TheAA (Richford) stole my car

Comments

• luxs
    luxs Posts: 15 Forumite
    Mercdriver wrote: »
    How can they be responsible for you leaving it for a full year before trying to do anything about it? Did you go somewhere for a year that had absolutely no contact with the outside world? Were you abducted by aliens?

They would have been responsible for that day's storage, but not for the other 364 days. Never in a month of Sundays.
    If after complain they clearly told me that they resolve everything and car will be delivered within few hours... are they responsible for they words?
  • dannyrst
    dannyrst Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    luxs wrote: »
    If after complain they clearly told me that they resolve everything and car will be delivered within few hours... are they responsible for they words?

You're not telling us the full story. If you honestly do want help...please write down exactly what happened, without leaving out any details. A timeline if you will, including all phone calls, letters, verbal discussions and when you left the country and came back.

Otherwise, I suggest you go to the police if indeed you believe that the AA have "stolen your car".
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    This has to be the craziest story I have read on here. Thanks for giving me a laugh OP :-)
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • luxs
    dannyrst wrote: »
    You're not telling us the full story. If you honestly do want help...please write down exactly what happened, without leaving out any details. A timeline if you will, including all phone calls, letters, verbal discussions and when you left the country and came back.

Otherwise, I suggest you go to the police if indeed you believe that the AA have "stolen your car".

- 03.11.2018 (Saturday 7pm) car was broken on the road (but i've manage to park it properly). 1 mile from home. i've retrun back home to call AA. during my absence few windows were smashed (i have police report)

- 03.11.2018 9pm Richford arrived and remove car from the road and refuse to deliver it to the garage of my choice due to broken window. and send it to Richford secure parking, in order to deliver it to my garage monday morning (05.11.2018). Richford Driver verbaly promise me that this service is free.

- 04.11.2018 email with AA documents = (Breakdown Report - from 04/11/2018 for Job No ####) Unfortunately we were unable to fix your vehicle today and have agreed to move it to: GARAGE ADDRESS

- 05.11.2018 8am I've visit the garage of my choice and give them clear instructions - fix my car and sale it on my behalf, and left signed documents.

- 05.11.2018 1pm car was not delivered and i've contact AA by phone. after conversation i've make a compalin about requested payment of £250 pounds for Sunday storage.

- 09.11.2018 morning I have one more conversation with complaint team, They confirm that the broken car will be delivered this day, all Richford fee will be voided and they send me a letter (We believe we have resolved this matter for you however, if you have any additional concerns or questions please do not hesitate to contact us, using the details provided.)

- 09.11.2018 after this document and after this conversation I stop monitor about this problem and start to do other job required my personal attention, including travel abroad etc.

- 25.10.2019 I've visit the garage and ask about final calculation after car repare and it;s sale. and they told me that the car was never been delivered.

- 04.11.2019 I've contact AA and ask about this problem and they told me that according they documents car was delivered to my garage.

- 04.11.2019 I've raise the complain about hteir service and AA discovered that my car is kept at Rinford and I need to pay £2500+VAT. (Our records show on 9 November 2018 we arranged for Richford Motor Services to recover your Nissan Patrol registration #####, to a garage of your choice and you would not have to pay any storage charges. However, Richford Motor Services were unable to speak to you, to collect the recovery location.) - despite they send me a leeter with this garage address... earlier (04.11.2018 ) and the end ( was your responsibility to find out what was happening. Richford Motor Services can be contacted on 01773 835192.)
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    - 03.11.2018 (Saturday 7pm) car was broken on the road (but i've manage to park it properly). 1 mile from home. i've retrun back home to call AA. during my absence few windows were smashed (i have police report)

- 03.11.2018 9pm Richford arrived and remove car from the road and refuse to deliver it to the garage of my choice due to broken window. and send it to Richford secure parking, in order to deliver it to my garage monday morning (05.11.2018).[/quote]
    This is hardly unreasonable, is it? Your car has been vandalised in two hours on a Saturday early evening. And you can't see why leaving it insecure for 36 hours might be a problem...?
    Richford Driver verbaly promise me that this service is free.
    So you say. Perhaps you misunderstood, and he said that the onward delivery was free?
    - 04.11.2018 email with AA documents = (Breakdown Report - from 04/11/2018 for Job No ####) Unfortunately we were unable to fix your vehicle today and have agreed to move it to: GARAGE ADDRESS
    Which is what they're doing.
    - 05.11.2018 8am I've visit the garage of my choice and give them clear instructions - fix my car and sale it on my behalf, and left signed documents.
    Irrelevant.
    - 05.11.2018 1pm car was not delivered and i've contact AA by phone. after conversation i've make a compalin about requested payment of £250 pounds for Sunday storage.

- 09.11.2018 morning I have one more conversation with complaint team, They confirm that the broken car will be delivered this day, all Richford fee will be voided and they send me a letter (We believe we have resolved this matter for you however, if you have any additional concerns or questions please do not hesitate to contact us, using the details provided.)
    Can't ask for a lot more than that, can you?
    - 09.11.2018 after this document and after this conversation I stop monitor about this problem and start to do other job required my personal attention, including travel abroad etc.

- 25.10.2019 I've visit the garage and ask about final calculation after car repare and it;s sale. and they told me that the car was never been delivered.
    And this is where it gets ridiculous.

By all means, get on with other things once you've confirmed the car's been delivered. Then, if the garage haven't updated you within a few weeks, chase them. But just to assume that because you've had a letter, everything's going to be OK, and not do anything for a YEAR...?

No, ridiculous.

You're onto damage limitation here. Somebody clearly dropped one last November, but at this remove, you are never going to find out with any certainty who it is. So how can this best get resolved...?
  • luxs
    AdrianC wrote: »
    You're onto damage limitation here. Somebody clearly dropped one last November, but at this remove, you are never going to find out with any certainty who it is. So how can this best get resolved...?
    That is why i prefer to do everything in writings, not verbally. to recover all possible mistakes later.
    Now I don;t know how to resolve it. because i don;t have finances to pay off storage fee.

Next action will probably be to contact some legal companies to look at this case...
  • luxs wrote: »
    Next action will probably be to contact some legal companies to look at this case...
    Which is going to cost even more money unless you can get someone to agree to pay the cost.

So we have a immobile and vandalised car, rotting in a compound for year. How much is it even worth?
  • luxs
    Which is going to cost even more money unless you can get someone to agree to pay the cost.

So we have a immobile and vandalised car, rotting in a compound for year. How much is it even worth?
    3k.... at the moment. +1500 for repairmen will make it 5k car.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    3k.... at the moment.
    Is that broken and vandalised, or in good working order?
    +1500 for repairmen will make it 5k car.
    No, it'll make it a £1k car that isn't worth paying to get out of storage, especially if you're planning on fixing and flogging.

Cut your losses, stop the bill escalating, then argue about a settlement.
  • I actually feel a bit sorry for the OP, assuming what they've told us is accurate.:)

Yeah - it was stupid and irresponsible of the OP to leave it for a year, but if he was assured by the AA that they'd sort everything out and he relied on that, then I'd say the AA were stupid and irresponsible too. (I can only speculate as to what would be a "good" reason for the OP to leave it so long - but that doesn't mean they could not have had one).

OP - have you got anything in writing from the AA which unequivocally states that they will sort out getting your vehicle from Richford's (?) secure pound to the garage of your choice, at no cost to you?

If you have, I'd write to the AA with a copy of that and complain that they haven't done what they said they'd do and you've ended up with a huge bill as a result. (It might be useful for you to explain better than you have here exactly why you left it so long).

If I were an AA member I'd expect them to recover my car and take it to a garage of my choice, if that's what the service I'm buying says. From the OP's version of events they haven't done so.

Of course, this is only one side of the story. (I suppose the AA may have tried to contact the OP umpteen times but they were "out of the country" with no contact arrangements...)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure