Molton Brown hand wash and bath and shower gel

2»

Comments

• Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Brynsam wrote: »
    Interesting that they did a comparison between MB and another hand wash (Aldi or similar, I think) on one of the TV shows looking at people who are seduced by brands. The two containers were swapped and - guess what! - the MB was dismissed as unpleasant, sticky, poor level of perfume...

That said, I entirely agree that MB scent lingers like no other and smells divine, although I do wonder if I too would be fooled by such a swap. Probably!

This one?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4025224/How-avid-Molton-Brown-fan-failed-tell-difference-favourite-18-soap-Aldi-s-80-version-fact-preferred-cheaper-one.html
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,504 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I bet you need a big gloop for the cheaper ones. Mb I love I have about 5 bottles of the shower gel. Rosa absolute and rhuanarb and rose are my faves. You only need a drop and hey last for ages. I bet you could spend more than £20 on cheap showergels to lash the same time frame
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• whitesatin
    whitesatin Posts: 2,088 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    The cheaper ones may look similar, may even smell similar but, they tend to be harsher, with less moisturising qualities, in my humble opinion.
  • vacheron
    vacheron Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    They may be better quality than the generic stuff, but the mark up on "luxury" hand soap is still huge.

We like the Sea Kelp hand wash by Scottish Fine Soaps. They charge £10 on their website for a 0.3L bottle.
    I can buy a 5L bottle of it for £17 and the genuine printed pump bottle for 90p.

Cost to make 16 individual 300ml pump bottles at home: £30
    Cost to buy one bottle and refill it 15 times £18

Price to buy 16x 300ml bottles on their website: £160!

... and this is me as a Joe off the street buying tiny quantities, imagine how little it must cost to those buying it by the tonne!
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Branding is so very important to companies - which is why they spend a fortune building and maintaining those brands.

No matter what the evidence, customers will continue to believe in, and buy, a brand - even if the contents are proved to be almost identical to much cheaper products.

It applies across the board, but to cosmetic products in particular.

Nowt, as they say in the north, so queer as folk. :)
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Just curious - why would anyone pay these prices just for a brand label, when the contents are no different from the equivalents as sold in Aldi, Lidl etc at well under a tenth of the price?

Because you can’t give someone Aldi hand wash RRP 69p for Christmas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure