PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Help me find an affordable place to buy a house

Comments

• Three bedroom semi-detached in Aleppo.
  • mdori003
    mdori003 Posts: 103
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    A lot of things to factor in, job being the most obvious - does it need to be commutable, does the industry exist at all outside of the SE?

If you really mean the whole UK I'm going to give a shout out to Northern Ireland. Especially if the brexit border issue is sorted in a beneficial way to the region. Although then again i wouldn't count on that.

https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/belfast
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Peterborough, specifically Werrington Village. Very good commuter links, 55 minutes to Kings Cross in London on the train, has pretty much everything you could want, not in the middle of nowhere.

Please see here

or for whole of Peterborough, here
  • Sanne
    Sanne Posts: 523
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Well my brother bought a big 5-bed detached house with huge garden (front and back), good local schools nearby, shops etc. for EUR 149,000 in Germany. There is even an Irish pub in town ;)
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,985
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    OP you need to come back with more info. on your requirements, town, city, country, sea, hills, walking, cycling, what do you want from the area?
    Plus how many bedrooms, near Main road trains, etc.
    Lots of lovely 4 bed detached houses in quiet areas up here in Lincolnshire.
  • homeless9
    homeless9 Posts: 340
    Forumite
    Thanks. Will keep Sherborne in mind, though at first glance it possibly looks a bit too 'remote' for me.

Definitely affordable though.
  • homeless9
    Forumite
    How much money do you actually have?

You say you "can afford" £220k, but is that based on a mortgage?
    If so, the mortgage debt repayments will be based on the assumption of your current job.
    So where can you move to whilst keeping your job?

Self Employed.
  • homeless9 wrote: »
    Self Employed.

Self employed what?
    Where can you realistically find work?

If you've got a fairly good trade / profession, that can work anywhere, I would just start with cheap areas (e.g. Middlesbrough, Redcar etc).
  • homeless9
    Forumite
    hazyjo wrote: »
    Really think it's too vague a post.

You must have some requirements.

You're going to get tonnes of areas mentioned, and in each area there will be tens or hundreds (or more!) properties. You really need to have a list of must haves re the area, then same with the house.

Please don't add overseas into the mix just yet LOL.

I'll throw Newark into the hat. You should be able to get something there. It's apparently not quite as lovely as it once was, but I used to really like it there. Market town, river, shops, nightlife, easy London access if needed.

Thanks....

I edited the main post...added in some specifics....

1. I am just after somewhere that is not chavvy, a few chavs I can deal with, but not a herd of them.

2. I am young-ish, I am 30. I am after somewhere that is walking distance (30 minutes) from bars/pubs that are busy during weekends. Railway stations within 15 minutes drive, supermarkets within 8 minutes drive, cinema, leisure centre and shopping centre within 20 minutes drive.....doesn't need to be this specific, but you get the idea.

I don't want to end up in a village with none of these facilities and surrounded by countryside.
  • homeless9
    Forumite
    Self employed what?
    Where can you realistically find work?

If you've got a fairly good trade / profession, that can work anywhere, I would just start with cheap areas (e.g. Middlesbrough, Redcar etc).

Self employed, working at home running an online retail business, as well as doing freelance graphic design work. So I can live anywhere as I work from home. As long as I have internet connection and a Post office nearby - I am good to go.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure