Santander Refer a Friend

Comments

• datz
    datz Posts: 159 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Luxchr wrote: »
    Has anyone else received any vouchers lately? I'm still waiting for a claim on the 10th April and one on the 16th

Nothing yet.

Still waiting on claims from 3rd April onwards (those from 2nd April and earlier have all come through for us).

That "30 day" deadline is getting near...
  • tg99
    tg99 Posts: 1,198 Forumite
    soulsaver wrote: »
    I'd have thought the prudent thing to do would be to wait to see if there is a deluge of forumites with issues.. if not, it'll be the o/ds is the issue.

If doing the switch over the phone it may also be worth confirming with them on the call that switching multiple accounts is fine and in accordance with the t and c / not abuse, thus meaning you can refer back to that recorded call if there is any subsequent action by Santander.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,245 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    tg99 wrote: »
    If doing the switch over the phone it may also be worth confirming with them on the call that switching multiple accounts is fine and in accordance with the t and c / not abuse, thus meaning you can refer back to that recorded call if there is any subsequent action by Santander.
    You could, but it wouldn't prevent the situation above from happening or give you the protection you may think it would (Santander don't need to justify a decision to end their relationship with you or enter into any discussion about it, and the decision will be taken at a higher level than the CSR you speak to). Furthermore, you might be incorrectly told that it is abuse.
  • bristolleedsfan
    bristolleedsfan Posts: 12,084 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 29 April 2019 at 6:03PM

If ask and get answer dont like even though isnt a breach of any terms and conditions then have to abide by answer, multiple switches have been paid out for myself and I would have thought many others.

In fact by asking kinda putting across that feel it is as on mind self guilt, bit late for many of us to start asking now .:rotfl: I would suggest say as little as possible during switch phone call. :lipsrseal

More answers might be forthcoming this week with what is paid out ( or not paid out)
  • tg99
    masonic wrote: »
    You could, but it wouldn't prevent the situation above from happening or give you the protection you may think it would (Santander don't need to justify a decision to end their relationship with you or enter into any discussion about it, and the decision will be taken at a higher level than the CSR you speak to). Furthermore, you might be incorrectly told that it is abuse.

True but imo it would give a good basis for a complaint albeit one that may ultimately need to go to the FOS.

Firstly, if Santander have explicitly confirmed in the phone call that all is fine then I suspect the outcome of any complaint regarding non payment of the vouchers would be upheld by the FOS.

Secondly, I know banks can end their relationship with you as per standard t and c but from what I’ve read they can’t just do so without any good reason. In a lot of cases they won’t provide the reason (e.g. if due to concerns over money laundering, suspicious payments etc) so complaint cannot be upheld as FOS won’t have any evidence they have not acted with good reason. However, in the case of the poster above a specific reason HAS been given in terms of abuse of the offer. Thus I think there would be at least some prospect of the FOS saying the bank were not acting correctly if they have specifically confirmed in the phone call that switching multiple accounts is ok and not abuse or against the t and c.

So obviously doesn’t give 100% protection but may be worth considering for some people depending on how they weigh up the risk and rewards of doing multiple switches and referrals.
  • tg99
    edited 29 April 2019 at 6:17PM
    If ask and get answer dont like even though isnt a breach of any terms and conditions then have to abide by answer, multiple switches have been paid out for myself and I would have thought many others.

In fact by asking kinda putting across that feel it is as on mind self guilt, bit late for many of us to start asking now .:rotfl: I would suggest say as little as possible during switch phone call. :lipsrseal

More answers might be forthcoming this week with what is paid out ( or not paid out)

Yep I know there is the risk also of being told it’s not in line with, or in the spirit of, the t and c but on the upside it does give some possible fallback if Santander subsequently claims you have abused the system and shut down your banking.

Just putting it out there as one possible approach for those who are wondering whether to risk multiple switches as opposed to those who already have (albeit after reading the poster’s detailed explanation it does seem very unlikely that doing multiple switches into an existing account would cause the problem....as others have pointed out seems more likely due to the high number of new accounts opened and the use of the overdrafts).
  • gavindoc27
    gavindoc27 Posts: 93 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    In hindsight I agree the overdrafts were likely a red flag. Of course, they didn't have to grant them and could simply have demanded immediate repayment (which I did as soon as I finished the call telling me I was no longer welcome). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's anything against using overdrafts in connection with these referrals? I think the overdraft offer is simply for switching regardless of a referral.

Anyway, I was informed that repaying them was of course required (letter I received afterwards actually states 28 days) but would not unblock my accounts. Still not welcome. So I still don't think I broke any rules, but certainly something to avoid (along with opening multiple accounts) to be safe.
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    gavindoc27 wrote: »
    In hindsight I agree the overdrafts were likely a red flag. Of course, they didn't have to grant them and could simply have demanded immediate repayment (which I did as soon as I finished the call telling me I was no longer welcome). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's anything against using overdrafts in connection with these referrals? I think the overdraft offer is simply for switching regardless of a referral.

Anyway, I was informed that repaying them was of course required (letter I received afterwards actually states 28 days) but would not unblock my accounts. Still not welcome. So I still don't think I broke any rules, but certainly something to avoid (along with opening multiple accounts) to be safe.

Can you post an image of the letter (blanking name and address)?
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,245 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 29 April 2019 at 6:54PM
    It looks as though you are conflating non-payment of the vouchers with Santander ending its relationship with you. I was referring only to the latter, and the former is governed entirely by offer T&Cs.
    True but imo it would give a good basis for a complaint albeit one that may ultimately need to go to the FOS.
    The ability to complain to the FOS is very different for the two aspects mentioned above, so let's deal with each separately...
    Firstly, if Santander have explicitly confirmed in the phone call that all is fine then I suspect the outcome of any complaint regarding non payment of the vouchers would be upheld by the FOS.
    If you followed the offer T&Cs and Santander refused to issue you with the vouchers, then your complaint will be upheld by FOS and Santander would not have a leg to stand on. That's regardless of whether you phone them to ask if it is allowed and regardless of what they tell you if you do phone. In other words, phoning them would have zero impact on your right to receive the vouchers.
    Secondly, I know banks can end their relationship with you as per standard t and c but from what I’ve read they can’t just do so without any good reason. In a lot of cases they won’t provide the reason (e.g. if due to concerns over money laundering, suspicious payments etc) so complaint cannot be upheld as FOS won’t have any evidence they have not acted with good reason. However, in the case of the poster above a specific reason HAS been given in terms of abuse of the offer. Thus I think there would be at least some prospect of the FOS saying the bank were not acting correctly if they have specifically confirmed in the phone call that switching multiple accounts is ok and not abuse or against the t and c.
    You would have no grounds for complaint if Santander chooses to end its relationship with you. It can do this for any reason, does not need to tell you what that reason is, and certainly does not need to justify it to the FOS.

This is governed by their general T&Cs. The only time you could have grounds for complaint is if your account was closed because of your race, gender, religion, sexuality etc. You would need to have some evidence of this to make a successful complaint and in this situation the bank would need to provide a convincing (but not necessarily just) reason other than unlawful discrimination for the decision.
    So obviously doesn’t give 100% protection but may be worth considering for some people depending on how they weigh up the risk and rewards of doing multiple switches and referrals.
    People should understand that anything they do for monetary gain that is out of the ordinary puts them at some risk of bridges being burned if the organisation concerned dislikes their behaviour. There is little that can be done to mitigate this. One thing that does usually work is not to be part of the group who takes it to the extreme.
  • bristolleedsfan
    bristolleedsfan Posts: 12,084 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 29 April 2019 at 7:58PM
    0800 switching team phone number has absolutely nothing to do with Santander RAF promotion, was in operation before RAF promotion started and will be in operation after RAF promotion has finished. ( not even mentioned on recorded message when says dial 1 for, dial 2 for...)

As masonic says there are two completely different issues.

1. A Bank telling customer(s) ending relationship with you

2. A Bank reneging on an incentive offer when T+C of that incentive offer has not been breached/has been met

Looking at a hypothetical example ( which might be reality for some people), Joe Bloggs has had switching incentive offer paid 5 times for repeat switches which means he hasnt breached/has met the incentive offer T+C, Mr Bloggs therefore arranges another 5 switches.

Bank not happy having to pay out so many times despite not putting limit in offer T+C tells Mr Bloggs no longer welcome as a customer, no more Amazon 50.00 vouchers.

Mr Bloggs accepts relationship with Bank is finished will continue to pursue Bank reneging on incentive offer as Mr Bloggs has done nothing wrong/has met incentive switching offer T+C/Hasnt breached switching incentive offer T+C

If anyone is worried about putting their relationship with the Bank at risk then as in all relationships best not to do anything that might be detrimental to that relationship I would have thought. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure