PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Comments

• VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Morning all

I am going to get my arris in gear about food and start meal planning again. I get very fed up with thinking about what to eat and I think it's because I am doing it every day instead of once a week. Today it is just me here for dinner so i'll drag something out of the freezer but tomorrow i will plan the week up to and including Sunday...

OH needs to lose a lot of weight and i think this will help.

I am (sadly) quite excited...
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Thank you for the recipe jackieo. Looks just like I remember. Going to make some asap.

I'm still trying to work through the YS eggs before they go off. I've got about 30 left. Yesterday I made some banana bread and a courgette loaf which managed to get rid of a couple of courgettes from the huge pile of them I have. Seems like no sooner do I use one, another 2 take it's place. This was the recipe https://www.lovefoodhatewaste.com/recipe/courgette-and-sweet-potato-loaf

Today I'm going to roast a load of the courgette with some peppers, aubergine and onion which will be used to make a veggie lasagne and I will also add some to cous cous to serve with some salmon fish cakes that have been in the freezer for a while.
  • Using up the freezer contents gradually so this morning I used frozen broccoli, peas, onions and leeks to make broccoli cheese soup and I am making blueberry compote for puddings for a few days too, as soon as it's empty the big freezer will be offered on freecycle, no room for it where we are moving to so I hope it finds a new home.
  • Don't know if this is the right place to post, but - does anyone have a recipe for apple cheese? Thanks in anticipation!!
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Spent the day in the kitchen cooking - using the tomatoes from the garden.
    1. Tomato soup - which we had for lunch - used up onion and potatoes from the fridge. 1kg of money maker tomatoes. (Rest for lunch tomorrow)
    2. Tomato, red pepper and chilli pasta sauce - using up red pepper from the freezer. 1kg of cherry tomatoes. Divided into two zip bags and frozen.
    3. Sweet fruit chutney - 1kg of tomatoes from the garden, finished up malt vinegar, light brown sugar and sultanas. (12 jars - ready for Xmas).
    4. Ready prepped piccalilli - ready to make tomorrow - used 6 tomatoes.
    5. Made two batches of pastry - used up whole meal flour and 1/2 of ys butter.
    Tomorrow, I plan to make the piccalilli, meat pies from ys meat and if I have the time / energy some black currant curd - use up ys eggs.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • woodfired
    woodfired Posts: 368 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hello all.

A long-time lurker here, just wanted to thank you all for the inspiration. Some great ideas on here and I aspire to be as good as you lot at not wasting anything.

I made Jackie's melting moments this afternoon with my kiddies, they are nearly all gone! They are delicious and I am sure will become a family favourite. Thank you.

I also made a lemon courgette cake to try and use up some ginormous courgettes that grew whilst we were on holiday. It wasn't as successful as the biscuits (tasted a bit odd) but was lovely when soaked with lemon syrup to turn it into a drizzle cake. I have frozen some of it for DS birthday next month.
    I have frozen some grated courgette to make again at a later date but not sure how this will defrost.

Thanks again, I love this thread.x
    New Mortgage: £240 999 7/2/20Current Balance: £ 205 000 Aug 23Mortgage Advance £27 000 April 2022Current Balance £22 450 Aug 23Business Loan £89 000 Jan 2023Current Balance £44 499 Aug 23
  • Salmon from the freezer in the oven in foil along with a Tian which is rice from store, courgettes from the garden, home grown onions, fresh herbs from the garden a couple of eggs and some grated cheese and I'll serve it with a home grown tomato salad...roll on supper!
  • woodfired wrote: »
    Hello all.

A long-time lurker here, just wanted to thank you all for the inspiration. Some great ideas on here and I aspire to be as good as you lot at not wasting anything.

I made Jackie's melting moments this afternoon with my kiddies, they are nearly all gone! They are delicious and I am sure will become a family favourite. Thank you.

I also made a lemon courgette cake to try and use up some ginormous courgettes that grew whilst we were on holiday. It wasn't as successful as the biscuits (tasted a bit odd) but was lovely when soaked with lemon syrup to turn it into a drizzle cake. I have frozen some of it for DS birthday next month.
    I have frozen some grated courgette to make again at a later date but not sure how this will defrost.

Thanks again, I love this thread.x

Courgette and lemon cake is one of our favourites since we started growing courgettes.
    As long as you squeeze as much water as possible out of the courgette it should be fine. I find a muslin cloth the best way. I've grated it, squeezed the water out and frozen it before and it's been fine.
    I'm still showed under with courgettes and just seen a few more big ones on the plants. As long as you have a courgette plant in the garden you won't go hungry :rotfl:
  • Tonight - lo onion pasta for DSis; lo mushroom, chicken & pea risotto made into patties,covered with breadcrumbs & fried with a couple of fried eggs on top for DH; lo risotto, a fried egg on a bed of lettuce & rocket for me. Only some lettuce & rocket left which I will have for lunch tomorrow with a couple of slices of salami & a drizzle of salad dressing.

Both freezers now fully sorted & can now get back to a weekly menu plan :rotfl:

LFHW

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Not a recipe as such, but if it's anything like damson cheese (we have a damson tree which occasionally goes insane), stew the apples in some water then sieve, add sugar ( usually in a ratio of 2 fruit to 3 sugar), then cook down until you can draw a line in the pan with a spoon which doesn't immediately fill up.

Pour into a container and leave to cool. Wrap in greaseproof paper and keep somewhere dry and cool.
    2024 Fashion on the Ration - 10/66 coupons used
    Crafting 2024 - 1/9 items finished
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport