PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Yuck. I've just had a really messy job to sort. I put the 2 spare sets of filters from my Gtech air-ram in to soak in a bucket of water in the garage....... and forgot about them........... for about 2 months. They got shoved up against something else and were out of sight. Just spotted them and went to tip the water out in the back garden, thought what's that smell.......... OMG it was rancid. The water had gone stagnant. So I've had to rinse the filters out with about 8 buckets of really hot water and have now put them to soak in half a bucket of bleachy water in the hope of rescuing them. There was no smell in the garage, it was only when I moved the bucket it started.

Oh dear, won't make that mistake again.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Wednesday

I have just replaced some old hangers with space saving black velvet skinny ones. More hangers should be delivered this afternoon so will get them used up as well to make the wardrobe less cluttered and squashed together. I am putting the old hangers into a large box to go to a charity shop.

There are lots of big cardboard boxes in the integral garage which need to be undone and flattened so they can be recycled and make more space to move round and find things. While doing that I will look out a bottle of home made elderberry extract and bring it into the kitchen in case I catch this virus going around.

I have sorted out a couple of kitchen cupboards and can now find things like cans of soup, soft drinks etc. Hoping that if I prepare in case of illness then I won't get ill ;)
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • elona wrote: »
    Wednesday
    I have just replaced some old hangers with space saving black velvet skinny ones. More hangers should be delivered this afternoon so will get them used up as well to make the wardrobe less cluttered and squashed together.

When I got the new hangers I showed my husband how much more space there was in the wardrobe and he didn't believe me at first and thought I had got rid of some of his stuff without his permission!:rotfl:
  • Slinky wrote: »
    Yuck. I've just had a really messy job to sort. I put the 2 spare sets of filters from my Gtech air-ram in to soak in a bucket of water in the garage....... and forgot about them........... for about 2 months. They got shoved up against something else and were out of sight. Just spotted them and went to tip the water out in the back garden, thought what's that smell.......... OMG it was rancid. The water had gone stagnant. So I've had to rinse the filters out with about 8 buckets of really hot water and have now put them to soak in half a bucket of bleachy water in the hope of rescuing them. There was no smell in the garage, it was only when I moved the bucket it started.

Oh dear, won't make that mistake again.

yummy!

I'll tell you all a horror story. One summer I buried a beer can in the garden with the dregs of beer as a slug trap.

And forgot.

Come the following spring I dug the bed and bashed the trowel straight through the buried beer can. It EXPLODED all over me.

The smell was unholy. OH was borking from across the garden :eek:

Took a very hot shower that one :rotfl:
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Good job I wasn't drinking a cuppa when I read that Carrie! My DS1 came home from school and said his homework was to bring in something that smelt horrible for his science lesson - a fermented potato got him good marks ;)
    For all of you Kondoing space in your wardrobes - the ring pull from a can makes a good loop to put over the hook so you can hang another hanger on it. Cola cans are good and it's great to hang skirts/trousers with jackets to save space
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 January 2018 at 4:44PM
    That sounds pretty rank carrie.

Silva if I'd have known your son could have had my bucket of water.....

Have just visited the charity shop with a bag of clean rags - mainly OH's wornout old work shirts with buttons duly removed. Also took a piece of art we have no space on our walls to display here, and will have less in our new home so hopefully somebody else will enjoy it.

Yesterday I finally got around to putting the new books we got at Christmas into the book case, marked up with stickers to show they're as yet unread so they will be easy to locate for holidays. Not enough space so got rid of half a dozen. There were a couple of thick hardback books taking up a LOT of space which I dragged out for the CS. They belonged to OH but in 17 years I've never known him read a hardback fiction book, he rarely reads any books, only on holiday. I had a clearout of a load of his old books a couple of years back; he hasn't noticed, he never will, it wasn't worth the 'well I might read it' argument. There are plenty of other choices if he wants to read.

ETA, finally got around to measuring our lounge windows and have decided the curtains we took down last year will most like fit the lounge in our new house, at least as a temporary measure. There are curtains there, but they're pretty horrid. Just need to get our ones dry cleaned and relocated as they're currently lying on the sofabed in the back bedroom, with the occasional visit from the cat not helping.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Hi all :)

Having another run through of kondoing. I have done clothes, shoes, bags, scarves etc. I have a full bin bag of rubbish. I also have two bin bags of donate and sell items. I finally have all my clothes and bags fitting into my small wardrobe. Shoes and coats are elsewhere but fitting neater there.

No bags of clothing under the bed or on top of the wardrobe for the first time in my adult life.

It always astounds me how many bags I fill. In part this year it is due to me being gifted six! coats when I have always had one, and a large quantity of clothing. This run through was a lot harsher then the past though and has left me with bare essentials in some categories, like bags and tops.

I am off for the rest of this week on annual leave. I have other things to focus on, but my plan tomorrow is to be harsh with my sell pile and only list items I think have value. The rest will be removed from the house on Thursday.

Then onto the next category!
    19/12/14: Spent 10 years of savings!!
    :heart2: ..... to buy my first home. :heart2:
    11K OP 31.03.19

Current goal: €151,000 deposit Ireland and counting, to buy Spring 2022 we hope!
  • Bin bag of rubbish clothes now in the bin and out the house. I am ashamed to say that half the bin bag was summer shoes, which had gone badly mouldy being stored in a plastic bag above my wardrobe.

Today I tackled books. This is a very small category for me as I have less emotional connection to books and purged deeply the last time I kondo’d.

I took pictures of books to eBay and have separated them. I also took pictures of some makeup I had put aside pre-kondoig. It’s jumping a category but I’m clear that I am selling it so it may as well go.

The lighting in my flat isn’t great so I didn’t take pictures of the clothes. I need to do this in the morning. So they are still bagged up. I want to try and pull out what is being charity shopped by tomorrow so they can be removed tomorrow. I find removing items quickly is my best move otherwise I end up with piles I never look at.

I aim to do that tonight and to list at least five items for sale.
    19/12/14: Spent 10 years of savings!!
    :heart2: ..... to buy my first home. :heart2:
    11K OP 31.03.19

Current goal: €151,000 deposit Ireland and counting, to buy Spring 2022 we hope!
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I have 4 bags for the chazzer sat on the floor of the kitchen. Tonight they are going in the boot to deliver tomorrow. I have had them in one spot or another for about 2 months...:eek:

I also have a box of books to deliver to the parcel collection point having sold them online. I got £15 for 9 books so probably worth the hassle, another thing to be delivered tomorrow.

The builder has now finished rebuilding our pipe boxing in our study. Hopefully decorating will start on Saturday. Our open shelving in there needs dismantling (and kondoing) and i am replacing with two !kea wardrobes, which are slightly bigger and we can hide all the carp in there. In addition our large desk is being kondoed (hopefully via freecycle or similar) and a much smaller one put in. The large one just gets clutter dumped on it - this will not be possible with the smaller one. But in addition a 'spare' pine chest of drawers and bedside table are getting the chalk paint treatment for the purposes of containing necessary but unsightly carp
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks for the new thread Slinky :)

I don't post here very often, (partly because OH gets so anxious if I suggest getting rid of anything he hasn't used for several years, sigh) but just wanted to say, re using bars of soap - I went back to "ordinary" soap a couple of months ago and I have been surprised how much "fresher" it smells afterwards, and how easily it rinses off properly compared to shower gel :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure