Discussion ... ASHP(Air/Air) with Solar pv ....

Comments

• zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi

Currently ~3kW of heating, boiling the kettle, watching TV, laptop charging, solar thermal pump doing it's thing, all baseload covered ... and we're still exporting well over 1kW to the grid ... :cool:

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Fully Charged has just released part 2 of their Orkney Island visit, so far they've covered the use of hydrogen storage for excess generation and the building of 'better' homes.

Gas and now oil are not options, so they are using heat pumps. Combination of build quality and about £200 savings from PV, leave them with annual energy bills of £600pa which I didn't think was bad given the location, all electric and that they were 3 bed semi's.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    So, all's going well, October arrives, and Mart thinks, time to play with the ASHP. Typical generation is 220-250kWh, so probably 100kWh of export to shove through HiPpie, keep the GCH down, and top up that thermal mass. What could possibly go wrong?

Well, we've got a lodger for the next month, an utterly stunning 19month old guidedog awaiting placement. What could possibly go wrong?

He's stunning, well behaved and very, very friendly. What could possibly go wrong?

Then he meets F4 (Flash the ferocious feral feline). He looks at Flash, Flash looks back. He moves towards Flash, Flash bear-charges him to just out of paw range. He thinks this is fun, and leans in closer, Flash appears to move slightly - dog's nose starts bleeding from multiple scratches (not ideal on what is now about £50k worth of doggie). He thinks, this is great fun, barks and charges at Flash ..... many things happen in a very brief time period.

Now cats are living in conservatory, and doggie is sharing living room. [Come on Z, you've worked it out now haven't you?]

Yes - crucial to heat distribution, is having the conservatory to living room door wide open!!!!!!!

Further canine/feline negotiations have been scheduled at the UN, but Trump is keeping them a little busy at the moment.

In the meantime I've found that laying on the floor watching telly with 30kg of affectionate cuddly Labrador, is surprisingly warm. There's always an upside!

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    I lost the battle today.

GCH went on this morning for 30 mins.

Very little generation for a few days now, and also grey cool (not quite cold) weather, so little solar gain too.

Canine / Feline negotiations went well and non-blood letting distances have been maintained.

Very, very pleased with the amount of heat we put into the house as storage, I hadn't really calculated that into my thoughts back when this thread started (thanks). Leaving the door wide open and letting HiPpie run worked well to keep warm air going through the house. Plus it's been a very mild October.

As recommendations go though, I have a new favourite, Labrador heating is even better, though it does tend to lead to falling asleep in front of the telly, but 'chasing rabbits' usually wakes me up at a semi-reasonable time for bed.

• ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    I lost the battle today.

GCH went on this morning for 30 mins.

Notice that GCH has come on a few times this month, either in the morning or evening to warm the bedroom up when the wireless programmable thermostat has called for heat.

However, with the heat pump running in the lounge and the internal door opens to circulate the warm air, our gas use is down to a less than a third of what it was last October, at a predicted less than 200kWh for the month and electric use only up by about 20kWh, despite the recent poor PV generation.

From checking stats for October last year, it has been a bit milder so far this year, but by only a couple of degrees, but there has not been much sun :(
  • matty2767
    matty2767 Posts: 442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi guys

I have read all of this thread - some good stuff in here.

We are going to have a conservatory built. It will be approx.. 3.6m x 3.6m, A rating glass roof but then pretty much all glass down to a dwarf wall connected to our kitchen.

I need to decide whether to spend on underfloor heating plus probably an oil filled rad or something else.

AASHP is intriguing but could I use it stand alone! And would you recommend please? it looks about the same price to install but from what I read, floor heating is expensive to run and we want to have the choice of using the new space all year round.

We have PV but then pretty much max out on what we use of that with having timers on and the electric car. So a decision would need to be made on running ASHP fully off import.

Many thanks

Matt
  • Martyn1981
    Got to say I'm loving the ASHP. Absolutely, definitely would have had to put the heating on several times during the day these last two weeks, whereas instead the living room is toasty and lots of heat going into the 'structural mass battery' of the house. Probably 75%+ from PV. Interestingly, dull days with less generation are also warmer, so less heating needed, whereas cold days are sunny. Nice.

Slightly odd to still be in shorts and t-shirt in Nov, rather than 'big boy' trousers and a fleece top, but the living room is 20.5C to 21C even with the door to hallway wide open, as I'm trying to maximise heating and minimise gas burn.

Several days barefoot too after getting wet taking the dog for a walk, but he's been matched now with a guide dog owner, so no more Labrador cuddles to keep me warm ... for now.

• Martyn1981
    matty2767 wrote: »
    Hi guys

I have read all of this thread - some good stuff in here.

We are going to have a conservatory built. It will be approx.. 3.6m x 3.6m, A rating glass roof but then pretty much all glass down to a dwarf wall connected to our kitchen.

I need to decide whether to spend on underfloor heating plus probably an oil filled rad or something else.

AASHP is intriguing but could I use it stand alone! And would you recommend please? it looks about the same price to install but from what I read, floor heating is expensive to run and we want to have the choice of using the new space all year round.

We have PV but then pretty much max out on what we use of that with having timers on and the electric car. So a decision would need to be made on running ASHP fully off import.

Many thanks

Matt

Hiya Matt, not sure I'm well enough informed, but the ASHP suits me well. It's a 3.5kW model and can raise our conservatory* from 10C to 20C in about 20 mins.

*It's only 2.4m by 2.4m by 2.4m and only one outside wall is glass, plus the DG glass roof.

If you were pondering location, like myself sometime back for house heating, then I don't think it would work for you due to the losses heating/cooling your proper conservatory, but if you are looking for a way to heat/cool your conservatory anyway, then certainly an easy way to do it, and possibly a way to cool the room, and adjoining room too, if you can block out most of the sun during a heatwave (blinds/curtains).

It's certainly worth a ponder me thinks, but others on here know far, far more than I.

• ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Just gone through first full year since having the Air Conditioner/Heat Pump installed; so able to compare year on year figures for Gas and Electric consumption.

Gas use has reduced by 5,588 kWh. That's an over 50% reduction compared to the previous year.

Electric import has increased by 344 kWh. That is an increase of 18% compared to previous year. But solar PV production has been lower this year than in 2016. Also, been using a lot of high power tools, cement mixer, etc in the garden this Autumn to extend our patio.

Use of Solar PV generated electric has increased from about 40% to just over 48%.

So with our unit rates for electric & gas we have saved £166.65 on gas, but spent £37.20 more on electric import. A total saving of £129.45 for the 1st year.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 29 November 2017 at 11:55PM
    Notice that GCH has come on a few times this month, either in the morning or evening to warm the bedroom up when the wireless programmable thermostat has called for heat.

However, with the heat pump running in the lounge and the internal door opens to circulate the warm air, our gas use is down to a less than a third of what it was last October, at a predicted less than 200kWh for the month and electric use only up by about 20kWh, despite the recent poor PV generation.

From checking stats for October last year, it has been a bit milder so far this year, but by only a couple of degrees, but there has not been much sun :(
    Hi

Bad News ... It's been dull again today so very little solar gain (again:()
    Better News ... It's just about 3weeks until the shortest day :)
    Even Better News ... The log-burner was fired-up for a while today, not bad for the first burn ... almost December & only fed for a handful of hours thanks to the ASHP's contribution .. might need to use the GCH if the promised cold spell is actually cold .. & long! :D
    Outstanding News ... solar thermal has only needed the occasional GCH top-up and according to the weatherman it's going to be sunny tomorrow .. :T
    And back to the Bad News ... the DHW storage is pretty much depleted so even a really sunny day wouldn't make much difference, so another top-up is due either tomorrow or Friday ... couple this with the recent accuracy of the weather forecast & I'll not be getting too excited either way! ... :p ... :rotfl:

Good things these high efficiency ASHPs ... if you can keep the small amount of heat they produce in it's surprising how much they actually help-out ....

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure