Engagement Rings (merged)

Options

Comments

• Js_Other_Half
    Options
    My now husband asked me to marry him with the engagement ring he had chosen...

We had been looking at rings, and it was nice. However, I turned out to be allergic to white gold, and eventually we had the diamond from that ring set in a new platinum setting by a local independent jeweller. We then had the wedding ring made to match at the same time - I love my wedding ring:D (And I still think it looks gorgeous almost 2 years on)

The orginal ring cost £400, but then there was another £400 to have it remade in platinum with the same diamond.
    The IVF worked;DS born 2006.
  • Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    When we got engaged, we chose it toghether and that was nice, (also he had no taste!!)

;) I think my wife was glad for similar reasons!

I still stand by my conviction that Argos is a perfectly good jewellers.....I mean come on a sovereign for an engagement ring with a matching pair of hoop earrings , she'll love you for ever.... ;D
  • ashmit
    ashmit Posts: 622 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    A month's salary? Two months salary? Seriously... how can people ever justify spending so much money? My husband and I each got our wedding rings when we got engaged then wore them on our right hands through the engagement. Mine cost £9.99, his £17.99. And yes, we're broke and trying to dig our way out of debt, but I can't imagine we would have spent more than £200 in total no matter how much we actually had to spend.

But, all just my opinion, so feel free to take it with as much salt as necessary!!! :)
  • macchicken
    Options
    I know ill get abuse for saying this...but if you are only planning on doing it once then is it not worth the investment. Remember she is going to have it for the rest of her life!

Remember all you have to do is make a few sacrifices for a little while and you will soon save the money!

Consult a goldsmith about an individual design pinch a few bits from her jewellery box to get an idea of her style, eg, gold, white gold. take them along to the goldsmith for some inspiration
    That mrs macchicken to you!
  • KK
    KK Posts: 212 Forumite
    Options
    How about buying a gemstone on ebay (there is an amazing selection) that is unusual and then taking it to a jewellery designer or jewellers to get a setting made. The ebay gemstone traders seem to sell beautiful genuine stones with all the technical details and you could then get something really personal and unique. I have had all 3 of my rings made and they are all beautiful. Two were very good prices and one was average.
  • Jess_7477
    Options
    I got engaged about 18 months ago and our wedding is 29th January 2005 (Winter wedding, saving money!). If you live near Birmingham the Jewlary Quater is wonderful. We did spend a lot on my ring but brought it on 0% interest from the shop so our savings stayed in our bank earning interest.

One thing to consider when you buy an engagement ring is seeing what it looks like with the wedding ring, mine doesn't fit any shop brought ones because of the shape of the diamond so I am having to have one made. :)

Good luck!
  • heleen
    heleen Posts: 116 Forumite
    Options
    Take her to Amsterdam on EasyJet for the weekend and get the ring there. Do not buy any (big) diamonds in the UK because it is a total rip off!!!

PLus you'l have a romantic weekend paid for with what you've saved!

Otehrwise there's a guy on eBay who has some lovely stuff and seems to get good feedback:
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/DESIGNER-DIAMOND-JEWELLERY_W0QQsspagenameZl2QQtZkm
    I love it when a plan comes together :rotfl:
  • Willy_3
    Options
    Posted similar advice on Uk newsgroups recently as well, must be in the air ! ;D

I'd heard that a months salary is the rough guide as to what to spend. Fourteen years ago, as an apprentice, that came to £550. As someone previously posted, go to Birmingham jewellery quarter. We went looked around, and my then fiancee (now wife) chose a lovely 1/2 carat diamond solitaire on a 18ct gold ring. The pad price was £750. We went in, and she tried it on and loved it. I then asked her to 'pop' out a moment, while I chatted to the shop owner. 1 minute later, and I handing over £500 cash for the same. Looking back, I should have haggled abit harder,l but what do you know when your 19 ? My wife has never known how much I payed, but she does know I got a discount. The assay (?) of the ring stated a value of £750.

Two weeks ago, we bought an eternity ring for my wife. Again I haggled a bit and got the ring she wanted for £220, instead of £300. Quite nice as I had saved up £400 ! ;D

Two rules.

1. Haggle
    2. Pay Cash.
  • bbhcmike
    Options
    I never understand how in this day and age, companies are willing to give a discount when paying in cash. Surely it doesn't cost them that much to carry out an electronic transfer??

Still, I'll take the tips thanks and have a go. I'll check out the Jewellery Quarter next time I'm in the area and have a browse.

Cheers for now.
  • dizzzyqueen
    Options
    ::)

I don't think its so much as what you spend on the ring..
    More that its something you both like, and its what your bride to be wants.
    If she wants a curtain ring on her finger then so be it..
    Another tip is.... if you ever visit Heaton park in Manchester, go to where the boating lake was, and I threw my engagement, wedding and eternity rings at what is now my ex husband.
    Just think..what I could have sold em on for..

If I ever was to do it again, i wouldnt like to be suprised with the ring.. would rather we chose it together.. all sentimental and slushy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure