Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kimbergirl111
    • By Kimbergirl111 29th Aug 17, 7:00 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Kimbergirl111
    Help please fined for riding my bike what do i do
    • 29th Aug 17, 7:00 PM
    Help please fined for riding my bike what do i do 29th Aug 17 at 7:00 PM
    Hello I need some help,
    I don't normally ride my bike in this area but for some reason I was in a world of my own, and came out of a shop, and got my bike and got on it. Started to ride, but got stopped by some boy that works for kingdom enforcement. I would of stopped myself. But was too late, he was fall of his self, and said I was riding and it's against the law to be doing so at these times. I said what about those people he said I'm dealing with you and ignored me. I said those guys could stop them, but he wasn't interested and basically gave me a 60 to 80 fine! Yes I made a few second mistake, but I honestly didn't think, I don't normally ride on there any way, and every one always rides on it, so didn't think. And the signs ain't dotted in lots of locations, just at two areas front of the street and back, but not for everyone to see. I did get high ratted and moan, and I said il just get back
    On my bike then, instead of him saying don't do that other wise we will stop you, he thought he would be the big man, and follow me and harras me, and it was very intimidating and I was very scared being harassed like that followed! You could tell I wasn't going to get on my bike. So I shouted and said stop falling me etc, he said he isn't but he was, he !!!!ed me off. So I question one of his mates who also works with him, and he said that I done wrong have to pay, I said but why have so many people gone past and you guys ignored them, they didn't seem bothered. I felt like they where targeting me because I was a girl, as most guys riding past didn't get stopped. I see one man get stopped, and he told him off and said don't do it again, but didn't give him a fine! How is that fair, I even said to this guy his friend is harnessing me watching me and it's wrong, and he was sitting on a bench staring at me which a grin, i said all these people going past and his ignoring them and he could stop them, but his too busy watching me even though I was talking to another guy. I'm worried about this, him following me, like that, as his got my address as well. How can you fine some people and not others by doing the same thing! And then to continue to follow me. That's not on, surly, how do I get out of paying this fine, as I have no job and no money, and it's worrying me. Please someone help me with advice please
Page 3
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 31st Aug 17, 1:38 PM
    • 15,098 Posts
    • 14,796 Thanks
    Guest101
    I'm no expert on road traffic law, but I don't see how you can be fined by some random private company. I definitely wouldn't have given them any details.
    Originally posted by esuhl
    Its the council doing the fining. and too right too, cant stand cyclists who ignore the law
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 31st Aug 17, 1:39 PM
    • 22,818 Posts
    • 18,842 Thanks
    agrinnall
    As I have been citizen advice, and they said he is in wrong!!!! You don't fine one and not he other!
    Originally posted by Kimbergirl111
    I very much doubt if they did say that, because it's perfectly reasonable for one person to be fined and others ignored, one person can only deal with one offender at a time. As stated by previous posters, it happens all the time.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 31st Aug 17, 1:50 PM
    • 24,399 Posts
    • 27,195 Thanks
    zx81
    47 exclamation marks.

And only 18 sentences.

That's more exclamation marks than I've used in the last year.

Ladydee!!!!!

Like I said I gobbed off because of how he was to me!!! He was very rude towards me!!!!! So why should I allow that! Clearly this site is a lot of rubbish!! As I have been citizen advice, and they said he is in wrong!!!! You don't fine one and not he other! You don't harras and follow someone, regardless!!!! He see I didn't cause problem! But he targeted me!!!!!! No one in there right mind would stand there allowing someone to talk to you the way he did, so before you defend him!!! Consider how he spoke to me! As it's wrong! Maybe then you will understand why I acted the way I acted! I was calm from the start! And he allowed others to carry on that was causing more danger! He clearly only targeted me because I was female, then carried on harassing me! So no I'm not in the wrong!!!!
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 1st Sep 17, 2:09 PM
    • 3,938 Posts
    • 4,256 Thanks
    LadyDee
    Ladydee!!!!!

Like I said I gobbed off because of how he was to me!!! He was very rude towards me!!!!! So why should I allow that! Clearly this site is a lot of rubbish!! As I have been citizen advice, and they said he is in wrong!!!! You don't fine one and not he other! You don't harras and follow someone, regardless!!!! He see I didn't cause problem! But he targeted me!!!!!! No one in there right mind would stand there allowing someone to talk to you the way he did, so before you defend him!!! Consider how he spoke to me! As it's wrong! Maybe then you will understand why I acted the way I acted! I was calm from the start! And he allowed others to carry on that was causing more danger! He clearly only targeted me because I was female, then carried on harassing me! So no I'm not in the wrong!!!!
    Oh, don't be silly. How many others were riding on the pavement. If you hadn't mouthed off at him he would probably have let you go with just a warning and selected somebody else to "harass" and "target".

You sound like a spoilt, entitled, foul-mouthed brat, and if you are not any of things you should be even more ashamed of your behaviour.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 1st Sep 17, 2:48 PM
    • 1,427 Posts
    • 1,192 Thanks
    House Martin
    And once again... where were you riding your bike?
    Originally posted by KeithP
    Your ex Prime Minister, David Cameron was seen both riding on the pavement in London and going down a one way street on his bike.
    In his first manifesto he pledged to repeal the outdated and stupid law of riding on the pavement.
    The roads are now ridiculously overcrowded by mostly motorists.
    Cyclists are quickly catching up to motorcyclists in deaths on the road.
    Over in Europe they paint a white line down the middle of pavements, cyclists on the left, pedestrians on the right usually.
    The Police never stop for anyone they see riding on the pavement in my experience because they also feel its stupid restriction which needs overhauling in 2017.
    I see the intimidation by some motorists virtually every time I go out on my bike where cars deliberately skim by me by two feet, then pull out towards the middle after passing. We need a national UK law of 5 ft clearance to be in force with 100 fines for these saddo s who think its fun to see how close they can get without damaging their cars.
    Maybe in 1949 the law had some meaning..not now , and never will have until cars stop killing cyclists so often.
    Some idiot jobsworth in a phony uniform , with no real power has dished up a "fine " to big -up his ego.
    I would just ignore it completely, just like I ignored a private parking fine years ago
    Last edited by House Martin; 19-09-2017 at 9:22 AM.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 1st Sep 17, 6:19 PM
    • 18,986 Posts
    • 23,648 Thanks
    KeithP
    I would just ignore it completely, just like I ignored a private parking fine years ago
    Originally posted by House Martin
    Whilst that might've been good advice 'years ago', the OP would be well advised not to ignore her current predicament.

Indeed it is good that she seems to be willing to address the problem she finds herself in.

If only she would answer some of the questions asked, she might find more help forthcoming.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 1st Sep 17, 8:30 PM
    • 8,853 Posts
    • 7,768 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    The Police never stop for anyone they see riding on the pavement in my experience because they also feel its stupid restriction which needs overhauling in 2017.
    Originally posted by House Martin
    Its nothing to do with the polices opinion of the law. Pavement cycling is penalised by fixed penalty. When these were introduced for pavement cycling police forces were instructed by the home office to use discretion and only penalise cyclists if they were likely to cause harm.
    Last edited by Norman Castle; 01-09-2017 at 8:33 PM.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • rdr
    • By rdr 4th Sep 17, 9:46 AM
    • 309 Posts
    • 233 Thanks
    rdr
    thankfully, cars do not (yet) take rapid short-cuts along the pavement.
    Originally posted by Voyager2002
    I'm afraid they do, you tube will show you plenty.
    Mostly driving on pavements to jump queues to make left turns.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 18th Sep 17, 9:27 PM
    • 1,139 Posts
    • 1,012 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    Hello I need some help,
    I don't normally ride my bike in this area but for some reason I was in a world of my own, and came out of a shop, and got my bike and got on it. Started to ride, but got stopped by some boy that works for kingdom enforcement. I would of stopped myself. But was too late, he was fall of his self, and said I was riding and it's against the law to be doing so at these times. I said what about those people he said I'm dealing with you and ignored me. I said those guys could stop them, but he wasn't interested and basically gave me a 60 to 80 fine! Yes I made a few second mistake, but I honestly didn't think, I don't normally ride on there any way, and every one always rides on it, so didn't think. And the signs ain't dotted in lots of locations, just at two areas front of the street and back, but not for everyone to see. I did get high ratted and moan, and I said il just get back
    On my bike then, instead of him saying don't do that other wise we will stop you, he thought he would be the big man, and follow me and harras me, and it was very intimidating and I was very scared being harassed like that followed! You could tell I wasn't going to get on my bike. So I shouted and said stop falling me etc, he said he isn't but he was, he !!!!ed me off. So I question one of his mates who also works with him, and he said that I done wrong have to pay, I said but why have so many people gone past and you guys ignored them, they didn't seem bothered. I felt like they where targeting me because I was a girl, as most guys riding past didn't get stopped. I see one man get stopped, and he told him off and said don't do it again, but didn't give him a fine! How is that fair, I even said to this guy his friend is harnessing me watching me and it's wrong, and he was sitting on a bench staring at me which a grin, i said all these people going past and his ignoring them and he could stop them, but his too busy watching me even though I was talking to another guy. I'm worried about this, him following me, like that, as his got my address as well. How can you fine some people and not others by doing the same thing! And then to continue to follow me. That's not on, surly, how do I get out of paying this fine, as I have no job and no money, and it's worrying me. Please someone help me with advice please

errrrrr.......unless he can run 15 miles an hour it would be a fast chat!!! lol
    • missile
    • By missile 19th Sep 17, 12:34 PM
    • 10,352 Posts
    • 5,361 Thanks
    missile
    Maybe you should take more care in future :-)
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 19th Sep 17, 12:42 PM
    • 7,611 Posts
    • 5,016 Thanks
    Biggles
    That's not on, surly, how do I get out of paying this fine
    .. and don't keep calling me Surly.
    • discat11
    • By discat11 14th Oct 17, 7:38 PM
    • 436 Posts
    • 570 Thanks
    discat11
    To be fair you did admit you had stated to the enforcement officer 'I'll just get back on my bike then'.
    You can hardly blame him for then following you, especially if he's on commission for fines (as others have said on this thread).
    Following you after you'd already committed one offence when you had stated you intended to commit another offence is actually what his employer would expect him to do.

If you felt he was acting in any way above what his duties were then of course report him to his employer & the council.

If you hadn't already threatened to commit another offence you might have more of a case for that though.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 15th Oct 17, 4:31 AM
    • 2,938 Posts
    • 4,678 Thanks
    badmemory
    Is there an offence "giving cyclists a bad name"? Are you the one that rides up the inside at traffic lights & rests their arm on my roof? Or are you the one that rides up my inside when I am already indicating left and screams obscene things in my childs hearing because I am obstructing you. All the above give cyclists a bad name & are the reason many motorists don't like you! Get over yourself & pay up & learn not to be a **********.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 15th Oct 17, 9:01 PM
    • 8,853 Posts
    • 7,768 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Is there an offence "giving cyclists a bad name"? Are you the one that rides up the inside at traffic lights & rests their arm on my roof? Or are you the one that rides up my inside when I am already indicating left and screams obscene things in my childs hearing because I am obstructing you. All the above give cyclists a bad name & are the reason many motorists don't like you! Get over yourself & pay up & learn not to be a **********.
    Originally posted by badmemory
    Are you the drunk, speeding motorists who flattens a queue of people at a bus stop while texting? Probably not but you're a motorist so I'll blame you anyway.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 15th Oct 17, 11:16 PM
    • 9,073 Posts
    • 7,134 Thanks
    esuhl
    Is there an offence "giving cyclists a bad name"?
    Originally posted by badmemory
    Is there an offence of "giving drivers a bad name"?

Or is it automatically assumed that all drivers are ******s?
    • brat
    • By brat 16th Oct 17, 7:32 AM
    • 2,458 Posts
    • 3,112 Thanks
    brat
    Some cyclists do give all cyclists a bad name. It happens. But it's completely lazy, delinquent thinking, typically exhibited by a group who are looking for reasons to abuse another group to which they have no affiliation.

As Norman so perfectly expresses above...
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 16th Oct 17, 7:51 AM
    • 1,139 Posts
    • 1,012 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    Ride off and let him take your registration number.
    • Laz123
    • By Laz123 16th Oct 17, 8:23 AM
    • 1,509 Posts
    • 929 Thanks
    Laz123
    I like talking to myself too....
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.
    George Carlin
    • custardy
    • By custardy 23rd Oct 17, 3:35 PM
    • 35,109 Posts
    • 29,782 Thanks
    custardy
    Ladydee!!!!!

So how does the Citizens advice advise one person to stop and fine multiple people at once?
    Have they advised the Police of their daily errors in such cases?

Didnt this all start with you cycling on the pavement?.....
    • TyreLever
    • By TyreLever 25th Oct 17, 5:10 AM
    • 197 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    TyreLever
    Sorry my grammar is rubbish and spellings, I basically got stopped and fined for a two second mistake, yet others went on and they didn't stop them, they can't fine some, and the he followed me and to make sure I don't get on again! That's harrasement
    When people go fishing, do they catch literally ALL the fish in the sea?
    Sometimes my advice may not be great, but I'm not perfect and I do try my best. Please take this into account.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,918Posts Today

6,628Users online

Martin's Twitter