Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • The ICT Engineer
    • By The ICT Engineer 30th Sep 14, 6:27 PM
    • 599Posts
    • 583Thanks
    The ICT Engineer
    'Red Spotted Hanky' introducing new fee's on bookings.
    • 30th Sep 14, 6:27 PM
    'Red Spotted Hanky' introducing new fee's on bookings. 30th Sep 14 at 6:27 PM
    Just had the following e-mail from 'Red Spotted Hanky' stating that they are introducing new fee's on bookings.

At redspottedhanky.com we pride ourselves on being totally honest and transparent with our customers. That's why we wanted to let you know about a couple of changes we've had to make to our booking and delivery fees.

Booking fees - Rising costs mean that, reluctantly, we will be introducing a small charge of 1 when you book your tickets.

It's something we've resisted in the past, but in order to continue providing you with an excellent service it's a change that has become unavoidable.

The booking charge will be introduced over the next few days.

Rest assured, we are keeping it simple; just a flat rate of 1 per booking - no matter how many tickets you purchase with each booking or how much you spend.

What's more, unlike thetrainline we don't charge a credit card fee.

Delivery & collection fees - We will always aim to offer a free delivery option for your tickets. Choose an e-ticket or m-ticket and your delivery fee will be free. If neither is available then you can pick your ticket up at the station for free, too. Unfortunately there will now be a small charge of 1 for standard postal delivery (normal rules apply to next day delivery).

Travellers buying train tickets from RedSpottedHanky should be aware that it now charges a 1 booking fee ...

Read the full story:

Booking train tickets at RedSpottedHanky? It now charges a 1 booking fee

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Last edited by Former MSE Paloma; 01-10-2014 at 5:58 PM.
Page 3
    • miller
    • By miller 3rd Oct 14, 10:34 AM
    • 1,327 Posts
    • 498 Thanks
    miller
    I fell foul once on TCB with East Midlands Trains by combining an EMT journey with another journey with a different TOC and only got paid the lower rate overall (EMT journeys attract more).
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 3rd Oct 14, 12:17 PM
    • 40,482 Posts
    • 24,548 Thanks
    Quentin
    sorry did mean 3.1 - ordinary topcashback is 3.03
    Originally posted by giddyup
    If you use top cash back and find a better offer elsewhere they beat the difference. So you will get more cashback from them than imutual currently offer.
  • Home Working Mum of 3
    Shame that. Noticed they has stopped using topcashback but liked their free posting and loyalty points. Luckily had just cashed in my 29 worth of points against a ticket and got it delivered free.
    • Inigo Montoya
    • By Inigo Montoya 8th Oct 14, 5:05 PM
    • 806 Posts
    • 727 Thanks
    Inigo Montoya
    dont know if this was just a one off glitch but when I booked MULTIPLE tickets in one go I wasnt charged a booking fee

possibly a way to avoid the charge ?
    • Edindevon
    • By Edindevon 9th Oct 14, 7:12 PM
    • 856 Posts
    • 4,079 Thanks
    Edindevon
    dont know if this was just a one off glitch but when I booked MULTIPLE tickets in one go I wasnt charged a booking fee
    Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
    Likewise I bought 3 tickets together yesterday and I wasn't charged a fee.

Edindevon
    • miller
    • By miller 13th Oct 14, 12:26 PM
    • 1,327 Posts
    • 498 Thanks
    miller
    I have not been able to side step by booking 3+ tickets. Maybe it's a browser issue.
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 20th Oct 14, 12:29 AM
    • 7,918 Posts
    • 3,938 Thanks
    Stompa
    Likewise I bought 3 tickets together yesterday and I wasn't charged a fee.
    Originally posted by Edindevon
    I bought just one ticket today (for collection at the station), and wasn't charged a booking fee.
    Stompa
    • miller
    • By miller 20th Oct 14, 10:15 AM
    • 1,327 Posts
    • 498 Thanks
    miller
    Was the booking fee mentioned during the process/total to be paid or were you just not charged it?
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 20th Oct 14, 10:40 AM
    • 7,918 Posts
    • 3,938 Thanks
    Stompa
    Was the booking fee mentioned during the process/total to be paid or were you just not charged it?
    Originally posted by miller
    I don't recall seeing it mentioned, but then I was in a hurry so probably not paying as much attention as I should have been. I was definitely not charged the fee though.
    Stompa
    • Inigo Montoya
    • By Inigo Montoya 20th Oct 14, 12:53 PM
    • 806 Posts
    • 727 Thanks
    Inigo Montoya
    it wasnt mentionwed at all

have booked twice now with no fees

not sure if its a front or back end issue but Im not complaining
    Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 20-10-2014 at 12:55 PM.
    • miller
    • By miller 20th Oct 14, 1:25 PM
    • 1,327 Posts
    • 498 Thanks
    miller
    I wondered if it was a browser thing, but Firefox and Internet Explorer still add the booking fee at the end of the process.
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 20th Oct 14, 2:06 PM
    • 7,918 Posts
    • 3,938 Thanks
    Stompa
    I wondered if it was a browser thing, but Firefox and Internet Explorer still add the booking fee at the end of the process.
    I was using Chrome. I've just tried a dummy booking, and the fee was shown today. So I don't know why it wasn't yesterday.
    Stompa
    • miller
    • By miller 20th Oct 14, 2:53 PM
    • 1,327 Posts
    • 498 Thanks
    miller
    I was using Chrome. I've just tried a dummy booking, and the fee was shown today. So I don't know why it wasn't yesterday.
    Originally posted by Stompa
    I'm expecting an eVoucher from the Golf+GP points to be credited shortly so will try with that to see if it is payment related.
  • jimsweetman
    Bad Experience with RSH and odd routing
    I tried to go to Manchester last week and got the standard Virgin train outbound and a variety of return prices. I couldn't see how they differed so I clicked on one of them and got anytime etc so that seemed fine but in tiny print when I clicked the details button it was via Ely and I didn't see it. I thought return would be the same route!

Rung them straightaway and they charged me a tenner for the refund so minus points for customer service.

TaketheTrain worked fine and no charge.
    • miller
    • By miller 22nd Oct 14, 12:28 PM
    • 1,327 Posts
    • 498 Thanks
    miller
    Further to previous, the booking fee disappears when selecting my voucher created from loyaty points.

I'll try and remember to check with clubcard ones when I get one.
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 22nd Oct 14, 1:21 PM
    • 7,918 Posts
    • 3,938 Thanks
    Stompa
    Further to previous, the booking fee disappears when selecting my voucher created from loyaty points.
    Interesting. I only ever use vouchers, so with a bit of luck I'll never have to pay a booking fee!
    Stompa
    • Inigo Montoya
    • By Inigo Montoya 22nd Oct 14, 11:12 PM
    • 806 Posts
    • 727 Thanks
    Inigo Montoya

I'll try and remember to check with clubcard ones when I get one.
    yes can confirm that too - didnt notice till today when saw booking fee 'disappear'
    • miller
    • By miller 30th Oct 14, 10:18 AM
    • 1,327 Posts
    • 498 Thanks
    miller
    My latest eVoucher (from clubcard) also works (thought possibly as notice of the change had been given before conversion it wouldn't).

There's nothing of course to say that this will remain the case (I expect it probably will though - potential claims of unilateral changes/unfair terms etc. etc. being applied to the vouchers makes it easier just not to charge the fee IMO).
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 30th Oct 14, 10:25 AM
    • 7,918 Posts
    • 3,938 Thanks
    Stompa
    There's nothing of course to say that this will remain the case (I expect it probably will though - potential claims of unilateral changes/unfair terms etc. etc. being applied to the vouchers makes it easier just not to charge the fee IMO).
    FWIW I note that it says here:

http://www.redspottedhanky.com/frequently-asked-questions/e-vouchers/

Can I use my e-vouchers to pay for a booking fee?
    Yes, your e-voucher can be applied to the entire cost of your booking including any fees.
    Stompa
    • pb8770
    • By pb8770 12th Nov 14, 3:26 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    pb8770
    Don't know why anybody would want to buy tickets from 3rd party sites. If you book direct with the operator you don't have any booking fees or admin charges (99% of the time), that's why Red spotted hanky, trainline etc charge admin fees because they won't make anything out of it otherwise.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,219Posts Today

7,907Users online

Martin's Twitter