Lush gift boxes - not worth it!

Hi all, for those that turn to Lush for an easy birthday/christmas gift, please be wary of the huge price mark ups on the gift sets! Someone has compared the price of the gift box vs the price of the contents if purchased individually and you can be paying over 30 quid extra just for the box they come in!

If you buy everything individually, you could easily pick out 5 extra bath bombs & still have change to buy your own box to package them in. The markup is only a few quid for the smaller gift boxes which isn't too bad if you don't want the faff of wrapping them up, but for the larger gifts I personally think a £30 markup is a bit steep.

Especially considering most gift boxes at Christmas work out better value so a lot of people won't think to question these ones, assuming they're better value when they're not.

The full data can be found in the doc linked below:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11cfWDlbrf3J4AZlMfZrkU5bQ-z2b6pkibEN3ydYEZmI/edit?usp=sharing

Comments

• jackomdj
    jackomdj Posts: 3,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    To be fair to lush this is no different to most gift boxes, ie look at boots Christmas 'boxes' or the new trend of advent calendars (I was looking at the alcohol ones and they are a ridiculous price).
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Wait till the Boxing Day sales and get one half price!
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • IrishRose12
    IrishRose12 Posts: 1,732 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I have to say I buy lush gift sets quite regularly, and its never ever a difference of £30 odd, the most the difference has been is about £4/£5 but I'm happy enough with it as it saves me having to present it nicely and find a nice box.

I've started saving for the lush boxing day sale as I now get more for my money and the stuff I get lasts me for months
    Pay all debt off by Christmas 2024 £537/£3,500£1 a day challenge 2024 - £91/£730 Declutter a bag a week in 2024 6/52Lose 24lb - 3/24lbs Read 1 book per week - 5/52Pay off credit card debt 7/100%
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,270 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    jackomdj wrote: »
    To be fair to lush this is no different to most gift boxes, ie look at boots Christmas 'boxes' or the new trend of advent calendars (I was looking at the alcohol ones and they are a ridiculous price).

I get a beauty advent calendar every year and I look up the cost of buying the individual items online. (Sad I know). They would cost a lot more. Last years cost £70 and the cheapest online price for all the items was ~ £230
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You can make a lush-alike box using travel tins from eBay, shampoo bars from shops like Gruum who offer vouchers/sales, bars of soap from local health food shops, bath bombs from £1 shops etc. & buy silk scarves from charity shops to wrap gifts.
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    kboss2010 wrote: »
    You can make a lush-alike box using travel tins from eBay, shampoo bars from shops like Gruum who offer vouchers/sales, bars of soap from local health food shops, bath bombs from £1 shops etc. & buy silk scarves from charity shops to wrap gifts.
    Just jumping in to say the bit in bold is called 'furoshiki' and there's lots of 'how to...' on YouTube.
    I wrap my friend's birthday gifts that way, she loves it.

I've never bought Lush gift sets although my sister and niece used to, not sure if they do anymore.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure