Rubbish days

Comments

• Every day?! I'm lucky if I get the hoover around weekly!

I'm a clean freak, plus the combination of 3 dogs and 1 very messy toddler and I *need* to at least Hoover everyday otherwise I'd probably have rats by the end of the week!

Supersavers Wife
  • fannyadams
    fannyadams Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'm at the other end of the scale
    I recently got a F/T job (June last year) after getting made redundant from my (I now realise toxic) part time one and having 10 months off 'decompressing'.
    I have a teen who is complacent about everything.
    Even his mock exams that he's just sat.
    It was an absolute nightmare to get him to revise - HWTHMBO had to disable Minecraft off his laptop and every evening go through the history and delete and deny access to all the minecraft mirror sites after DS#1 went to bed!
    he's just come home from school and told me he's lost his PE kit. I have exploded at him because this isn't the first time (or the last). I am feeling a bit guilty about yelling at him though even though he has a perfectly good locker that he walked past to go to the library where he says he's lost his PE.

My 9 year old also giving me attitude AND I have a meeting with his teacher tomorrow morning about 'his behaviour' (AFAIK he's fine but apparently it's gone downhill and needs 'nipping in the bud')

I guess I'm just having a really stressy time at home right now (I'm trying to declutter my house bit by bit and to add to this stress my heating isn't working).
    thanks for letting me vent.
    just in case you need to know:
    HWTHMBO - He Who Thinks He Must Be Obeyed
    DS#1 - my twenty-year-old son
    DS#2 - my teenaged son
    Barkin Things - my two rescued/retired greyhounds
  • Vent away ladies..we're all in it together!
    Fanny I guess it goes to show all ages bring with them their own 'challenges'!

Question - do you think a 5 month old can get bored? Baby seems to get fed up with her play mat, toys, bouncy chair quite quickly and there's only so much carrying about I can do.

When I go out with her she normally falls asleep in the buggy/car seat so I can't imagine she gets much stimulation from going out and about.
    Metranil dreams of becoming a neon,
    You don't even take him seriously,
    How am I going to get to heaven?,
    When I'm just balanced so precariously..
  • I'm on countdown to OH getting home.

ETA 40 mins and counting!
  • notanewuser
    notanewuser Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Vent away ladies..we're all in it together!
    Fanny I guess it goes to show all ages bring with them their own 'challenges'!

Question - do you think a 5 month old can get bored? Baby seems to get fed up with her play mat, toys, bouncy chair quite quickly and there's only so much carrying about I can do.

When I go out with her she normally falls asleep in the buggy/car seat so I can't imagine she gets much stimulation from going out and about.

Get the jumperoo out. ;)
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Whilst having a very healthy resepct for the NCT & all its teachings (their 10 week antenatal course was solidly educational as well as supportive!), I rather 'fell off the waggon' by being medically debarred from breastfeeding & rather deliberately, we let the ties loosen.

We did What Worked For Us & if on a lashing wet day when I felt dismal anyway, we stayed in. No hassle, no fuss.

As for potty training (a) it's a summer sport [mopping up in cold spring? Nein danke!], (b) the penny drops eventually & (c) who wants to get into this comeptitive parenting lark anyway?

Above all, Facebook is a place to fib. Beautifully, of course. So don't believe it - real friends will welcome you in as a friend with a vocabulary of over 200 words who does not need help using the loo & won't (openly) judge.

As for a bored 5 month old, take your shoes & socks off... (Or is it theirs?) They do not die of boredom!
  • jetplane
    jetplane Posts: 1,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 23 January 2014 at 8:28PM
    OP your post is such a refreshing change :) mothers are under so much pressure, dads too. Its great to read the reality. I work with a woman who is yummy mummy, after school activity, healthy eating and Easter egg competition winning super mum :D

She told me a sad tale of how she had her baby at the same time as the woman living across the street. A few years later this woman told my colleague that watching her through the window jogging along pushing her shiny baby to the latest venue had always made her feel completely inadequate :(
    The most potent weapon of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed. Steve Biko
  • Make-it-3
    Make-it-3 Posts: 1,661 Forumite
    I have sometimes listened in to the big groups of NCT/nappy valley mums when they meet at the cafe in the park and its all so ultra competitive. So glad I never joined.

I don't think there is anything wrong in kids being bored. We had endless hours of being bored as a child (especially on Sundays) - there was no 24/7 kids TV. There is too much pressure these days to be constantly "entertaining" children - they are so overstimulated, no wonder they kick off/won't go to bed etc.

MV, have you tried a treat/sticker/reward for a wee on target? It worked for Pavlov's dog and our LO!
    We Made-it-3 on 28/01/11 with birth of our gorgeous DD.
  • notanewuser
    notanewuser Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Make-it-3 wrote: »
    I have sometimes listened in to the big groups of NCT/nappy valley mums when they meet at the cafe in the park and its all so ultra competitive. So glad I never joined.

I don't think there is anything wrong in kids being bored. We had endless hours of being bored as a child (especially on Sundays) - there was no 24/7 kids TV. There is too much pressure these days to be constantly "entertaining" children - they are so overstimulated, no wonder they kick off/won't go to bed etc.

MV, have you tried a treat/sticker/reward for a wee on target? It worked for Pavlov's dog and our LO!

Boredom is vital for children - it sparks imagination.

Not so much for a young baby though. ;)

My NCT group isn't at all competitive. We're like a jigsaw puzzle. We often joke about starting some sort of hippy commune!!
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
  • My mum always says that she thinks children are over stimulated far too much thesedays and not allowed to just 'play' and use their imaginations. She is very scornful of the whole 'yummy mummy' competativeness to do the most, lose the baby weight the first, look fabulous weeks after giving birth etc, and I do agree with her.

My NCT girls are in the majority lovely down to earth types, however I am the 'poor relation' of the group as they all live in more affluent areas of my corner of SE London and there are banker and lawyer hubbies amongst the group. A couple of the girls are a bit too obsessed with their looks/weight/kids going to every activity going and now as the kids are hitting 3, are looking at private education options in some cases..it's another world to OH and I who are in no way poor, but do have to budget carefully and don't earn huge sums of money.

It's silly but I always avoided inviting them over to our flat as most of them had 4 bedroom Victorian houses in affluent parts of SE London, and I did feel a bit inferior at times. Silly I know.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure