Menstrual Money Saving

Comments

• KentishLady
    KentishLady Posts: 293 Forumite
    flea72 wrote: »
    Getting it open?

Umm yeh - you fold it to make it smaller then once in place it is supposed to unfold or pop back into shape - thats the bit I havent manage to get right yet - tried the C fold, the punchdown fold, the 7 fold and the origami fold but it stayed resolutely folded or only partly unfolded.

Apparently there are more folds to try (according to one website there is a further 5 folds!) so I will keep at it until it works.

KL.
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Umm yeh - you fold it to make it smaller then once in place it is supposed to unfold or pop back into shape - thats the bit I havent manage to get right yet - tried the C fold, the punchdown fold, the 7 fold and the origami fold but it stayed resolutely folded or only partly unfolded.

Apparently there are more folds to try (according to one website there is a further 5 folds!) so I will keep at it until it works.

KL.

Ok, its doesnt 'pop' open. Your muscles will be holding it closed to some extent, so it will gradually unfurl as you move about and it find where it needs to settle. Personally i find how far in it is, has more effect on how it unfurls, rather than the fold used
  • Umm yeh - you fold it to make it smaller then once in place it is supposed to unfold or pop back into shape - thats the bit I havent manage to get right yet - tried the C fold, the punchdown fold, the 7 fold and the origami fold but it stayed resolutely folded or only partly unfolded.

KL.

I had issues to start with. I use the C fold. I find it easiest to tell if its opened up or not properly with this one.

Despite not feeling as though you are, I think its really easy to tense up a bit. I used to find it quite uncomfortable to remove the FemmeCup but it doesn't bother me in the slightest now, think I've just toughened up!

I find that my cervix lies differently (usually lower) some days which makes it harder to get it in the right place. Before it has opened up but not around my cervix = classic disaster as soon as you move around or leave the house! :eek:

So I try to stop the tendency of shoving it up really far (sorry to be blunt!) because I'm more likely to position it incorrectly.

My method is:

1) Hold it in C fold in whichever hand you write with (thumb and middle finger)

2) Insert but twist a little at the same time. Mine is never not open if I twist it to give it chance to open.

3) Run my middle finger around the entire circumference to make sure that my cervix is covered, and that it definitely isn't folded.

I also cut the stem off. The stem would basically barely be in me otherwise. But the cup sits low enough to squeeze the base of it to release the seal.
    flea72 wrote: »
    Ok, its doesnt 'pop' open. Your muscles will be holding it closed to some extent, so it will gradually unfurl as you move about and it find where it needs to settle. Personally i find how far in it is, has more effect on how it unfurls, rather than the fold used

I disagree that it should be closed. If mine isn't open properly immediately after insertion then it will 100% leak. This is where I was going wrong. I thought that if it felt a bit flat in certain positions, that it would open out when I moved about but sometimes it did and sometimes it didn't.
  • basilplant
    basilplant Posts: 22 Forumite
    Can anyone give an idea as to how long a mooncup should last? I see they are £19.99 on the website. I use approximately a pack and a half of non-applicator tampons per month which works out at 65p a pack or about 98p a month...so I'd need the mooncup to last the best part of two years to be value for money.
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    I've had mine over 5 years still as good as when first bought.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • Azmataz
    Azmataz Posts: 137 Forumite
    I bought mine in the (very) early 2000's. Granted, I haven't used it that entire time - I had extended breaks in using it - but it's still going strong. Awesome invention. :cool:
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    basilplant wrote: »
    Can anyone give an idea as to how long a mooncup should last? I see they are £19.99 on the website. I use approximately a pack and a half of non-applicator tampons per month which works out at 65p a pack or about 98p a month...so I'd need the mooncup to last the best part of two years to be value for money.
    They can last up to 10 years. However, it does depend on your circumstances - there's two different sizes, one for under 30's and women who haven't given birth, and the other for the opposite - so if you'll change sizes within 10 years then yours wouldn't last that long.

I also managed to melt my MeLuna (a different brand, but the same idea) by leaving it to boil too long. This was a few years ago, but they changed the design and I still haven't got over it because the new one isn't as good :cry:
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Mine has lasted 5 years and is still going fine.
  • I have been using cloth pads too but will try to use the cups too.
  • esbm
    esbm Posts: 118 Forumite
    Those who use cloth pads: planning to make some for post partum- any ideas on size/measurements?
    LBM Sept 2012 ~£44 Sept 15: £~5233
    £10/day May-Sept: £609.04 Oct: £19.255/£300
    Sell £1000 challenge £330.64/£500
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills