Activating new debit card

IvanDP
IvanDP Posts: 231 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 21 October 2019 at 8:38PM in Budgeting & bank accounts
Apologies if this is a dumb question.

I have recently opened a Nationwide FlexDirect account, for no other reason than to collect the interest.
I have received my card and PIN, and as usual the letter that came with the card talks about activation.
As I have no intention of making any purchases or ATM withdrawals from this account, will it matter if I don't actually activate the card?

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    The same question was sked on another thread very recently.
    No it won't matter but on general principals I would activate it now to avoid any potential problems that may arise should you decide that you do want to use the card in the future.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    You need the card to move money out of your account, either temporarily or permanently. New payees always need to be confirmed with the card (and card reader), and you even need the card randomly when making payments to existing payees. That is, unless you used the card for logging into your online banking.

This may or may not changed when Nationwide implement 2FA over the coming months.
  • IvanDP
    colsten wrote: »
    You need the card to move money out of your account, either temporarily or permanently. New payees always need to be confirmed with the card (and card reader), and you even need the card randomly when making payments to existing payees. That is, unless you used the card for logging into your online banking.

This may or may not changed when Nationwide implement 2FA over the coming months.

Fortunately, Nationwide will accept any (Nationwide) card in the card reader for internal transfers between your own accounts, which is all I will be doing.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    IvanDP wrote: »
    Fortunately, Nationwide will accept any (Nationwide) card in the card reader for internal transfers between your own accounts, which is all I will be doing.
    You didn't mention you had other Nationwide accounts, so I couldn't know. You are correct, any valid Nationwide debit card can be used to set up new payees, and to confirm payments if required.

Just for clarity: you only get interest on the FlexDirect if your monthly min deposit comes from a non-Nationwide account. This can be an account in your, or someone else's, name at another bank. Internal transfers don't count, and you don't need a card for internal transfers.
  • IvanDP
    You didn't mention you had other Nationwide accounts, so I couldn't know. You are correct, any valid Nationwide debit card can be used to set up new payees, and to confirm payments if required.

My apologies for not making it clear that I was an existing nationwide customer.
    Just for clarity: you only get interest on the FlexDirect if your monthly min deposit comes from a non-Nationwide account. This can be an account in your, or someone else's, name at another bank. Internal transfers don't count, and you don't need a card for internal transfers.

And thank you for the clarification regarding pay in requirements and internal transfers.
    Luckily I was aware of this and the transfers are set up externally.

All that is left to do now is sit back for a year and then collect the interest :j
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Just get the card activated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business