PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Gammon & Coke

Comments

• rosy
    rosy Posts: 642 Forumite
    If you like the gammon in coke, can I suggest you try Nigella's version using cherry coke - I've done both and we all prefer the taste of the cherry coke version ( with a black cherry jam glaze). Though I try not to think of all the additives that must be going into the meat....
  • Mics_chick
    Mics_chick Posts: 12,014 Forumite
    My mum's given me a gammon joint she hasn't used yet - don't know why?

But I thought about cooking it in the slowcooker but can I cook veggies with it or just put it in on it's own?
    You should never call somebody else a nerd or geek because everybody (even YOU !!!) is an
    "anorak" about something whether it's trains, computers, football, shoes or celebs :p :rotfl:
  • oops_a_daisy
    oops_a_daisy Posts: 2,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Im sure somebody else will be along soon with more advice but Im sure I read somewhere on here that it is really nice to cook it in a slowcooker with a can of coke :D but if you dont fancy that just bung it in with all the veggies and a bit of water. Not sure about the salt content though as Gammon can have a lot of salt in it and if I cook it on the top of the stove I would change the water after boiling it to reduce the salt so:confused: anyway as I said somebody will be along soon who knows much more about it than me :rolleyes:
    :cool: Official DFW Nerd Club Member #37 Debt free Feb 07 :cool:
  • Jayar
    Jayar Posts: 735 Forumite
    Agree with oops a daisy. I'd start it off on the stove top and change the water before putting it in the slow cooker. And you can put in on its own, but it's just as easy (and much nicer) to put the veg in with it.
    A friend is someone who overlooks your broken fence and admires the flowers in your garden.
  • Mics_chick
    Im sure somebody else will be along soon with more advice but Im sure I read somewhere on here that it is really nice to cook it in a slowcooker with a can of coke :D but if you dont fancy that just bung it in with all the veggies and a bit of water. Not sure about the salt content though as Gammon can have a lot of salt in it and if I cook it on the top of the stove I would change the water after boiling it to reduce the salt so:confused: anyway as I said somebody will be along soon who knows much more about it than me :rolleyes:

Thanks oops :D I've changed the thread title to hopefully find out more about the cola thing...:confused:
    You should never call somebody else a nerd or geek because everybody (even YOU !!!) is an
    "anorak" about something whether it's trains, computers, football, shoes or celebs :p :rotfl:
  • boo81
    boo81 Posts: 654 Forumite
    Nigella Lawson and various other chefs have done the cooking with cola, cherry coke works best. It just gives it a bit of a sweetness and makes it more tender. My brother tried it at christmas and there was a difference between the cherry cola and normal ones, it was much nicer!!
  • Mics_chick
    boo81 wrote: »
    Nigella Lawson and various other chefs have done the cooking with cola, cherry coke works best. It just gives it a bit of a sweetness and makes it more tender. My brother tried it at christmas and there was a difference between the cherry cola and normal ones, it was much nicer!!

Could you really taste the cherry flavour or was it quite subtle - my OH hates sweet sauces and things with meat...
  • boo81
    boo81 Posts: 654 Forumite
    It wasnt a strong flavour at all, im trying to think of something to liken it to but I cant. Oh, sort of like when something is honey roasted, you can taste the difference but you wouldnt identify it as being sweet. Does that make sense?
  • Mics_chick
    boo81 wrote: »
    It wasnt a strong flavour at all, im trying to think of something to liken it to but I cant. Oh, sort of like when something is honey roasted, you can taste the difference but you wouldnt identify it as being sweet. Does that make sense?

Yep - that explains it's brilliantly - thanks :T

It should be ok for my OH then - I'll definitely give it a try...:D
  • Hi!
    Sorry if I am repeating anything, been through all the posts that came up on the subjextand didn't find anything specific

Thought I would try nigellas ham in coke, well kinda but I am a bit confused over how long to cook it for in the slow cooker?

I have a 1kg pork loin joint and I put it in the slow cooker at 1.30 pm on high and am hoping to eat it tonight. Will it be cooked by then? I have seen 10 hours on low mentioned so thought this should be OK, but I am always wary with pork since as a child I was warned about tapeworm :rolleyes:. I was meant to have it on all day on low, but forgot and had to start it after I finished work at 1pm.

Also think I used far too much cherry coke, as I was pouring I thought to myself "I need to cover the joint" so it ended up taking nearly a whole 2litre bottle, now everything I read just says a small bottle is enough (or 1.5 cups in american recipes) is this far too much for it to caramelise?

After it is cooked I am going to spread it with bbq sauce rather than nigellas treacle and mustard combo, cos I can't really stand mustard :)

Please tell me it will work and won't still be raw at midnight, eeek!

Sarah
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport