Personal will

Hi

A relative wants to write their own will (yes I’ve advised them how bad this could be but they won’t listen)

What I need to know once it’s write does it need to be lodge with a solicitor or put into their keeping? Or can it be kept in the persons possession
First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T

Comments

• Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,066
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    A will does not have to be lodged anywhere. It needs to be easily found on your demise so it may be safest to give a sealed signed copy to your chosen executor.
  • dresdendave
    dresdendave Posts: 889
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    As far as I'm aware there are no rules/laws as to where a will is stored. The only thing that really matters is that whoever will be dealing with their affairs knows where to find it.

If they do insist on writing it themselves, perhaps it would be wise for the would be executor to read it to make sure they understand it, while they still have the chance to discuss it with the testator.
  • Faith177
    Faith177 Posts: 2,927
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    As far as I'm aware there are no rules/laws as to where a will is stored. The only thing that really matters is that whoever will be dealing with their affairs knows where to find it.

If they do insist on writing it themselves, perhaps it would be wise for the would be executor to read it to make sure they understand it, while they still have the chance to discuss it with the testator.
    Linton wrote: »
    A will does not have to be lodged anywhere. It needs to be easily found on your demise so it may be safest to give a sealed signed copy to your chosen executor.

Thank you to both of you x
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Help them to make sure its valid; dated and their signature witnessed by two independent adult witnesses.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,583
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    My in-laws did their own wills although I advised them not to.
    The put each other as executors (school boy error).
    It was ok on first death but could cause complications on second death (such as not being able to do probate on line).
    Not the end of the world but just an example of what can happen.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure