Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nessun_Dorma
    • By Nessun_Dorma 2nd Sep 16, 12:53 PM
    • 6,072Posts
    • 4,879Thanks
    Nessun_Dorma
    Absurd Oyster Top-up Process
    • 2nd Sep 16, 12:53 PM
    Absurd Oyster Top-up Process 2nd Sep 16 at 12:53 PM
    My son starts college next week, which is in London, Zone 5. In order to get there, he will need to take the bus, so we need top up his Oyster card.

As we do not live in London, there are no tube stations near-by and certainly no shops that do top-ups. So, we decided to attempt to top-up on line. He will not be travelling passed, or near, any tube stations along the way.

But, here is the absurdity; after having to wait twenty-four hours, the top-up has to be activated at a pre-nominated tube station. There is apparently no way around it. I spent half an hour on the phone this morning trying to establish some way of resolving this and all I got was, "that is the way it is."

We put men on the moon over forty years ago, but today we still can't operate a public transport payment system.

Has anyone else had this issue, if so, did you get around it and how?
    Last edited by Nessun_Dorma; 02-09-2016 at 12:55 PM.
Page 4
    • beckstar1975
    • By beckstar1975 8th Sep 16, 12:44 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 317 Thanks
    beckstar1975
    I'm zone 5 and commute to town daily, would be happy to help if you are stuck but sounds like you are sorted, it was a huge help when they started offering oyster top ups at train stations but sorry this doesn't help you either.

Does sound a right royal pain, and that your solution of driving and parking are really the only feasible ones
    LBM 11/05/2010 - WE DID IT - DMP of 62000 paid off in 7 yearsDFD April2017
    • Nessun_Dorma
    • By Nessun_Dorma 8th Sep 16, 1:22 PM
    • 6,072 Posts
    • 4,879 Thanks
    Nessun_Dorma
    I understand that there are no newsagents near you that do Oyster top-ups. That's not surprising, given that you are outside the TfL area.
    But are you saying that there are no newsagents near where your son is going (either where the college is or where he changes onto a TfL bus) that don't do Oyster?
    Originally posted by JimmyTheWig
    That's correct.

He could have walked a couple of miles or so, to the high street, where there is an newsagent (not sure if they sell Oyster cards though); but, to be frank, he will have found that a little onerous.
    • JimmyTheWig
    • By JimmyTheWig 8th Sep 16, 1:50 PM
    • 11,897 Posts
    • 11,426 Thanks
    JimmyTheWig
    That's correct.

He could have walked a couple of miles or so, to the high street, where there is an newsagent (not sure if they sell Oyster cards though); but, to be frank, he will have found that a little onerous.
    Originally posted by Nessun_Dorma
    Oh, ok, I didn't register that.
    Where we used to live in zone 6 there were plenty of newsagents that did it. Just assumed that that was the case all over London.

Have you tried putting in the postcode of the college, or the bus stop where he changes, into here:
    https://tfl.gov.uk/maps/oyster-ticket-stops
    ?
    • Nessun_Dorma
    • By Nessun_Dorma 8th Sep 16, 1:59 PM
    • 6,072 Posts
    • 4,879 Thanks
    Nessun_Dorma
    Oh, ok, I didn't register that.
    Where we used to live in zone 6 there were plenty of newsagents that did it. Just assumed that that was the case all over London.

Have you tried putting in the postcode of the college, or the bus stop where he changes, into here:
    https://tfl.gov.uk/maps/oyster-ticket-stops
    ?
    That's a useful tool, I agree, but it's not going to make the college, the bus stop, or the station any closer together.
    • JimmyTheWig
    • By JimmyTheWig 8th Sep 16, 2:05 PM
    • 11,897 Posts
    • 11,426 Thanks
    JimmyTheWig
    That's a useful tool, I agree, but it's not going to make the college, the bus stop, or the station any closer together.
    It's not, you're right.
    But that's not what you need. What you need is somewhere close to the college or bus stop (or station? Is there a station involved?) where he can top up.
    Which that link might find.
    • Nessun_Dorma
    • By Nessun_Dorma 8th Sep 16, 2:08 PM
    • 6,072 Posts
    • 4,879 Thanks
    Nessun_Dorma
    It's not, you're right.
    But that's not what you need. What you need is somewhere close to the college or bus stop (or station? Is there a station involved?) where he can top up.
    Which that link might find.
    The point I was making was that I have already looked for all options that could be considered.
    • JimmyTheWig
    • By JimmyTheWig 8th Sep 16, 2:49 PM
    • 11,897 Posts
    • 11,426 Thanks
    JimmyTheWig
    The point I was making was that I have already looked for all options that could be considered.
    But isn't the point of a forum like this to see if the collective intelligence can do better than the one person with a problem?
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 9th Sep 16, 12:56 AM
    • 18,662 Posts
    • 15,598 Thanks
    wealdroam
    But isn't the point of a forum like this to see if the collective intelligence can do better than the one person with a problem?
    Yes, it is.
    • smsm1
    • By smsm1 9th Sep 16, 9:54 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    smsm1
    Ah thanks guys never knew that. My oysters is registered but can't see 12 months but can see enough to keep an eye on it.
    Originally posted by Shelldean
    Oyster cards only get 8 weeks history, whilst with contactless you can get up to 12 months history.

Longer term All the features of the Oyster will be available on contactless. Currently some journeys can be cheaper on contactless than Oyster due to oddities in the capping.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

434Posts Today

4,202Users online

Martin's Twitter