Please help with Hammonds!!!

Hello,

Seeking advice please! Had Hammonds install fitted wardrobes for £4K and there is not a single thing I am satisfied with; from the overpriced design for a few carcass sides, shelves, and four doors to the poor quality materials used, and bad workmanship, the whole thing looks like something bought from an MFI sale that I have attempted to fit myself with the aid of a handsaw and a few screws.

Splintered/wonky/jigsaw-ed edges, gaps alongside and behind uneven shelving, chipped mirrored doors, badly filled joints..... there is an issue with EVERY single fixing.

What are my rights please?!?!?

TIA!!!!!

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Firstly, if you thought the design was overpriced, why did you purchase from them?
  • Probably a competitor just trying to bad mouth the business.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,879
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    As hollydays says, why did you go through with the fitting if you thought they were overpriced in the first place?

Anyway, the best thing to do is to take lots of photos of the problems, write to them explaining the problem and ask them to put it right.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Duplicate here ... https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6038401

I've marked that one as :spam:
  • Anon321
    Anon321 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Apologies for the delay with replying, I am new to this site so accidentally duplicated my post. The whole experience is so stressful!

This is most definitely not spam!!!

The plans were drawn up, my elderly Parent’s signed for it and I paid as a present and in the good faith that even though more pricey I would get a quality service and product, and a friend had recommended Hammonds. Its only when I showed my friend the terrible pictures that it came to light she had paid a similar price but her wardrobes had backs and bottoms - my Parents were lied to when they were told they don’t come with backs.

The Surveyor has been around and agreed with everything I said, he is recommending replacement of the majority of the carcass due to poor workmanship, but said that’s the quality would be the same as it’s the product. That product is most definitely not what I saw in the showrooms. They will also look to replace with if the four sliding doors having installed them already damaged.

I have had enough now. I don’t want their rubbish product replaced with more rubbish product. There is nothing “fitted” about the overpriced design. And I would offer better workmanship myself! Am I entitled to have my money back please?

No sarcastic responses necessary thank you. Would just appreciate some much needed support right now please!
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812
    Forumite
    edited 22 August 2019 at 9:02AM
    There are several issues here, I will just touch on one, leave others to help you with the legal points.

Looking at the website there seem to be fitted wardrobes and sliding door wardrobes . It looks like your parents have signed a contract for the cheaper range that don't come with backs.On the face of it, there's no issue with that, as if they chose that range, obviously they DONT come with backs is not an incorrect statement.That your parents may have not studied the spec properly may well not be anyone's fault but their own.Sorry if this isn't what you want to hear.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    my Parents were lied to when they were told they don’t come with backs.

That doesn't make sense. They were told they didn't come with backs and they haven't from what you are saying so why is that a lie?
  • Lip_Stick
    Lip_Stick Posts: 2,415
    Forumite
    waamo wrote: »
    That doesn't make sense. They were told they didn't come with backs and they haven't from what you are saying so why is that a lie?

The lie is that they are available to buy with backs, or at least certain ones in their ranges do.
    There's a storm coming, Mr Johnson. You and your friends better batten down the hatches, because when it hits, you're all gonna wonder how you ever thought you could live so large and leave so little for the rest of us.
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,264
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 22 August 2019 at 3:57PM
    Lip_Stick wrote: »
    The lie is that they are available to buy with backs, or at least certain ones in their ranges do.
    Where in OP's post does it state that Hammonds lied about backs in the range they chose, all it says is that someone else had similar priced units but theirs had backs.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Lip_Stick wrote: »

Let me see if I understand this because I'm not sure I do. Hammonds say that it doesn't come with backs. A friend who had one said theirs had backs.

Hammonds then install without backs. This somehow makes them liars?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure