Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Options

Comments

• Archie_Jnr
    Archie_Jnr Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Managed to haggle £18.99/month for Sky Fibre Unlimited (38Mb) on a 12 month contract after mentioning MSE's deal with BT for the equivalent of £17.32/month (with the £200 prepaid Mastercard). Pleased that the haggling worked for once!
  • surfboard2
    surfboard2 Posts: 2,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Archie_Jnr wrote: »
    Managed to haggle £18.99/month for Sky Fibre Unlimited (38Mb) on a 12 month contract after mentioning MSE's deal with BT for the equivalent of £17.32/month (with the £200 prepaid Mastercard). Pleased that the haggling worked for once!

Any calls included?

Was this on chat or the phone?

With our broadband contract coming to an end, i was actually thinking of moving to BT for fibre, but if offered a good deal would stay.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    surfboard2 wrote: »
    Any calls included?

Was this on chat or the phone?

With our broadband contract coming to an end, i was actually thinking of moving to BT for fibre, but if offered a good deal would stay.

I wouldn't imagine that calls were included, as Anytime costs £8/month and that offer equates to free fibre, which is very good, nowadays.

I used to pay £16.70 for line ADSL and Anytime calls (free ADSL and half price line), but those days, when you could separately haggle on internet and line , seem to have gone with the new 'benefit' of combined prices.
  • Scientomology
    Options
    Sky TV + Broadband (ADSL2+) + Calls were £60pm (£32pm TV)

Called to ask for an offer otherwise to cancel and they mentioned that I have been a customer for 16yrs so surely they could get me a 'good deal'.

They offered for 18mths:
    • Cut the £32 TV Variety package to £19.60
    • Offered Fibre Unlimited for £11.01 (£8.99 off £20 standard)
    • Waived the £50 Fibre setup
    • Line rental at £18.99

New monthly charges: £899.10pa (£49.59pm)

Added £10 admin fee
    Router P&P charge for £9.95

Actual charges: £919.05pa (£51.05pm)

I accepted but rang a few days later to mention that I could get better deals on the Fibre elsewhere:

EE: £21.44pm x 18mths

Also that they offer £22.22pm for new customers to Sky..

They told me they could not offer me a better deal than they have offered already, but tried to persuade me to stay by mentioning that Sky have been working on a 'Loyalty Scheme' which will reward people for being with Sky for years. Apparently, this will be brought out in the next 6 months so I should wait and I surely will get a better deal.

I did not want to be stuck in an 18mth contract paying them nearly £10 more waiting for some crappy dangling carrot loyalty scheme so decided to switch to a new provider for the Fibre but keep the Variety package.

I think because I am on one of the more basic packages, I'm not making them much money so they won't rush to keep me.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Called to ask for an offer otherwise to cancel

This was your mistake. The front line staff don't have the ability to offer the large discounts. You actually need to set your cancellation in motion. It's then that the decent offers start coming in.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We tell people over and over that 'threats' to leave are pointless. You have to cancel and go through with it for the best offers.

A few days without tv (actually not without as you can still view the free channels) will not harm anyone and switch on,if you get a good offer,is instantaneous.
  • m5hit
    m5hit Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Just had my annual ding dong with SKY cancelled almost a month ago and the deal I have just negotiated (day before expiry!) is a 60% discount with a small credit, as below (pasted from chat):

Box Sets Bundle @ £38.00 pm
    Sports & Cinema Pack @ £36.00 pm Sky Sports
    HD Pack @ £6.00 pm
    Multiscreen 1 @ £12.00 pm

So your total monthly cost will be £92.00 per month. ==== If you rejoin Sky now with me I can offer you a flat 60% off on Box Sets, Sports and Cinema package for 12 months. So you just pay £47.60 a month for full 12 months offer period. (Saving you a massive £532.80 over a year)

Plus £20 Bill credit as a good will gesture.
  • Krinkle
    Krinkle Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How did you manage to wangle the £20 credit? To be honest it really annoys me that they won't discount the multiroom cost and the HD for sports charge is !!!!in' obscene!! :mad:

...my cancellation comes into effect next weekend, I still have the 60% offer showing on my MySky page...tempting, but even better with a credit...so how d'ya do it? ;)
  • pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tried my annual "cancel please" call yesterday, they offered 40% off but with a £10 admin fee and a new 18 month contract/commitment. Went through various options but couldn't come to any agreement.

Offer was Variety pack with sport and HD for £45.30 a month. Was told a note would be put on my file and no further discounts will be offered, so looks like bye bye Sky.

Have they really toughened up on retention deals or was it just pressure to sign up there and then?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Krinkle wrote: »
    How did you manage to wangle the £20 credit? To be honest it really annoys me that they won't discount the multiroom cost and the HD for sports charge is !!!!in' obscene!! :mad:

...my cancellation comes into effect next weekend, I still have the 60% offer showing on my MySky page...tempting, but even better with a credit...so how d'ya do it? ;)

I scheduled a cancellation and renegotiated at the end of last year and got the 60% on the TV plus £100 credit and free ADSL, when the phone/line rental prices went up a few month back I got them to keep me at £17.40 line rental and another £50 credit.

It's not difficult, just time consuming. Try online chat and just ask if there's any offers to keep you, be polite but firm.

If you're willing to let it go off you'll get better deals than mine.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback