Casual spending bank account

Comments

• peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    A second vote for Monzo here. I use it for my work expenses, I only use it with the debit card, it gives instant notification of spends and balance, none of this 'available balance' and 'actual balance' nonsense.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • AlanB1976
    AlanB1976 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Monzo does sound good in terms of keeping track of spending, but that I would want more for my main account, not so much this account. This one I pretty much only want to track the bottom line (i.e. how much I'm spending over a week/month) and don't really care on where it's going (unless there is a major difference at some stage). Essentially it!!!8217;s just replacing the £100 cash I would withdraw every now and then. That said, it may provide useful information on how I am WASTING my money. But is that worth the few pounds I could get back using one of the cashback accounts for using the card?! I!!!8217;ll need to check into the cashbacks first to see if I would get anything (e.g. there won!!!8217;t be any debit orders, etc. going out so may not qualify).

Thanks for the recommendations.

Alan
  • No_6
    No_6 Posts: 835 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Why keep a extra £50 in a Tesco account over 3K when it earns no interest,
    get a Tesco credit card with ?? months at 0% for purchases
    and you still get points.
  • radoslaff
    radoslaff Posts: 168 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    No_6 wrote: »

No you don't. You only get the points if you do the spending on your debit card.
    The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.
  • The_weedie
    The_weedie Posts: 51 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm using this too, it's perfect for my needs.
    18cc wrote: »
    If you have/use a smartphone then can't recommend Starling Bank highly enough...
  • HunterStone
    HunterStone Posts: 6 Forumite
    AlanB1976 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.
    I've got a joint account with my wife with TSB already. Shouldn't be any issues me opening a personal account as well.
    I wish I could use a smartphone. I've rooted my phone so android pay won't work due to security risk. Ironically, I rooted so I could add additional security.

You don't need to illegitimately modify your device to increase security. Both Android and third parties can provide comprehensive security against threats without rooting.

You are actually being more counterproductive by rooting. Anything installed from an unverified source can contain arbitrary code intended to attack your device - even if the source is still performing what was intended.

Rightfully the finance industry have turned their back on owners of illegitimately modified devices. This poses a massive risk for the bank, in case someone manages to obtain access to your money (which they will have to reimburse) and massive risk for you and any personal data stored on the rooted device.
  • AlanB1976
    AlanB1976 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You don't have a clue what I've done so how can you say I could do the same security without rooting? And anyway this is not a discussion on the merits of rooting. I never said it was unjustified that the banks don't allow it. I'm fine with that. I just said I wished I could use it.
  • No_6
    No_6 Posts: 835 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Who need points on a C.Card when you can have 16 months or more at 0% interest on purchases.

Money sits in your account, earning interest , if you have the right one or one's !!
    keep your money until it is due, just set up minimum monthly payments.

Just booking 2019 holidays, at a really good price and have months and MONEY to pay for them
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,105 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    No_6 wrote: »

Because I want to?

I don't shop at Tesco or collect points.

I've a 27 months 0% purchases card with 18 months to go. I'm in the middle of buying a house and was advised to reduce my stoozing debt from £30k to under £10k, so I am not using my credit cards at all until the purchase has gone through.

The £50 is mostly accrued interest and it is useful to know its there for a spur of the minute purchase of a coffee or to treat a colleague to one.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,016 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    radoslaff wrote: »
    No you don't. You only get the points if you do the spending on your debit card.

You do get ClubCard points on the credit card. It's the same as the debit card for non Tesco spending (1 CC point for £8 spend), but it's not as good as the debit card for in store sending (1 CC for £4 spend rather than 1CC for £1 spend)
    • Collect Tesco Clubcard points almost everywhere you use your card, plus your usual points in Tesco Terms apply
    https://www.tescobank.com/credit-cards/purchases-card-1/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport