Quick questions on Consumer Rights

Comments

• halibut2209
    halibut2209 Posts: 4,249 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    hazeyjane, hopefully this link will help you :)

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Consumerrights/Personalfinance-yourconsumerrights/DG_195731

When you sign a credit agreement, the law gives you the following rights:
    • all lenders should give you clear information about the credit agreement and must explain this information to you before you sign up
    • you must get a copy of the credit agreement – if you don't, the lender may need to go to court to make you pay back the loan
    • you can cancel the agreement within 14 days of signing up
    • you can save money by paying back all or part of the loan early – ask the lender for a ‘settlement statement’
    • you must be given information if things change, eg if the interest rate changes
    • you must get written notices from the lender about missed payments before they can take you to court
    You have these rights with:
    • credit cards and store cards
    • personal loans – when you borrow money from a bank or other lender, eg to pay for a car (different rules apply to mortgages)
    • 'credit sale' – the trader provides the goods and finance, eg you buy a bed from a store and pay in monthly instalments
    • hire purchase or conditional sale loans – you don't own the goods until you've paid off the loan in full
    My sympathies for your illness, but your best bet is to stick to the facts and law, rather than emotions. You will get further :)
    One important thing to remember is that when you get to the end of this sentence, you'll realise it's just my sig.
  • Thanks halibut, it's confirmation of the 14 days thing I was wanting really. Although I have just noticed it does say that on the Ikano Loans paperwork I have (I'm currently scanning it all in before going back to the shop). But as that relates to the credit agreement, rather than the order of the bed, could they make the order stand without the credit agreement? I don't think it will have got anywhere yet, as it was late on Saturday and today is bank holiday. To be honest, I really don't have the energy to be reading loads of T&Cs etc.
  • halibut2209
    You could be in for a battle, having read around

"
    You still have to pay for any goods or services you bought with the credit – unless you have separate rights to cancel these because you bought:
    • over the phone
    • by mail order
    • on your doorstep (eg when a salesperson visits your home)"
    Benson seem to be notorious for refusing cancellations
    One important thing to remember is that when you get to the end of this sentence, you'll realise it's just my sig.
  • The Bensons T&Cs also say I can't cancel. But if I cancel the credit agreement, what can they do regards making me pay? I'm hoping they're going to be sympathetic in the circumstances, as I really shouldn't have been making decisions about spending that amount of money less than a week after finding out my bad news.
  • Hello,
    A friend told me that if you buy something that is reduced in the sale, and then it get's reduced further in the same sale, you can claim back the difference in price - is this a myth or true?
    Thanks!
  • halibut2209
    Of course you can't
  • shellysue
    shellysue Posts: 359 Forumite
    I recently bought a greenhouse online, they delivered 2, we told them of their mistake and I emailed them on 20-04-11 and was called next day, lady said they would come and collect the 'spare'. I know we have had some bank holidays that might get in the way, but how long can I legally wait for them to collect it before I consider it mine :)
    Sue
    Do I need to eat it :o
    Can I afford the calories:eek:
    have I checked for a lower calorie version:T
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Somewhere between a long long long long time and never. :)

It's not an unsolicited "gift" as such - it a dispatch error; so the company still owns it. They're likely to sort out collection at their own convenience - some time when they have a delivery organised reasonably close to you so that the driver doesn't have to detour too far to make the pickup.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • shellysue
    shellysue Posts: 359 Forumite
    Thanks, that may be some time then as we live on the edge of nowhere:rotfl:
    Sue
    Do I need to eat it :o
    Can I afford the calories:eek:
    have I checked for a lower calorie version:T
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    squeaky wrote: »
    Somewhere between a long long long long time and never. :)

It's not an unsolicited "gift" as such - it a dispatch error; so the company still owns it. They're likely to sort out collection at their own convenience - some time when they have a delivery organised reasonably close to you so that the driver doesn't have to detour too far to make the pickup.

I think you mean the customers convenience don't you, as the customer should not be put to any INconvenience it not being their fault.

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure