IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Review of Witness Statement

Options
Hello,

Would someone be able to cast their eyes over this witness statement my daughter has prepared for her upcoming court appearance, We have gone through the other forum post of these statements and we believe we have covered the correct areas.

We also have noted that the claimant in their witness statement has provided the wrong contract for the parking, it is for a different address. Should this be mention now or at the time of the court case?

Many thanks in advance
Aliseris

Witness statement below:-

In the County Court at xxxxxx
Claim Number: xxxxxxxxx
BETWEEN:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Claimant)
vs
Mrs xxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxx (Defendant)

2. I am a Resident of the block of Flats at xxxxxx, xxxxxxx xxxxx, xxxxxx, xxxx,, and attach evidence of my Tenancy agreement as Exhibit A.

3. On Xrd Xxxxx xxxx, My vehicle registration no, XXxxXXX was parked in my allocated car parking space, see attached Land Registry provided by my Landlord Exhibit B.

4. I have two Permits, one Residential and one Visitor, that were issued with a letter on insert date informing us that the Claimant would now be monitoring the parking and that permits should be displayed at all times. I had received no information regarding this change from my Landlord or the Management Company, Xxxxxxx Xxxxxxx. Attached are pictures of both permits Exhibit C and letter received Exhibit D.

5. On the date in question I had forgotten to put my permit in my car, due to the system being newly introduced, however, upon seeing the parking company representative from my living room window I attempted to run after him and show him my permit, but, having a 7 month old and a dog to look after, he had left before I got out of my flat. On seeing the parking invoice on my car window, I placed my permit in my car and took a picture. Picture of Ticket and Permit in car Exhibit E

6. Upon receipt of The Claim Form from the representatives of the Claimant, my Landlord wrote on the 28th July 2019 to the Claimant informing them of the above facts, explaining that I was authorised to use the parking space, and requesting that they drop the claim, however they have elected to pursue this matter via litigation. Letter sent by my Landlord Exhibit F.

7. It is my position that, under the doctrine of promissory estoppel, the Claimant has no standing, or cause of action, to litigate in this matter.

8. I invite the Court to dismiss this claim in its entirety, and to award my costs of attendance at the hearing, such as are allowable pursuant to CPR 27.14.

Statement of Truth

I believe that the facts stated in this Witness Statement are true.

Comments

• beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Could you please tell us who the parking company is and which legal.

Given what you say, the legal would be as daft as brush to continue
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    7. It is my position that, under the doctrine of promissory estoppel, the Claimant has no standing, or cause of action, to litigate in this matter.
    Are you saying that "you/your daughter were promised a parking space by virtue of your residency"? Was this in your defence? You/your daughter would surely be better covered by primacy of contract. There are plenty of "own parking space" witness statements to look at. The WS should support and back up what was stated in the defence.
  • Aliseries
    Options
    Hello Beamerguy
    Company is
    UK Car Parking Management Limited

Thanks
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    No such firm. UK Car Park Management Ltd., you mean, using Gladstones?
    We also have noted that the claimant in their witness statement has provided the wrong contract for the parking, it is for a different address. Should this be mention now or at the time of the court case?
    LOL, it is not for you to point out their error in their evidence before the hearing. As this is not something that you could be said to be 'ambushing' with, just have it as your first point to raise at the hearing and watch the rep squirm!

DO NOT AGREE TO AN ADJOURNMENT TO ALLOW THEM TO FIELD THE RIGHT DOCUMENT. They will ask for that...say ''no, I have arranged childcare/missed a day's work for this farce of a claim for a sum they are not entitled to pursue as it ignores my primacy of contract and existing rights and easements, and it exceeds £100, contrary to consumer law and case law*. And this Claimant is legally represented so they should not be granted any relief from sanctions - that their evidence is found wanting is not my fault and they should not be given a second chance to attack a resident based on a meritless case''.

Please answer Le_Kirk's query, as you need to include primacy of contract:
    Are you saying that "you/your daughter were promised a parking space by virtue of your residency"? Was this in your defence? You/your daughter would surely be better covered by primacy of contract. There are plenty of "own parking space" witness statements to look at. The WS should support and back up what was stated in the defence.

And, what exactly (word for word) did your defence say?

Your local court isn't Lewes, Brighton or Worthing, is it? If so, I can help.

* read CEC16's thread as you need to add the words about the CRA 2015, the Beavis case, the POFA and abuse of process in claiming £160 instead of £100. This is vital to get your head around and adds a few pages to your evidence (one binding case law and two statute laws can't be wrong).
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Aliseries
    Options
    Hello Coupon-mad

Yes it is Gladstones. The case is to be held at Reading County Court

Hello Le-Kirk,

Yes we did use the defence of residency here below is the defence

Thank you all.
    Aliseries

DEFENCE

Preliminary
    1. The Particulars of Claim lack specificity and are embarrassing. The Defendant is prejudiced and is unable to prepare a full and complete Defence. The Defendant reserves the right to seek from the Court permission to serve an Amended Defence should the Claimant add to or expand his Particulars at a later stage of these proceedings and/or to limit the Claimant only to the unevidenced allegations in the Particulars.

2. The Particulars of Claim fail to refer to the material terms of any contract and neither comply with the CPR 16 in respect of statements of case, nor the relevant practice direction in respect of claims formed by contract or conduct. The Defendant further notes the Claimant's failure to engage in pre-action correspondence in accordance with the pre-action protocol and with the express aim of avoiding contested litigation.

Background
    3. It is admitted that at all material times the Defendant is the registered keeper of the vehicle registration mark XXxxXXX which is the subject of these proceedings. The vehicle is insured with Exxx with 2 named drivers permitted to use it.

4. It is admitted that on xx/xx/xx18 the Defendant's vehicle was parked at Xxx xxxxxx, xxxxxxx xxxx, xxxxxxx, xxxx xxx.

5. It is denied that the Defendant was the driver of the vehicle. The Claimant is put to strict proof.
    5.1. The Claimant has provided no evidence (in pre-action correspondence or otherwise) that the Defendant was the driver. The Defendant avers that the Claimant is therefore limited to pursuing the Defendant in these proceedings under the provisions set out by statute in the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 ("POFA")
    5.2. Before seeking to rely on the keeper liability provisions of Schedule 4 POFA the Claimant must demonstrate that:
    5.2.1. there was a ‘relevant obligation’ either by way of a breach of contract, trespass or other tort; and
    5.2.2. that it has followed the required deadlines and wording as described in the Act to transfer liability from the driver to the registered keeper.
    It is not admitted that the Claimant has complied with the relevant statutory requirements.

5.3. To the extent that the Claimant may seek to allege that any such presumption exist, the Defendant expressly denies that there is any presumption in law (whether in statute or otherwise) that the keeper is the driver. Further, the Defendant denies that the vehicle keeper is obliged to name the driver to a private parking firm. Had this been the intention of parliament, they would have made such requirements part of POFA, which makes no such provision. In the alternative, an amendment could have been made to s.172 of the Road Traffic Act 1988. The 1988 Act continues to oblige the identification of drivers only in strictly limited circumstances, where a criminal offence has been committed. Those provisions do not apply to this matter.

Authority to Park and Primacy of Contract
    6. It is denied that the Defendant or lawful users of his/her vehicle were in breach of any parking conditions or were not permitted to park in circumstances where an express permission to park had been granted to the Defendant permitting the above mentioned vehicle to be parked by the current occupier and leaseholder of [address], whose tenancy agreement permits the parking of vehicle(s) on land. The Defendant avers that there was an absolute entitlement to park deriving from the terms of the lease, which cannot be fettered by any alleged parking terms. The lease terms provide the right to park a vehicle in the relevant allocated bay, without limitation as to type of vehicle, ownership of vehicle, the user of the vehicle or the requirement to display a parking permit. A copy of the lease will be provided to the Court, together with witness evidence that prior permission to park had been given.

7. The Defendant avers that the operator’s signs cannot (i) override the existing rights enjoyed by residents and their visitors and (ii) that parking easements cannot retrospectively and unilaterally be restricted where provided for within the lease. The Defendant will rely upon the judgments on appeal of HHJ Harris QC in Jopson v Homeguard Services Ltd (2016) and of Sir Christopher Slade in K-Sultana Saeed v Plustrade Ltd [2001] EWCA Civ 2011. The Court will be referred to further similar fact cases in the event that this matter proceeds to trial.

7. Accordingly it is denied that:
    7.1. there was any agreement as between the Defendant or driver of the vehicle and the Claimant
    7.2. there was any obligation (at all) to display a permit; and
    7.3. the Claimant has suffered loss or damage or that there is a lawful basis to pursue a claim for loss.

Alternative Defence - Failure to set out clearly parking terms
    8. In the alternative, the Defendant relies upon ParkingEye Ltd v Barry Beavis (2015) UKSC 67 in so far as the Court were willing to consider the imposition of a penalty in the context of a site of commercial value and where the signage regarding the penalties imposed for any breach of parking terms were clear - both upon entry to the site and throughout.
    8.1. The Defendant avers that the parking signage in this matter was, without prejudice to his/her primary defence above, inadequate.
    8.1.1. At the time of the material events the signage was deficient in number, distribution, wording and lighting to reasonably convey a contractual obligation;
    8.1.2. The signage did not comply with the requirements of the Code of Practice of the Independent Parking Committee’s ("IPC") Accredited Operators Scheme, an organisation to which the Claimant was a signatory; and
    8.1.3. The signage contained particularly onerous terms not sufficiently drawn to the attention of the visitor as set out in the leading judgment of Denning MR in J Spurling v Bradshaw [1956] EWCA Civ 3
    8.2. The Defendant avers that the residential site that is the subject of these proceedings is not a site where there is a commercial value to be protected. The Claimant has not suffered loss or pecuniary disadvantage. The penalty charge is, accordingly, unconscionable in this context, with Uk Car Park Management Limited distinguished.

9. It is denied that the Claimant has standing to bring any claim in the absence of a contract that expressly permits the Claimant to do so, in addition to merely undertaking parking management. The Claimant has provided no proof of any such entitlement.

10. It is denied that the Claimant has any entitlement to the sums sought.

11. It is admitted that interest may be applicable, subject to the discretion of the Court on any sum (if awarded), but it is denied that interest is applicable on the total sums claimed by the Claimant.
  • Coupon-mad
    edited 18 November 2019 at 11:30PM
    Options
    Maybe beamerguy would fancy going along to watch this one as it's at Reading (beware, sometimes these are changed at short notice to Slough).

Is the WS signed by 'Jack Chapman' as a facsimile signature? Read the 2019 posts here:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5923804&page=2

If yours is also signed by Jack, would you like me to write you a similar SRA complaint email tailored to your case, to make a real difference (strike while the iron is hot this week, as I am aware that the SRA has a live investigation in hand). I am happy to write a similar complaint email in which you could tip the SRA off that your case is the same, and cannot have been written or checked by 'Jack Chapman' of UKCPM, not least because the wrong landowner site contract has been appended.

As for your court WS, what's your deadline, as you need more with that. A costs schedule and a supplementary WS about the fake added damages (wording already written in post #14 of beamerguy's Abuse of Process thread).

:)
  • Aliseries
    Options
    Hello Coupon-mad,

The WS has been signed by Jack Chapman.

We think our deadline is Wednesday for the witness statement (14 days + time to post??) it's been a bit mad recently with my daughter as she has just had her second child, so things have drifted. The court case is on the 6th of December 2019.

If you could write a SRA complaint email that would be most appreciated.

The court has asked for the production of original documents, she has the letters, tenancy agreement etc... the landlord has provided a copy of the land registry showing the allocated parking space, does this need to be the original?

Many thanks again

Aliseries
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    You can take the original documents if you have them, in your own bundle on the day, but if it's a copy, then print out the landlord's email that attached it (if it was by email) to prove the authenticity.

Re the WS with the facsimile signature, it is very clear the parking firm has little or no input to these cases and yours has the added error of the landowner contract being the wrong one, that any true witness looking through their statement with due diligence before signing it in real time, would not have done!

You could make a real difference here!

An SRA complaint is already in and due to have an update later this week, so please URGENTLY email another to the investigating officer:

To: report@sra.org.uk

FTAO
    David Clare
    Investigation Officer
    Solicitors Regulation Authority

Dear Mr Clare,

Re: Gladstones Solicitors Limited, Warrington Road, High Legh, Knutsford, WA16 6AA (SRA ID 559050)

I understand that a complaint has been made under your ref POL/1278102-2019, and a current investigation is underway that suggests the firm may have been in breach of the SRA's standards or requirements and that the allegations have been deemed serious enough to warrant further investigation.

I am unconnected to the previous complainant but have been informed about his complaint, where template witness statements have been submitted by this solicitor firm, with identical wording and case law cited which are not only not true witness statements from their client at all, but where it is clear in at last one case, that 'Jack Chapman' could not have signed it.

I too have received a Witness Statement with the same facsimile signature.

The 'witness' is referencing several case laws with outcomes and it is obvious that it has been written by a law firm and not the claimant. Further, the so called witness has appended an incorrect landowner contract from a completely different address.

Please note that I provide this (specific to my case) information for your investigation only - but not so that it can be shared with Gladstones at this stage - as my case is ongoing with an imminent hearing, and I have no duty to point out the other side's errors prior to the hearing. I would like to ask that you also consider my case in your investigation, but please do not show Gladstones that specific error about the wrong landowner contract.

It seems clear that Gladstones' administrative staff have written and produced this Witness Statement, not Jack Chapman of the Claimant firm. Any company employee witness looking through their statement with due diligence before signing it in real time, would not have appended a completely different contract for the wrong car park location.

The 'witness statement' itself is almost an exact match template for those used by Gladstones in all parking cases they take to court (tens of thousands per year) and the same template is in the public domain hundreds of times on the internet and it is clear it is written by the solicitor firm, not the client.

Moreover, I understand you have already been shown a copy of a job advert where Gladstones were very recently advertising for freelance statement writers, working from home, which clearly indicates that their business model involves churning out template ''witness statements'' which appear to be false instruments with little or no input from any actual witnesses.

What concerns me most is that Gladstones is doing this for all UKCPM cases, and it seems likely they do this for other parking firms too, given the amount of robo-claims handled for the industry by this firm.

More generally, Gladstones operate under a conflict of interests, having been well known to have shared Directors with the parking Trade Body, the IPC. Gladstones and the IPC appear to conspire to encourage member parking firms to operate in a cartel-like fashion, adding £60 'damages' to each claim (which they are aware cannot be recovered due to para 4(5) of Schedule 4 of the POFA 2012, and paragraphs 6, 10 and 14 of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 'grey list' of unfair terms, and indeed the ParkingEye Ltd v Beavis Supreme Court case, in which paras 98, 193 and 198 make it clear any costs are already absorbed in a parking charge). The self-serving IPC has recently updated its Code of Practice to stretch the rules to make this added £60 appear allowable and as usual, the wording in the 'witness statement' I received, uses Gladstones' template wording to try to justify it. The unreasonable conduct and conflict of interests of the IPC and Gladstones seems to be an abuse of process, in breach of the SRA's standards and I suspect is unlikely to be something that is news to you.

Most consumers would never stumble across online information showing that the signature is false and the witness statement a regurgitated template written by freelancers for the legal firm. I believe this is rife and quite possibly a pattern tainting all UKCPM claims at least, and maybe all Gladstones' parking claims.

If you require any further information about my case please contact me using this email or my telephone number, which is xxxxx xxxxxx.

Yours sincerely,

your real name and address
  • Aliseries
    Options
    Hello Coupon-mad,

SRA email has been sent by my daughter this morning. Hoping this helps get these solicitors under control.

Thanks

Aliseries
  • londonlegal
    Options
    What action did SRA took here? if Any?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts