Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • molerat
    • By molerat 23rd Jan 15, 1:59 PM
    • 21,599Posts
    • 15,839Thanks
    molerat
    60 Cyclists To Sue Edinburgh Council
    • 23rd Jan 15, 1:59 PM
    60 Cyclists To Sue Edinburgh Council 23rd Jan 15 at 1:59 PM
    50 60 cyclists are to sue Edinburgh council after accidents crossing the tram tracks at a poorly thought junction.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-30951833

The picture does seem to show an accident waiting to happen, do street designers need to go on a common sense course ?
    Last edited by molerat; 24-01-2015 at 1:27 PM.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
Page 1
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 23rd Jan 15, 2:23 PM
    • 3,298 Posts
    • 4,925 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    • 23rd Jan 15, 2:23 PM
    • 23rd Jan 15, 2:23 PM
    Wow, are these the cycle paths that certain posters on here insist that cyclist should be legally forced to use.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 23rd Jan 15, 2:39 PM
    • 21,599 Posts
    • 15,839 Thanks
    molerat
    • 23rd Jan 15, 2:39 PM
    • 23rd Jan 15, 2:39 PM
    http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/News/Urgent-safety-review-into-flagship-700000-cycle-lane-just-weeks-after-opening-05122014.htm

It does seem that a cycle route is a "must have", if a few cyclists get killed / injured in the name of being "green" then so be it A busy winding hill road 4m wide total including a cycle lane each side, makes you wonder at the intelligence of these planners.
    Last edited by molerat; 23-01-2015 at 2:42 PM.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 23rd Jan 15, 2:53 PM
    • 4,918 Posts
    • 6,324 Thanks
    Johno100
    • 23rd Jan 15, 2:53 PM
    • 23rd Jan 15, 2:53 PM
    No doubt this is the lycra brigade on their skinny tyred racing bikes, we get the same sort moaning in my area about the gravel/chippings on the canal towpaths giving them punctures. Perhaps if they are successful at screwing money out of the council they might use it to buy bikes that are fit for purpose.

What will we have next, sports car owners suing the council because speed humps are damaging the underside of their vehicles.
  • obriens2uk
    • 23rd Jan 15, 5:55 PM
    Dangerous tram track
    • 23rd Jan 15, 5:55 PM
    No doubt this is the lycra brigade on their skinny tyred racing bikes, we get the same sort moaning in my area about the gravel/chippings on the canal towpaths giving them punctures. Perhaps if they are successful at screwing money out of the council they might use it to buy bikes that are fit for purpose.

What will we have next, sports car owners suing the council because speed humps are damaging the underside of their vehicles.
    Originally posted by Johno100

Hi I think you will find you are wrong, I'm not one of the ones who is to sue the council but I have had accidents. I've been cycling a mountain bike with high traction, wide tyres in Edinburgh for 12 years and before the trams I had 2 small accidents with just a cut or graze. In the past year I have had 3 accidents on the tram tracks, one of which sent me into busy traffic and left me limping for a few weeks, I still have some of the scars. Edinburgh has become one of the least bike friendly cities in the world, for the first time ever I have considered giving up cycling as I have a genuine fear now.
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 23rd Jan 15, 6:45 PM
    • 4,918 Posts
    • 6,324 Thanks
    Johno100
    • 23rd Jan 15, 6:45 PM
    • 23rd Jan 15, 6:45 PM
    So after your first spill on the tracks you didn't modify your behaviour and avoid them?

Well good luck to those getting the money, which I hope will come out of the council's cycling budget. Anyway I'm sure if these cases are successful the council will as a result prohibit cycling in the vicinity of the tracks on the grounds of health and safety.
    • Altarf
    • By Altarf 24th Jan 15, 9:33 AM
    • 2,881 Posts
    • 1,701 Thanks
    Altarf
    • 24th Jan 15, 9:33 AM
    • 24th Jan 15, 9:33 AM
    I'm sure if these cases are successful the council will as a result prohibit cycling in the vicinity of the tracks on the grounds of health and safety.
    You may have been joking, but that is clearly the only sensible solution that is guaranteed to solve the problem.

It would be rather a pyrrhic victory for the 50 cyclists if their case resulted in 'No Cycling' streets.
  • archived user
    • 24th Jan 15, 10:14 AM
    • 24th Jan 15, 10:14 AM
    Anyway I'm sure if these cases are successful the council will as a result prohibit cycling in the vicinity of the tracks on the grounds of health and safety.
    Well they sure as hell are not going to rip up the tramways considering how much it originally cost to put them in.

There is nothing like a Pyrrhic victory to bring things in to perspective
    • mttylad
    • By mttylad 24th Jan 15, 3:20 PM
    • 1,482 Posts
    • 893 Thanks
    mttylad
    • 24th Jan 15, 3:20 PM
    • 24th Jan 15, 3:20 PM
    Surely the council are simply going to stop the cycle path before & after the tracks and put up a sign saying dismount & walk through them.

And then the cyclists will ignore it & still fall on the tracks etc.
    • DKLS
    • By DKLS 24th Jan 15, 4:33 PM
    • 12,761 Posts
    • 21,519 Thanks
    DKLS
    Looks like that corner could easily be taken with a little counter steering.

Seems a bit much to be sueing the council.
    • Marktheshark
    • By Marktheshark 24th Jan 15, 4:36 PM
    • 5,692 Posts
    • 7,184 Thanks
    Marktheshark
    If they can not see a set of tram tracks they might be better staying away from anything with wheels.
    • brat
    • By brat 24th Jan 15, 5:56 PM
    • 2,458 Posts
    • 3,112 Thanks
    brat
    The alternative is to ban other motor vehicles and create a pedestrian/cycling/tram zone. What's not to like?

www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/cyclists-want-george-princes-street-traffic-ban-1-3135232
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
    • Altarf
    • By Altarf 24th Jan 15, 5:57 PM
    • 2,881 Posts
    • 1,701 Thanks
    Altarf
    And then the cyclists will ignore it & still fall on the tracks etc.
    Originally posted by mttylad
    So the only sensible thing to do to keep cyclists safe is ban then from any street with tram lines.
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 24th Jan 15, 6:17 PM
    • 4,918 Posts
    • 6,324 Thanks
    Johno100
    The alternative is to ban other motor vehicles and create a pedestrian/cycling/tram zone. What's not to like?

www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/cyclists-want-george-princes-street-traffic-ban-1-3135232
    Originally posted by brat
    How will that stop the conflict between cyclists and these killer tram tracks?
    • modsandmockers
    • By modsandmockers 24th Jan 15, 6:25 PM
    • 752 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    modsandmockers
    So the only sensible thing to do to keep cyclists safe is ban then from any street with tram lines.
    Originally posted by Altarf
    Its hard to resist saying that the only way to keep cyclists safe is to confiscate their bikes...
    • Altarf
    • By Altarf 24th Jan 15, 6:47 PM
    • 2,881 Posts
    • 1,701 Thanks
    Altarf
    But the cyclists will still ride into the tram tracks, and then blame someone else.

So make it a pedestrian and tram zone.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 24th Jan 15, 11:44 PM
    • 11,622 Posts
    • 6,535 Thanks
    Strider590
    Perfect example of a cycling infrastructure designed by a car driver, too dangerous for cyclists, who are then forced to use the road and come into conflict with drivers who don't see the danger.
    I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • modsandmockers
    • By modsandmockers 24th Jan 15, 11:53 PM
    • 752 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    modsandmockers
    Perfect example of a cycling infrastructure designed by a car driver, too dangerous for cyclists, who are then forced to use the road and come into conflict with drivers who don't see the danger.
    Originally posted by Strider590
    It might also be a perfect example of a successful box-ticking protocol with no useful practical purpose except to minimise costs whilst satisfying the requirements of the politically correct.
    • brat
    • By brat 25th Jan 15, 3:14 AM
    • 2,458 Posts
    • 3,112 Thanks
    brat
    How will that stop the conflict between cyclists and these killer tram tracks?
    The tram lines seem to compete for the same space as cyclist, namely the kerbside lane. Remove the motor vehicle, and the cyclists and pedestrians will be able to use that freed up space without having to conflict with trams. It works exceptionally well in continental cities.
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
    • Altarf
    • By Altarf 25th Jan 15, 6:09 AM
    • 2,881 Posts
    • 1,701 Thanks
    Altarf
    The tram lines seem to compete for the same space as cyclist, namely the kerbside lane. Remove the motor vehicle, and the cyclists and pedestrians will be able to use that freed up space without having to conflict with trams. It works exceptionally well in continental cities.
    But there is still the risk that cyclist's wheels will still get accidentally trapped in the tram track, even if there are no cars around. e.g. a pedestrian steps out, a cyclist avoids them, hits the tram track and down.

So the only sure-fire solution to keep cyclists safe is to ban them from all streets with tram tracks.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,388Posts Today

8,505Users online

Martin's Twitter