Airport Lounge Hacks

Comments

• slinga
    slinga Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    As you are flying BC with Star Alliance airlines yes you can.

https://www.aircanada.com/uk/en/aco/home/fly/premium-services/maple-leaf-lounges.html
    Thanks for that.

So what's the 'best' lounge at Heathrow Terminal 2 that we might use??
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Some are very nice. Just a pleasant place to relax and we probably get the money back after a couple of beers/wine each. I suppose its real benefits are if you get delayed.
  • DUKE
    DUKE Posts: 7,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I've only ever been to the airport lounge in Cuba, & that was because it was really cheap.

Although ebookers informed me yesterday that seeing as I am now a platinum member I get 2 free lounge passes to be used at any airport. I think I'm expected to book with them again to get these though.
  • slinga wrote: »

I found the United one quite nice, and better than Lufthansa. Not that Lufthansa was bad - it certainly beats sitting in the general departure lounge area.

Haven't used Air Canada. I found it a bit confusing understanding which lounges you are allowed to use based on which SA airline you are using. Nothing to lose from turning up and seeing if they let you in.

If you're flying Lufthansa from LHR, you can at the very least use their lounge!
  • slinga wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

I've only been to the United lounge in terminal 2... it's good. Large bar with cocktails, buffet food and is quiet!
  • novelty-socks
    novelty-socks Posts: 271 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 15 September 2018 at 10:55PM
    slinga wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

I've not used all the lounges in T2, but I have used a few. This is how I'd rank the ones I've used - I used to fly with United a lot, so have bene to those a lot more than the others:

1. United First Class lounge: proper sit-down dining, table service.
    2. United Business lounge ('United Club'): good bar, lots of space, decent buffet
    3. Singapore lounge: only tried in the evening, food was ok, busy but had decent bar staff and a small kids' area that my son appreciated.
    4. Air Canada: only tried mid-morning - pretty average but the cooked-to-order pancakes were excellent!

If showers are important, the United business lounge doesn't have them. Not sure about the others.

Going way off the subject, I'm using the Virgin Clubhouse in T3 for the first time next week. Anyone know how it compares to these?
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 September 2018 at 7:44AM
    Going way off the subject, I'm using the Virgin Clubhouse in T3 for the first time next week. Anyone know how it compares to these?

It is much much busier than it used to be since it opened it's doors to Delta.

That aside, it is still one of the best lounges in the world, albeit you can get amazing service or wear the cloak of invisibility.

My tip would be to head straight to the spa and book your treatment https://www.virginatlantic.com/content/dam/vaa/documents/virginexperience/clubhouses/lhr-spa-menu.pdf then depending on timings head to the restaurant and order breakfast (the eggs Benedict is delicious) https://www.virginatlantic.com/content/dam/vaa/documents/virginexperience/clubhouses/6015%20LHR_Clubhouse_A5_menu_2017_Q2.pdf then find a comfy seat - the terrace upstairs is usually quietist. A few Redheads and then a clubhouse burger will set you up for the flight.

If you want to find out more about VS and the clubhouse you should read some of the posts (or join) VFlyer. http://v-flyer.com/index.php

Don't forget if your timings are good you can use Revivals on the return (if in UC) and outward has the fun of the DTCI (drive through check in).

If you don't read Headforpoints you perhaps should at least read Anika's review from the other day and in there are links to Rob's review of it. Rob's review is better as he wasn't short of time.

https://www.headforpoints.com/2018/09/04/review-virgin-atlantic-clubhouse-lounge-heathrow/
  • It is much much busier than it used to be since it opened it's doors to Delta.

That aside, it is still one of the best lounges in the world, albeit you can get amazing service or wear the cloak of invisibility.

Thanks, that's all helpful. I had a break from long-haul travel while my son was very small, so I'm looking forward to my first trip in a while. Good opportunity to try a new airline too - I was loath to give up my United status, but that's all gone and I'm starting from scratch again now!

My fare seems to include some sort of car transfer, so presumably that'll get me to the drive-in check-in. Didn't realize there was an arrivals lounge either - interesting to know!

Will totally check out the breakfast, as my flight leaves around lunchtime. Thanks again - looking forward to it!
  • slinga
    slinga Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    So in T 2 LHR can I go into the Lufthansa BC lounge and then try the United BC lounge.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 September 2018 at 2:26PM
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business