Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Comments

• Can someone give me some advice on my recent delay with Lufthansa. Me and my family were on a flight from Sophia to Manchester via Frankfurt. The initial flight was delayed for 50 minutes without explanation so we missed our connecting flights. At Frankfurt we were give a later flight some five hours later. At this time Lufthansa gave us forty euros of vouchers for food and a rep advised us we could make a claim for delay.

So we arrived at Manchester over 5 hours late and now Lufthansa are saying we are not eligible for compensation. They state the flights were affected by a third party. I looked at the incoming flights for Sophia and no others appeared to be delayed. They have offered 100 euro as a gesture of good will but I am yet to accept.

Any advice would be helpful.
    Thanks
    Dave
  • Start by putting your flight details into euclaim and bottonline
  • So I checked with the two sites and they say I am eligible. I gave Lufthansa the news and they are sticking to their guns on this one. So is it best to use one of the aforementioned companies?

Thanks for all your advice.
  • You would be due €1600 euros, if you did it yourselves but you can hand it to one of the companies they will take around a third around €500. leaving you around €1100. But then you have no hassle and they are experts.
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Just a wee update. After Vueling refused our claim back in August 2018, we used the services of Bott & Co. Very efficient, kept us updated throughout and we have now received £218 each.
    Well worth the fees because we would have got nothing without them.

Thanks to all on this thread for your help and guidance through the early days off our claim.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • I have a rather complex issue with BA to which I can't seem to find an answer. I attended a conference in Nova Scotia and they booked me a ticket via British Airways. It was a LHR > Toronto > Halifax - return ticket, with BA operating the London > Toronto leg and WestJet operating the Toronto > Halifax leg.

Outbound journey went fine. On the return leg we arrived at Halifax airport to find out that our Halifax to Toronto flight was cancelled, due to weather issues. When I reopened my BA app, it showed that I had been rebooked for the same flight 2 days later. I went to the WestJet counter straight away and was told that the best they could do was a rerouting the next day via Montreal with a 12 hour layover. I was offered no further offers of assistance such as a hotel.

I called BA, I naively thought that as a European ticket and a Silver Exec member they would try to resolve the issue in a more suitable manner. Got through to an indifferent member of the Customer Services team who said there was nothing further they could offer and they were not willing to re-route me on another airline, despite Air Canada having tickets that would get me home at a comparable time to my original ticket. She said they would be willing to refund half of my original ticket (£255), I explained that was seriously insufficient given a replacement ticket at the very last moment was £730.

Not wanting to be stranded in Halifax and worried I would miss the last option to get home (there was only a few tickets left on the one flight that day suitable), without a hotel and lose at least a day of work I bought a new one way ticket with Air Canada (£730) home, via Montreal. There were some issues (to say the least) but I got home only 3 1/2 hours late due to the new ticket, despite the weather.

I complained to BA as soon as I got home. They have said it's not their problem as the BA Toronto > London flight flew on time, and I need to take it up with WestJet. WestJet says talk to BA. BA are no longer offering their half refund either.

Canadian laws look like they are changing next month to give me more rights, but that's not much use to me at the moment. It's unclear if my European rights apply, looks like it's untested.

I have travel insurance in many different ways, but I'm not sure I'm covered for this flight, still checking my various policies.

I feel like I'm going crazy, but this indifference is totally unacceptable. If I'd have waited for BA/WestJet's proposed flight, I would have lost a days work and costs of a hotel and subsistence in hotels for another day.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Becky
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Westjet cancellation - best to try travel insurance
  • Ryanair flight delayed from Tenerife to Edinburgh 10/11/2019 for 12 hours , submitted form on website the following night 2x 400 euros paid into my account last night . couldn't believe it was sorted so quickly
  • Hi, I am a newbie so please bear with me.

I booked a holiday to Vegas with Virgin Holidays, no problems outbound LHR>LAS direct with Virgin Atlantic.

The return journey had first sector to LAX as codeshare with Delta, 1hr 15m layover then connect to VA flight to LHR. The Delta flight was delayed by almost two hours due to a 'maintenance issue' and I was advised that I would not make my connecting flight to Heathrow.
    I was put on alternative flights the following day which resulted in a 20 hour total delay from when I should have arrived at Heathrow.

Originally, at the gate I accepted alternative flights with Delta but when I got to my hotel I had a look at available flights and found better options (less changes and total duration). When I called Virgin they advised that the booking had been taken over by Delta as it was their mistake and to call Delta (which I did).

I have followed advice from this thread and looked at Bott&Co (but did not give them my details as I wish to represent myself), it seems that I am eligible for EU compensation as the return flights were made on one booking.

However I am confused - who I should make a complaint to, Virgin Holidays, Virgin Atlantic or Delta?

Many thanks for any help.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    dashdakota wrote: »
    it seems that I am eligible for EU compensation as the return flights were made on one booking.
    incorrect - EU261 claims are made against the operating carrier.
    The operating flight here is Delta....as a non-EU airline, EU261 only applies on flights departing the EU
    You could make a complaint to them...some US airlines may choose to issue travel vouchers as comp for delays. Also check if your travel insurance covers anything...although may be a token amount
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback