OS World Book Day Fancy Dress Ideas Please

Our school is celebrating World Book on monday, and have asked for all children to choose a character and dress up!

DD is sorted, she is going as sleeping beauty! With thanks to the school for the loan of a dress! (she out grew all her fairy & princess dresses and have now been passed on)

Thing is - I do not have the initiative and Im so hopeless with ideas what to do for my DS who is 11.

I had an idea of Harry Potter - to babyish
then a wizard - face was pulled at that
He's decided to go as a mouse!!!!!

Ive left it late to start hitting the shops to buy things, which really, Im trying to avoid, so please can any one give me any ideas - for a character, costume, and how to make OS without spending!

Many Thanks in advance.
Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure

Comments

• LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    the last one i did my daughter went as cinderella i just waded through her dress up box,if he wants to go as mouse t-shirt,tights shorts for main,your daughters head band could be used to attach ears to and for a tail cut leg off old pair tights and stuff it,bit of face paint done :) hope some of this helps
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • Fizog
    Fizog Posts: 362 Forumite
    if he has grey school trousers and jumper all you have to do is fashion a mask out of card and paint grey? mouse sorted! Google and you'll find loads of crafty ideas on usa sites for animal masks.
  • Oliver Twist - torn and tattered grey trousers (most schoolboys of my acquaintance have these), tatty and dirty white shirt, flat cap, black pumps and begging bowl.
    Books - the original virtual reality.
    Tilly Tidying:
  • Crazychik
    Crazychik Posts: 1,994 Forumite
    We love that book - Town Mouse & Country Mouse

Some excellent tips Thankyou
    Will run them by him tomorrow
    Im liking the idea of oliver twist!

OH dug out an old monk's habit he's got, (fancy dress party but never went!) I though about using this, Possible Frya Tuck from Robin Hood! obviously using some rope/string to use as a belt and hold the actual dress up.

Failing that, he can wear my clothes and go as Old Mother Hubbard! 'cos' thats how I feel at the mo!

Thankyou again!
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • kscour
    kscour Posts: 665 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Today my DD's were told they could dress up for world book day tomorrow! Oh Joy!!!!
  • LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    my daughter has hers week friday so now i have to sort 2 costumes apprently they have section on ebay for world books week
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • themmackas
    themmackas Posts: 66 Forumite
    my son who is 10 went as captain underpants on thursday.
    It was his idea and it was a really cheap outfit to do. I bought some adults y fronts (25p) and sewed them onto the outside of a pair of joggers, then I bought a white t shirt (2 for £2 matalan) and wrote capitain underpants on the front. I had a old red t shirt that had a hole in the front so I cut up the back and sewed it onto the back of the t shirt for a cape. My son really enjoyed being captain underpants and he was the only one at school.
    :j
  • Elliesmum
    Elliesmum Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Love the Captain Underpants outfit sounds fab :D . My daughter's school did this yesterday and thankfully she'd been bought a Snow White outfit for her birthday last Monday so we were sorted.

My childminders son went as a farmer, check shirt, jeans and wellies - she only had a days notice too! :eek:

EM x
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    Plato ;) Make £2018 in 2018 no. 37 - total = £1626.25/£2018 :j
  • tranquil_2
    tranquil_2 Posts: 115 Forumite
    My original thought was to send dd as Winnie the Witch, she already has stripy tights and a hat left over from halloween. However once she realises that princesses are an option, I doubt that we will even manage a discussion. Still as she's at the age that dressing up means fairy princess, at least I don't have to worry about a choice of costumes!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure