PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Choosing removal co.

I'm in the process of getting removal quotes. We're not just trying to get the cheapest, but far more concerned about reliablity, competence and honesty.
So far we have received one surprisingly low online quote (7 days after requesting it) from a local removal co. with good reviews but which is not affiliated to any organisation. They did not visit in person, yet have stated the quote is a 'firm' one. However, they require full payment in advance.
The second local company, is a B.A.R. member, established over 30 years, also with good reviews. They did visit in person 2 days ago and I am awaiting their quote (which they promised for the next day, but not received as yet.) I don't know their t&cs as they are not on their website; I assume they will come with the quote and would follow B.A.R. guidelines.
In people's experience, is there a decent layer of protection with B.A.R. members, or is it just one of those organisations that claims to protect the consumer but actually only protects its paying members?

Comments

• mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I would take all reviews with a pinch of salt. If you've got any friends, family or work colleagues who have recommendations then that's far more reliable.

The local company that I used a couple of years ago was recommended to me. They weren't a BAR member, but I couldn't have been happier with them. Polite, careful, quick and a very decent price in comparison to others.
  • Thanks - unfortunately there is no one we can ask for recommendations, as we live a long way from family and friends - and none of them have moved in at least 10 years :)
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Every time I have moved (it's been often in the last 5 years!), I've hired the same small local man + van firm. Two guys normally come and move everything perfectly well with no fuss, they cost about £100 to move a one bed flat (no packing we do that ourselves). No insurance (I don't think) but we just look after the stuff ourselves, and they are pretty careful.

I'm no necessarily recommending you follow suit, but making the point that quality and price aren't necessarily correlated. Like all tradesman, it's just about finding a good one. Friends and family are the best way to go.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks - unfortunately there is no one we can ask for recommendations, as we live a long way from family and friends - and none of them have moved in at least 10 years :)

Not sure of the answer to your original question, but can advise you on what I found from 6 quote visits.

I'm going with a local Edinburgh firm (The Home Removals Company, formerly Flat2Flat), so that may not work for you, but if it is, I'll provide the information. They do national moves, so maybe describing them as local is not accurate. I'm moving 300 miles.

My second choice was Britannia, which I believe is a national company. Very professional, punctual, and a reasonably priced quote. I'd have gone with them for sure if the above company hadn't edged it slightly.

Pickfords were next most expensive (also national company), but I found their communication to be poor. That can be due to the particular local agent but I always think a good company gives their agents good training and gets rid of them if they are poor.

Doree Bonner and Clockwork seemed very professional (esp. Clockork), but were by far the most expensive.

DMG (local company) postponed the visit to another day, then came very late, and then didn't provide a quote so they were by far the most definite "computer says Nooooo ...."
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • Thank you dunrovin - we're at the opposite end in southern England though.
    However, Britannia sounds like a go-er, as I believe they have (franchises?) branches all over.
    I'll look into that one.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,468
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Try a local FB group too if you're on it. The subject comes up regularly on most - and you'll often find the same removal firms recommended.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Thank you dunrovin - we're at the opposite end in southern England though.
    However, Britannia sounds like a go-er, as I believe they have (franchises?) branches all over.
    I'll look into that one.

The Edinburgh-based company does south-to-north moves, I'm just not sure if they have to be "all the way" (to bonnie Scotland)! They do have a centre down south so it is very possible, and worth looking into. If you Google Flat2Flat you will get their site (and also search for Flat2Flat in previous threads as there have been some good comments about them on here, too). The owner, Peter Bett, did my home visit for the quote and was very easy to get on with and gave it a personal touch.

You can get a rough and ready online quote on their site and if you are interested, they will then do a home visit. My quote ended up being very similar to the online estimate.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • hazyjo wrote: »
    Try a local FB group too if you're on it. The subject comes up regularly on most - and you'll often find the same removal firms recommended.
    Thank you, that's usually a good thing to do, but unfortunately the most recommended name (a non BAR member) has been uncontactable - their phone no is unrecognised. :(
    The search continues....
  • dunroving wrote: »
    The Edinburgh-based company does south-to-north moves, I'm just not sure if they have to be "all the way" (to bonnie Scotland)! They do have a centre down south so it is very possible, and worth looking into. If you Google Flat2Flat you will get their site (and also search for Flat2Flat in previous threads as there have been some good comments about them on here, too). The owner, Peter Bett, did my home visit for the quote and was very easy to get on with and gave it a personal touch.

You can get a rough and ready online quote on their site and if you are interested, they will then do a home visit. My quote ended up being very similar to the online estimate.

I just did one of their quick quotes (entering postcodes), and it seems they do cover our areas. Ive bookmarked them. I really liked their website. Thank you so much :)
  • pelirocco
    pelirocco Posts: 8,274
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    The BAR is an organisation a removal company can join , they do have a complaints proceedure but they do not offer any protection , although they do carry out audits of their members ( as an ex BAR member I would say it didnt maake any difference to the work we carried out )
    I would be very wary on getting a quote online , it is esential that someone visits you to discuss your requirements , they can then see what and how much you are moving , and to witness any access issues you may have .
    If you can , get recommendations , failing that trust your instinct when running through what you need with the surveyor , ask as many questions as you like , check up on their insurance cover , as we are noticing some new start removal companies , dont have the first idea that they are supposed to have special removal insurances and are running under goods in transit insurance ...this will not cover you

hope this helps
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family