Prepaid Travel Cards guide

Options

Comments

• robbierobbo
    Options
    Hi! First time here so not sure if a) this has been posted before, and b) if this is how you do it...but anyway... I have a Cash Passport (Mastercard) which I got a few years ago from Sainsburys's. Always transfer money to it via my Halifax Online banking account - and always a pretty quick turnaround. But today even though I see my Halifax account has been debited there is no money on my card. Rang up Cash Passport about another issue, and when I asked about this delay issue I was told it would take two to three days...it hasn't before. Is this normal - and why, when halifax tell me the money will be in the other account in two hours..doesn't it...and sheer interest...where is my money? Apparently if I give them my debit card over the phone money will be transferred immediately? What is this all about? Answers, clarification gladly received!
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Hi! First time here so not sure if a) this has been posted before, and b) if this is how you do it...but anyway... I have a Cash Passport (Mastercard) which I got a few years ago from Sainsburys's. Always transfer money to it via my Halifax Online banking account - and always a pretty quick turnaround. But today even though I see my Halifax account has been debited there is no money on my card. Rang up Cash Passport about another issue, and when I asked about this delay issue I was told it would take two to three days...it hasn't before. Is this normal - and why, when halifax tell me the money will be in the other account in two hours..doesn't it...and sheer interest...where is my money? Apparently if I give them my debit card over the phone money will be transferred immediately? What is this all about? Answers, clarification gladly received!
    Presumably the money is credited to a holding account and credited to your card in slower time.

There are plenty of better cards available which can be topped up instantly - Revolut, Monzo, etc
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have a Cash Passport (Mastercard) which I got a few years ago from Sainsburys's.
    There's no need to persist with such a dismal product, much better value and service with the modern solutions; Starling Bank, Monzo, Revolut, Loot.io
    Evolution, not revolution
  • patam
    patam Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Be very careful if planning to use Revolut. They have expanded rapidly and their customer services have not managed to keep up. There is no telephone number or email address with which to contact them only web chat, and this can take days for a reply. Even when they do, it can be just to say that they are sorry that you are having problems and that the resolution should be smooth.
    Their basic service of using the card for small amounts is good. Just don't have any problems, as you will be entering a nightmare. There are numerous complaints on Twitter and on Revolut Community. The comments that praise Revolut are unbelievable, I cannot believe that they are from real people.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    patam wrote: »
    Be very careful if planning to use Revolut.
    It's true, you need to be really careful how you use Revolut, to avoid any problems. Familiarise yourself with how it works and anything in particular that you want to use it for, and make sure you have fully verified yourself, before going ahead. They provide plenty of info, accessible in the app. If you're careful you can quite confidently use it as the sophisticated multicurrency tool that it is.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • dumbdodo
    dumbdodo Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 12 June 2018 at 5:50AM
    Options
    Hi,

I got a Weswap card as advertised on MSE and have been using it in the UK as it had more than £400 on it and I didn't want to leave such a large amount sitting on it until I go for holiday in November. I've done some grocery shopping and got some cash out.

Weswap contacted me telling me that I should use Weswap overseas and should not be using it in the UK (spending in Sterling). I've read the terms and can't find anything that says this.

Has anyone else come across something like this with WeSwap?
  • soldierboy001
    Options
    Only on this Monday gone I was asked for ID using a card for just 7.50 Euro in Madrid Spain. The reason given was because of stolen cards being used for swipe payments, normally pass code is sufficient.
  • soldierboy001
    Options
    patam wrote: »
    Be very careful if planning to use Revolut. They have expanded rapidly and their customer services have not managed to keep up. There is no telephone number or email address with which to contact them only web chat, and this can take days for a reply. Even when they do, it can be just to say that they are sorry that you are having problems and that the resolution should be smooth.
    Their basic service of using the card for small amounts is good. Just don't have any problems, as you will be entering a nightmare. There are numerous complaints on Twitter and on Revolut Community. The comments that praise Revolut are unbelievable, I cannot believe that they are from real people.

I praise Revolut and I am a real person, yes they have a lousy customer service, and I am in the process of trying to get this put right with the help of the banking ombudsman.
    The workings of the card its self is not very easy for an older person like me, but normal live chat is very helpful, it is when you need to speak to a live agent the problems start
    All things said I think it is a brilliant card and added help can be viewed on you tube, quite a few how to videos.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    All things said I think it is a brilliant card and added help can be viewed on you tube, quite a few how to videos.

Blimey! How hard is it to use that there needs to be quite a few how to videos on YouTube?

I've only experience with credit and debit cards. You stick them in an ATM and you get money out or just swipe/tap them to pay for stuff.
  • Monkeyboy42
    Options
    I saw the MSE email this morning and signed up for a Revolut account. However when I applied for the standard card, they charged me £4.99.
    I followed the link and applied. So should've been free. Anyone else had this?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback