Cyclist v Car = Crash & Injuries

Comments

• You need to understand the potential risk though. The action (swerving/not swerving) accommodate the possible risk (being hit by the car IF it pulls out unexpectedly). There's every chance the car won't pull out and no action is required, but 'worst case scenario' is no action taken but car does pull out (which happens more often than you'd like). After all, the car is going to pull out AT SOME POINT. By being further away from it you reduce the risk of it hitting you, whilst at the same time increase the chance of the driver seeing you from further away (if you move early enough toward primary position).

It's far better to anticipate this and it not happen than to assume it won't happen and you get hit.

agreed and if you were doing this properly as a cyclist it wouldnt be a sudden jerky movement ending in dismounting.

you should do this in advance of reaching a vehicle not when your on its bonnet!

the problem is cyclists do no look over there shoulder - they either pull out in to a car (and blame the car) without looking.. or dont pull out and end up being too close to cars at junctions and then at last minute frightening themselves and falling over form lack of planning and judgement.

most of these people have nipped to argos bought a bike and jumped straight on the road clueless..

and more importantly in this case..it appears with the intention of looking for some cash
  • reason2 wrote: »
    i thought road tax didnt exist.. infact im sure it doesnt..

and a well maintained bike does not make a well educated cyclist.

you hastily swerved hitting a pothole doesnt suggest to me a driver issue more a cyclist one

1. Road tax does exist. I said I paid it on my road car.:p

2. I'm 55 and never had an RTA in all those years with any motorised veichle. I was even cycling on main roads before I was able to hold a licence. Think I'm well educated enough otherwise I wouldn't be allowed on the roads.

3. I never mentioned a pothole. I tried to ride away from the car to the left. Kerb was in the way so bike ran along side it and lost steering so had to get off bike otherwise I would have hit a lamp post and injuries would have been a lot worse.
  • irri_tant wrote: »
    1. Road tax does exist. I said I paid it on my road car.:p

2. I'm 55 and never had an RTA in all those years with any motorised veichle. I was even cycling on main roads before I was able to hold a licence. Think I'm well educated enough otherwise I wouldn't be allowed on the roads.

3. I never mentioned a pothole. I tried to ride away from the car to the left. Kerb was in the way so bike ran along side it and lost steering so had to get off bike otherwise I would have hit a lamp post and injuries would have been a lot worse.

1. thats not road tax, its vehicle excise duty, a cost based on your eco friendliness and emissions.

2. Im 27 and never had an accident, i was even cycling on roads when i was 11, 16 years isnt as much as you but age is but a number.. my mum is 55 and had an accident last year after 20 yrs of not having one..

3. your right you didnt, i picked that up from another users post! apologies
  • liam8282 wrote: »
    what I don't agree with is pursuing injury claims when it appears there really weren't any.

Bruising + grazing

So if there not injuries what exactly are they?
    1. thats not road tax, its vehicle excise duty, a cost based on your eco friendliness and emissions.

Good job they don't 'tax' us all for hot air from both ends then :rotfl:
    agreed and if you were doing this properly as a cyclist it wouldnt be a sudden jerky movement ending in dismounting.

you should do this in advance of reaching a vehicle not when your on its bonnet!

the problem is cyclists do no look over there shoulder - they either pull out in to a car (and blame the car) without looking.. or dont pull out and end up being too close to cars at junctions and then at last minute frightening themselves and falling over form lack of planning and judgement.

most of these people have nipped to argos bought a bike and jumped straight on the road clueless..

and more importantly in this case..it appears with the intention of looking for some cash

You seem to be making a lot of unfounded judgments about cyclists. The cars behind should anticipate the movement of vehicles ahead of them, including lateral movement, and allow riders the space they need (just as drivers should leave the car in front enough space to brake). Roads are shared space for everyone to use, and 80% of cyclists are also drivers.

Ideally, yes - you should move well in advance, but sometimes it isn't possible.
    It's only numbers.
  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,537
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    reason2 wrote: »
    If you have stopped at a junction, and you are waiting and allowing a cyclist to pass - i have seen many - that when approaching the already stationary car which has not moved at all and has clearly noticed the cyclist - they still swerve..

Many drivers seem unable to accurately calculate the length of their bonnet at a give way junction, and overhang into the cycle lane / main road, thus causing the cyclist to have to move out slightly from their usual line (of course, a good cyclist should anticipate this and not have to 'swerve'). Happens regularly on my commute to work.
  • irri_tant
    irri_tant Posts: 176
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 1 October 2013 at 8:03PM
    After talking to the driver today he has now said to go via a solicitor and his insurance as he’s not in a position to pay for damage caused out of his pocket due to being on job seekers allowance. He offered to pay fortnightly which isn’t a guaranteed way to pay. I declined his offer of payments this way.

Car is insured and he was happy for a solicitor and the insurance to ‘fight’ it out.

Mentioned to him that he said he didn’t see me at least twice. Once when I was on the floor and the other whilst in the ambulance receiving treatment, which he didn’t challenge.

So as far I as I can see he's admitting his error by offering to pay and not challenging me when I put it to him he said he didn't see me.

So now it's in the hands of a local solicitor
  • irri_tant
    irri_tant Posts: 176
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    oooooops, double post :o
  • LimeLight
    LimeLight Posts: 8,038
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    When i was a cyclist, i used to treat every driver like they were about to do something stupid, so i'd have my hands constantly near the brakes, constantly looking at each junction and slowing down upon nearing it.

In the end, it took a pothole and my going over the handlebars to scare me enough to decide to leave the bike at home.
    just passing through.... Nothing to see....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure