Absurd Oyster Top-up Process

Comments

• martindow wrote: »
    If he can manage an Oyster card he would be able to use the card from an account like this in just the same way. There would be no need for him to deal with the bank account beyond this - you could top up the account in the same way as you would with the Oyster card.

There is one huge difference between having an Oyster card, where the money is safe and secure and having access to a current account that has all his money in.
  • Shelldean wrote: »
    Can't help with your dilemma but have you got him a normal oyster or a zip 16+ one?

Rather frustratingly, he has lost his Zipcard, last week. We are waiting for a replacement, so he is using my Oyster card until the new arrives. It can take up to ten working days apparently.
  • wealdroam wrote: »
    Did your daughter learn from her mistake?

That is not very helpful when you have a young child stranded.
  • You can't get a zip 16+ if you live outside a London borough.

Yes you can.
  • ehlo wrote: »
    Surely there are some very easy options here....

• Get a contactless gift card and use this on the underground
    • Order a new Oyster card that will come with the amount of credit you specify. This will mean you have the pay an additional £5 deposit
    • Top up the oyster card at one of the self service machines in the station that takes cash

He is taking the bus, not the tube.
  • ehlo
    ehlo Posts: 397 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    He is taking the bus, not the tube.

My points are nevertheless valid for anywhere that Oyster is taken.

Are you looking for a solution to your problem or just an outlet to rant? :)
  • Shelldean
    Shelldean Posts: 2,391 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Rather frustratingly, he has lost his Zipcard, last week. We are waiting for a replacement, so he is using my Oyster card until the new arrives. It can take up to ten working days apparently.

It's usually quicker judging from my past experience.

One of my boys was forever losing his. He had more oysters than his siblings put together. His two brothers and sister had two each. 11- 16 and 16+. His sister also had an 18+ one that she now uses as a normal oyster (she's 24)

Would help if you could pay cash for the odd journey
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    A lot of people still prefer Oysters as if the charge is incorrect you can reclaim the error. With contactless you can not.
    Not sure where you got that information from.
    Care to enlighten us?
  • Shelldean
    Shelldean Posts: 2,391 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I prefer oyster as I can check up what's been charged for which segment of the journey. Don't think that can be done on contactless can it?
    Been overcharged a few times and by looking every few weeks I can claim them back. If it was on contactless it just shows as one charge doesn't it?
  • ehlo
    ehlo Posts: 397 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Shelldean wrote: »
    I prefer oyster as I can check up what's been charged for which segment of the journey. Don't think that can be done on contactless can it?
    Been overcharged a few times and by looking every few weeks I can claim them back. If it was on contactless it just shows as one charge doesn't it?

It will show as a single charge on your card statement but if you register the contactless card against your oyster account you can still see itemised journeys through the oyster website :).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure