HSBC Fraud Query

Comments

• xlnc99 wrote: »
    I have an account with 365 and i know how they work. No chance the crooks can get away with anything to do with them. Makes this even more bizzare. I suggest you contact 365 - they have IP addreses and all details of the account. You need to explain what happened because the betting account made has to be in your name which means the crooks made it in your name with your details

How was the money deposited? Card i presume

I don't really want to contact either of the betting companies because HSBC are already in contact with them and I don't want to confuse the issue.

I don't know how the money was deposited - All i know is that it was withdrawn from my account in 13 separate transactions of £100 each across the 2 companies
  • Imagine if the fraudsters also know a way of fraudulently getting the money from OP's bank account. Imagine that. That would be crazy wouldn't it.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    navidson wrote: »
    I don't really understand this hostility from some posters on here - I posted a genuine question hoping for some advice and instead have had people calling me a fraudster?!

They have no knowledge of the fraud process and how easy it is for fraudsters to commit fraud using someone's card details.

Rest easy :T Safe in the knowledge that these people have less idea over what has happened than you do :rotfl:
    Life in the slow lane
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    navidson wrote: »
    I don't really understand this hostility from some posters on here - I posted a genuine question hoping for some advice and instead have had people calling me a fraudster?!

It's strange, isn't it. I've wondered about this online behaviour before, and it may be partly that a lot of the nuances of face to face communication are lost.

I hope it's something innocent like that.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    xlnc99 wrote: »
    No chance the crooks can get away with anything to do with them.

Yes, there is. Just because *you* don't know how to do it, doesn't mean it can't be done.
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    You assume WRONG. It took me all of about 2 minutes to go to the Betway website and verify their requirements. You who have alegedly suffered this fraud couldn't be bothered to do this; you just assumed.

Victims of fraud are under no moral or legal obligations to investigate the policies of the companies that have allowed themselves to be used by fraudsters.

It is well known that gambling sites *are used* by fraudsters regularly. Clearly whatever checks these sites have in place are inadequate. Probably because they do the absolute bare minimum to be able to claim they're trying to stop it. This isn't some previously unheard of outlier, this is a fairly common fraud vector, there is nothing in the OP's claims that is suspicious or unusual.
  • Tallaght
    Tallaght Posts: 1,632 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    There is someone on ebay selling bet365 and Sky bet verified accounts at £65 for each and using paypal with them.It must be poor security checking.
  • Hi Navidson. Did this situation ever get resolved? The same thing happened to my wife but to two of her accounts. This was a number of weeks ago and both banks have giving notice to close her accounts in 60 days – the investigation is still ongoing. Like you, she has never used gambling websites and is very stressed about the ordeal.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,431 Forumite
    edited 6 January 2020 at 11:10PM
    aidoDel wrote: »
    Hi Navidson. Did this situation ever get resolved? The same thing happened to my wife but to two of her accounts. This was a number of weeks ago and both banks have giving notice to close her accounts in 60 days – the investigation is still ongoing. Like you, she has never used gambling websites and is very stressed about the ordeal.

Only way the Op would get feedback was if the betting company provided the bank with account details that could be taken as the OP.

In your wifes case. Any family members do gambling? As for both banks to do this, then they must have some very good evidence that someone close is involved.
    I have had cases where it is a family member and these have been treated as fraud, yet bank account would not be closed.

Has she had fraud before?
    As multiple cases can cause acc closures.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    aidoDel wrote: »
    Hi Navidson. Did this situation ever get resolved? The same thing happened to my wife but to two of her accounts. This was a number of weeks ago and both banks have giving notice to close her accounts in 60 days – the investigation is still ongoing. Like you, she has never used gambling websites and is very stressed about the ordeal.

See also https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6088363 for more info
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure