 DEBT 10 - £4349.39
  • MuffinTops
    Options
    Thank you beanielou. I had a really nice weekend. I hope you did too. Roll on the next one :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback