Turkish ATM

Korkyb
Korkyb Posts: 623 Forumite
First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
edited 17 October 2019 at 6:43AM in Budgeting & bank accounts
Hi all

Just withdrew 2000 Turkish Lire from Akbank ATM in Turkey using starling account (local currency).

Right at the end of the transaction the ATM advised it would charge 7.99% and asked if I wanted to proceed.

I said I did not but the machine continued regardless & gave out the cash (lucky I noticed as I was starting to walk away!

This will work out around 5 x the charge of other ATMs locally.

ATM instructions were in English so no error on my part.

Anything I can do or just have to suck it up.
Was it really "everybody" that was Kung Fu fighting ???

Comments

• colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    It sounds as if you used an ATM which charges for cash withdrawals. You can find those in the UK, too. The charges are levied by the ATM operator so if you have a complaint, you will have to take it up with them.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Wasn't a Euronet ATM by any chance?
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,278 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Contact Starling, obviously.
  • PRAISETHESUN
    PRAISETHESUN Posts: 3,711 Forumite
    You'll probably have to suck it up TBH - the ATM dispensed the cash so that is all the bank will likely care about. The fees are levied by the ATM operator. You might have some luck if you make a complaint, but I wouldn't expect getting too far.
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    What does it have to do with Starling? The fee is charged by the ATM operator, the fault where it proceeded with dispensing the cash after OP chose the option not to - again with the ATM operator.

If you feel adventurous you can try and complain to the ATM operator in Turkey, but I wouldn't hold my breath. You asked for cash, a charge amount was displayed on the screen, the ATM dispensed the cash charging the fee displayed. It will be nigh impossible to prove you picked the option not to proceed.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    You mean: don't contact Starling, obviously. They have got nothing to do with your choice of ATM.
  • Korkyb
    Korkyb Posts: 623 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 17 October 2019 at 3:50PM
    Cheers all.

At the moment the only money that's come out of my account is roughly what I expected before any fee (around £267).

Not too sure if the fee comes out separately but no sign of it at the moment.

I was bleeding annoyed when it happened so did contact Starling as soon as it happened (obviously ;-)) but as has been highlighted they said
    its nothing to do with them.

If a charge does appear later then its a lesson learnt (don't use Akbank atm's again) & time to get back to the bar & sunshine (life is too short to fight every battle).
    Was it really "everybody" that was Kung Fu fighting ???
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    colsten wrote: »
    You mean: don't contact Starling, obviously. They have got nothing to do with your choice of ATM.

Do contact Starling and initiate a chargeback if the OP has refused the surcharge and the machine has proceeded to issue funds.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Heng_Leng wrote: »
    Do contact Starling and initiate a chargeback if the OP has refused the surcharge and the machine has proceeded to issue funds.

How can the OP possibly prove if he selected yes or no?
    Also without knowledge of the layout of the screen and positioning of buttons who kinows if he thought he selected no but in fact selected yes. That is not beyond the bounds of possibility.

The amount of the charge does appear to be somewhat excessive.
  • JezR
    JezR Posts: 1,697 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Also the way these types of question can be worded on different ATMs can make it easy to push the wrong button for your intention.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure