PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Options

Comments

• Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    Thursday, we just had sandwiches so Friday will be hm lasagne & mackerel is moved to Wednesday.

Still nothing wasted or thrown away.

LFHW

MrsSD

Friday was sandwiches again so we had the hm lasagne on Saturday with the last garlic baguette from the freezer & hm garlic mushrooms. Keep rejigging the menu, so now

Sunday - full roast pork dinner, crumble & custard for afters
    Monday - leftovers from Sunday + extra veg.
    Tuesday - Toad in the Hole + Mash
    Wednesday - Mackerel in foil with boiled rice & peas
    Thursday - Fish cakes, mash, peas & sweetcorn
    Friday - mini scallops with ???
    Saturday - Venison Sausages, mash & beans

That should see both freezers practically empty apart from frozen veg & ice creams :)

LFHW
    MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • cat4772
    cat4772 Posts: 2,467 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, jumping in here.

we're away for a week and will likely have a few treats but for the rest of the month, we're using up food from the freezers, cupboards and garden (not much) and buying from the SM only those essentials we need.

today we've have HM Middle Eastern soup for lunch and will be going to my dad's for Easter dinner.

Monday will be butternut squash pasta from the freezer... the children didn't like it the last time I served it but the only way they'll ever get to like new food is to be served it (whilst hungry enough to try/eat it)!

Cat.x
    DFW Nerd Club #545 Dealing With Our Debt
    :onever attribute anything to malice which can be adequately explained by stupidity, [paranoia or ignorance] - ZTD&[cat]
    :othe thing about unwritten laws is that everyone has to agree to them before they can work - *louise*

March GC £113.53 / £325
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Had roast lamb today and with the left over meat I have made a lamb and mint pie ( pastry ys 6p).
    With the rest of the pastry I got some fruit out of the freezer and other left over pastry and made a pear (needed eating) and apple pie; gooseberry and apple pie; and with all the left over pastry, apple and crumble (also from the freezer) a crumble top apple pie.

For dinner - carrots not peeled - washed cut and roasted; cauliflower had more leaves than cauliflower!!! So it was like having two vegetables for the price of one!
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Am at my friends until tomorrow night so no cooking at all at the moment . My next dinner that I have to cook will be on Thursday as I am out tomorrow and tuesday night at the pub quiz,wednesday night in London for the day so I only have to make something for Thursday as I am out on Friday at a murder ,mystery dinner with a friend and Saturday night I am at a big charity quiz so only one main meal to cook this week :) so food budget will be small this week. :):):)
  • cat4772
    Options
    So the butternut squash pasta dish was as enthusiastically received as I predicted it would be. Although, the youngest did eat a fair bit of the pasta, she could only choke down one piece of butternut squash. The eldest made so much uncomplimentary noise you’d have thought I was poisoning her :(

Still, it has made a bit of room in the freezer :rotfl:

Cat.x
    :onever attribute anything to malice which can be adequately explained by stupidity, [paranoia or ignorance] - ZTD&[cat]
    :othe thing about unwritten laws is that everyone has to agree to them before they can work - *louise*

March GC £113.53 / £325
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Mrs_Salad_Dodger Posts: 4,891 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 5 April 2018 at 1:23AM
    Options
    Friday was sandwiches again so we had the hm lasagne on Saturday with the last garlic baguette from the freezer & hm garlic mushrooms. Keep rejigging the menu, so now

Sunday - full roast pork dinner, crumble & custard for afters
    Monday - leftovers from Sunday + extra veg. + mash
    Tuesday - Toad in the Hole + Mash
    Wednesday - Mackerel in foil with boiled rice & peas
    Thursday - Fish cakes, mash, peas & sweetcorn
    Friday - mini scallops with ???
    Saturday - Venison Sausages, mash & beans

That should see both freezers practically empty apart from frozen veg & ice creams :)

LFHW
    MrsSD

Menu rejigged again :rotfl:

Monday - full roast pork dinner, crumble & custard for afters. - DONE
    Tuesday - leftovers from Monday + extra veg. + mash. - DONE
    Wednesday - Toad in the Hole + Mash
    Thursday - Mackerel in foil with boiled rice & peas
    Friday - Fish cakes, mash, peas & sweetcorn - HAD Wednesday
    Saturday - Snorkers, mash & beans
    Sunday - Soup & scones, mini scallops with ???

Have been using up the frozen veg as well but still have plenty of ice creams :rotfl:

Will be defrosting the 2nd freezer sometime this week.

LFHW
    MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi ya chums ,been for a short shop this morning as I am away next week so its only a very tiny food shop,only spent £8.98 which is fine and I will get my main shop when I am back from my spring holiday.

Menu this week is quite short as well

Tuesday cereal for breakfast, soup and crackers for lunch, Quiz night so get a meal included in the pub :)

Wednesday cereal breakfast, eating out at lunchtime with DD in London so will only need a small snack when I get home in the evening

Thursday. cereal for breakfast, soup and crackers for lunch,Ham salad for dinner

Friday cereal breakfast, Scrambled eggs for lunch with crackers, out for dinner at a Rotary Murder ,Mystery dinner :)

Saturday cereal breakfast , chicken and jacket salad for lunch out in the evening at a charity quix night and get fed there :)

Sunday eat up odds and ends in the fridge as I am away to the IoW for a week so don't want to leave anything in the fridge

Everything will get eaten up if possible and anything left will go into a picnic for the journey

Frugally onwards chums

JackieO xx
  • cat4772
    Options
    my dad brought me some chicken chipolatas from Ald!, so I took some pastry from the freezer and turned them into sausage rolls - first home made sausage rolls I've been able to eat for 30 years... used shortcrust pastry rather than puff, but they were delicious. Whilst the oven has been on I've also made some large scones, 24 mini lemon Bakewell tarts (I should ice them, but I can't be bothered) and some buns. Some of the baking haul will end up back in the freezer but will be individually wrapped so that they can come out as and when.

tonight's dinner will be waffles and chips from the freezer with eggs and beans. Simple.

Tomorrow's dinner will be chicken from the freezer with jacket potato, lunch will be an aubergine curry with rice I found lurking in the freezer (a bit more space created).

Cat.x

March GC £113.53 / £325
  • purpleybat
    purpleybat Posts: 477 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    cat4772 wrote: »
    So the butternut squash pasta dish was as enthusiastically received as I predicted it would be. Although, the youngest did eat a fair bit of the pasta, she could only choke down one piece of butternut squash. The eldest made so much uncomplimentary noise you’d have thought I was poisoning her :(

Still, it has made a bit of room in the freezer :rotfl:

Cat.x

i must admit i'm with your kids on the butternut front. i REALLY don't like the texture of it cooked and left in chunks.
    however i love any pumpkin/squash made into a blended soup, esp if its lightly spiced and spiked with a bit of fresh chilli as a topping.
    maybe your kids don't like the texture rather than the flavour (i don't think it tastes of much). either way at least they gave it a second try.
  • pandamonium
    pandamonium Posts: 167 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry JackieO, I just mentioned your cookbook on the super frugal thread. You may end up with a full in box :o .
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback