Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nessun_Dorma
    • By Nessun_Dorma 2nd Sep 16, 12:53 PM
    • 6,072Posts
    • 4,879Thanks
    Nessun_Dorma
    Absurd Oyster Top-up Process
    • 2nd Sep 16, 12:53 PM
    Absurd Oyster Top-up Process 2nd Sep 16 at 12:53 PM
    My son starts college next week, which is in London, Zone 5. In order to get there, he will need to take the bus, so we need top up his Oyster card.

As we do not live in London, there are no tube stations near-by and certainly no shops that do top-ups. So, we decided to attempt to top-up on line. He will not be travelling passed, or near, any tube stations along the way.

But, here is the absurdity; after having to wait twenty-four hours, the top-up has to be activated at a pre-nominated tube station. There is apparently no way around it. I spent half an hour on the phone this morning trying to establish some way of resolving this and all I got was, "that is the way it is."

We put men on the moon over forty years ago, but today we still can't operate a public transport payment system.

Has anyone else had this issue, if so, did you get around it and how?
    Last edited by Nessun_Dorma; 02-09-2016 at 12:55 PM.
Page 3
    • ehlo
    • By ehlo 3rd Sep 16, 10:15 PM
    • 388 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    ehlo
    I prefer oyster as I can check up what's been charged for which segment of the journey. Don't think that can be done on contactless can it?
    Been overcharged a few times and by looking every few weeks I can claim them back. If it was on contactless it just shows as one charge doesn't it?
    Originally posted by Shelldean
    It will show as a single charge on your card statement but if you register the contactless card against your oyster account you can still see itemised journeys through the oyster website .
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 3rd Sep 16, 10:27 PM
    • 18,662 Posts
    • 15,598 Thanks
    wealdroam
    I prefer oyster as I can check up what's been charged for which segment of the journey. Don't think that can be done on contactless can it?
    Been overcharged a few times and by looking every few weeks I can claim them back. If it was on contactless it just shows as one charge doesn't it?
    Originally posted by Shelldean
    Journey history is available for contactless just as it is for Oyster.

I.e. if you don't register your card then you can only see seven days detailed history, but if you have registered you card then twelve months detailed history is available.

This is exactly the same for oyster or contactless.
    • stockton
    • By stockton 4th Sep 16, 12:23 AM
    • 334 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    stockton
    I visit London once or twice a year and prefer the Oyster. In a week of jumping on and off buses and trains visiting the attractions and night life I may use the Oyster fifty times or more. If I lose the Oyster I wont lose any sleep over it but with a contactless it would be different.

For the young and fit, contactless is probably the natural way to go but for pensioners like myself, and perhaps disabled people, Oyster provides more of a safety net.
    • lush walrus
    • By lush walrus 4th Sep 16, 8:39 AM
    • 1,931 Posts
    • 1,605 Thanks
    lush walrus
    Not sure where you got that information from.
    Care to enlighten us?
    Originally posted by wealdroam
    Nope I do not care to anything to benefit someone with your disparaging tone.
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 4th Sep 16, 11:31 AM
    • 20,756 Posts
    • 12,856 Thanks
    dacouch
    Can he not just buy an Oyster from a Tube/Train station when he gets into London or most newsagents in London sell them now as well as allowing you to top them up
    • Shelldean
    • By Shelldean 4th Sep 16, 12:28 PM
    • 2,105 Posts
    • 1,337 Thanks
    Shelldean
    Journey history is available for contactless just as it is for Oyster.

I.e. if you don't register your card then you can only see seven days detailed history, but if you have registered you card then twelve months detailed history is available.

This is exactly the same for oyster or contactless.
    It will show as a single charge on your card statement but if you register the contactless card against your oyster account you can still see itemised journeys through the oyster website .
    Originally posted by ehlo

Ah thanks guys never knew that. My oysters is registered but can't see 12 months but can see enough to keep an eye on it.
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 4th Sep 16, 12:35 PM
    • 16,623 Posts
    • 134,530 Thanks
    zagubov
    As some have mentioned, the Oyster card has some advantages over contactless. I know people who carry their change from purchases in shops as Oyster credit (ie they get corner shop staff to put the change on their oyster card when paying cash).
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • missbiggles1
    • By missbiggles1 4th Sep 16, 12:39 PM
    • 16,254 Posts
    • 30,257 Thanks
    missbiggles1
    I visit London once or twice a year and prefer the Oyster. In a week of jumping on and off buses and trains visiting the attractions and night life I may use the Oyster fifty times or more. If I lose the Oyster I wont lose any sleep over it but with a contactless it would be different.

For the young and fit, contactless is probably the natural way to go but for pensioners like myself, and perhaps disabled people, Oyster provides more of a safety net.
    Originally posted by stockton
    I'm a pensioner myself and went to London earlier this year for the first time in over 10 years. I was amazed how simple it was to travel using contactless and I'm looking forward to doing so when I visit again next week.
    • stockton
    • By stockton 4th Sep 16, 2:41 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    stockton
    I'm a pensioner myself and went to London earlier this year for the first time in over 10 years. I was amazed how simple it was to travel using contactless and I'm looking forward to doing so when I visit again next week.
    Originally posted by missbiggles1

I think what this thread has shown is that people have a variety of reasons for the choices they make and what suits one does not suit another.
    Last edited by stockton; 06-09-2017 at 1:36 PM.
    • warehouse
    • By warehouse 4th Sep 16, 2:51 PM
    • 3,137 Posts
    • 5,868 Thanks
    warehouse
    Did your daughter learn from her mistake?
    Let's hope your kids are a bit more perfect.
    Pants
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 4th Sep 16, 4:14 PM
    • 18,662 Posts
    • 15,598 Thanks
    wealdroam
    That is not very helpful when you have a young child stranded.
    Originally posted by Nessun_Dorma
    Young child?

Were we told the daughter's age?
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 5th Sep 16, 5:52 PM
    • 2,806 Posts
    • 2,441 Thanks
    giraffe69
    A lot of people still prefer Oysters as if the charge is incorrect you can reclaim the error. With contactless you can not.
    Yes you can. I had a refund last week.

Not sure where you got that information from.
    Care to enlighten us?
    Nope I do not care to anything to benefit someone with your disparaging tone.
    Better not to talk uninformed nonsense then.
    • Nessun_Dorma
    • By Nessun_Dorma 8th Sep 16, 10:41 AM
    • 6,072 Posts
    • 4,879 Thanks
    Nessun_Dorma

Originally posted by stockton
    Perhaps, but for the ad hoc journey, for those who do not live on London, who just want to take a bus for a couple of miles, they cannot, without going to a tube station first, to get a card.

From what I understand, some bus stops, in central London, have ticket machines, but they don't seem to exist in the suburbs.
    • Nessun_Dorma
    • By Nessun_Dorma 8th Sep 16, 10:43 AM
    • 6,072 Posts
    • 4,879 Thanks
    Nessun_Dorma
    Can he not just buy an Oyster from a Tube/Train station when he gets into London or most newsagents in London sell them now as well as allowing you to top them up
    Originally posted by dacouch
    I don't want to sound rude (and I apologise if this does sound rude), but I have said a couple of times in the thread that he wont be going anywhere near a tube station.
    • Nessun_Dorma
    • By Nessun_Dorma 8th Sep 16, 10:45 AM
    • 6,072 Posts
    • 4,879 Thanks
    Nessun_Dorma
    Young child?

Were we told the daughter's age?
    Daughter?

• wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 8th Sep 16, 11:16 AM
    • 18,662 Posts
    • 15,598 Thanks
    wealdroam
    Daughter?

Yes, daughter.

I was responding to Warehouse's post:
    My daughter once got stuck in Central London with not enough credit on her card to get home.
    Originally posted by warehouse
    • Nessun_Dorma
    • By Nessun_Dorma 8th Sep 16, 11:45 AM
    • 6,072 Posts
    • 4,879 Thanks
    Nessun_Dorma
    Yes, daughter.

I was responding to Warehouse's post:
    Aah....I see now.
    • JimmyTheWig
    • By JimmyTheWig 8th Sep 16, 12:21 PM
    • 11,895 Posts
    • 11,424 Thanks
    JimmyTheWig
    I don't want to sound rude (and I apologise if this does sound rude), but I have said a couple of times in the thread that he wont be going anywhere near a tube station.
    Fair enough he won't be going near a tube station (I'm guessing it's south of the river, which they didn't seem to have thought about when they put these plans in place) but dacouch also said he can top up in London newsagents.
    • Nessun_Dorma
    • By Nessun_Dorma 8th Sep 16, 12:30 PM
    • 6,072 Posts
    • 4,879 Thanks
    Nessun_Dorma
    Fair enough he won't be going near a tube station (I'm guessing it's south of the river, which they didn't seem to have thought about when they put these plans in place) but dacouch also said he can top up in London newsagents.
    Originally posted by JimmyTheWig
    Again, as mentioned a couple of times in the thread, there are none.
    • JimmyTheWig
    • By JimmyTheWig 8th Sep 16, 12:39 PM
    • 11,895 Posts
    • 11,424 Thanks
    JimmyTheWig
    Again, as mentioned a couple of times in the thread, there are none.
    I understand that there are no newsagents near you that do Oyster top-ups. That's not surprising, given that you are outside the TfL area.
    But are you saying that there are no newsagents near where your son is going (either where the college is or where he changes onto a TfL bus) that don't do Oyster?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

202Posts Today

2,166Users online

Martin's Twitter