PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• elfen
    elfen Posts: 10,213 Forumite
    Options
    Spent £35.11 in Mr A and got all I needed, have also mealplanned up until the beginning of February, and we should only need little bits. Still got £38 in the budget but hopefully we'll come in under :D
    ** Total debt: £6950.82 ± May NSDs 1/10 **
    ** Fat Bum Shrinking: -7/56lbs **
    **SPC 2012 #1498 -£152 and 1499 ***
    I do it all because I'm scared.
  • Long_tall_sally
    Options
    Hi everybody. I stil can't find my Aldi or Lidl receipts from Wednesday. The amounts have hit the bank account now so I have updated my signature. I'm a bit cross with myself though cos I have managed to just go over my budget from not keeping a closer eye on where I had actually got to spending wise & if I had done, I could easily have left some of the fruit that I bought yesterday & actually hit target. Mind you, I also can't help thinking that there was something else apart from the socks & teatowels that I bought at Aldi or Lidl that shouldn't have been included in the grocery spends but I cannot think what that might be. Still, this will probably be my best month for ages so budget going in the right direction, I suppose.

It certainly pays to shop around though, if you have the time. Yesterday I bought 5 avocados at the market for a £1 and 4 tins of tuna for £2.47 (I think) at Home Bargains. I then had to go to Sainsbu*ys for some gluten free biscuits & noticed that avocados there were 99p each & the same four tins of tuna £5.99 (not that I would ever pay that much!). So that would have been £7.47 dearer at Sainsbu*ys for the same thing!

NSD today as my car is at the garage getting the battery sorted. I may need to get milk before pay day Wednesday.
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • Equilibrium
    Options
    Mothership wrote: »
    1 in piece root ginger, chopped finely (or 2 teaspoons jar or dried)
    3 Garlic Cloves, chopped finely (or 2 teaspoons jar or powdered)
    chili fresh (dried or powdered)
    2 tablespoons oil groundnut/sunflower/ olive oil or a mix of these.
    Fry all the above then add...
    1 Onion (chopped)
    If the food sticks to the pan add a little water to free it.

Small piece Steak I used fillet, (cut into strips marinade in Soy Sauce)
    If using raw steak add this now. (move around till cooked, then remove from pan).

Leftover Roast Beef
    Leftover Chicken
    Leftover Ham
    Leftover Pork
    Prawns
    Choose any of above, add near the end of cooking

Carrot (chopped)
    Pepper (chopped)
    Use up any veg you have, mange tout, green beans, courgette, cabbage etc, frozen peas, sweetcorn.
    Stir fry above.
    If your using prawns add them now.

Cook the following separately
    Mushrooms (cook under grill in pan with a nob of butter)
    2 eggs beaten with a little milk cook in same pan you made the mushrooms in (don't cook with the mushrooms).

If your using noodles stir fry veg packs with bean sprouts are good.
    Bean sprouts and any veg you have will do.
    Amoy Straight to wok are good or any cooked noodles you have.
    Add the meat, mushrooms & cooked egg.
    Garnish with spring onions and coriander, a little chinese 5 spice, soy sauce, sesame oil, salt if liked.

If making fried rice, cook the rice. 1/2 cup per person. Add the rice to the pan of cooked veg, add the cooked egg.
    Garnish with spring onions, add soy sauce, and coriander.

I like making both these dishes with a variety of different coloured veg, they look amazing and taste delicious, are quick and easy to cook.
    I keep little bags of chopped up leftover meats/veg in the freezer.
    You don't need much meat. For Veggie option no meat LOL.
    Mothership they sound gorgeous ! :beer:
    Thanks for the gingerbread man recipe Equilibrium! Something I've always wanted to make with the children, but they do it at their grandparents' house so I haven't bothered up til now. Seems easy so will give it a go!
    PG x

They are really easy PennyGrabber, and very sticky and messy too, the kids will love it. I always find that once ive got a good texture when mixing by hand, i then add a bit of flour to my hands to make a firmish ball :)
    rosieben wrote: »
    Equilibrium your delish Gingerbread Men recipe is in the index, thanks ;)
    Thankyou Rosieben :)

NSD today and waiting in for our yearly gas inspection , so stops me heading to the shops :rotfl:
    GC spend Jan so far £165.68/ £160 FEB £189 /£170
    MARCH £0/£170
    Beautiful pictures are formed from dark negatives , so when your having a dark day feel rest assured that a beautiful picture is being prepared for you :)
  • Mothership
    Mothership Posts: 823 Forumite
    edited 21 January 2011 at 3:25PM
    Options
    Donald Russell Online butchers have a 10% off everything till sunday 23rd Code win11e9g

I love their meat, it is just delicious, a right old fashioned taste, their website has some lovely recipes too, and their customer service is second to none.
    I purchased the following packs , I'm right into my slow cooker at the moment, and these just are cuts are just perfect to cook in it.

http://www.donaldrussell.com/p/ShopByCategory_Beef_Beef%20Selections/beef-for-braising-d883.htm

http://www.donaldrussell.com/p/HomePromotions/winter-stew-selection-D1119.htm

I got wee £69 windfall from quidco and put £36.30 towards an order for 3 of the Beef for braising packs,with the 10% off it came to £105. 30. I had the order all ready in the cart (waiting for next month) when I got the 10% off email and I swooped LOL.
    Its coming at the end of Feb (you can choose your delivery date,) that will give us time to eat the freezer.

OMG just realised I've turned into my GRANNY LOL, these are all cuts of meat she used to buy, they are hard to come by nowadays.

Thats me overbudget noo.
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    :rotfl::j:wave::j:rotfl:
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
  • nattyt
    nattyt Posts: 431 Forumite
    Options
    Hello all. Can't keep up with thread but my spend so far is £169. Very pleased with that and think i will come in at under £200. x
    If music be the food of love then play on
    "No matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow". ღ ~Maya Angelou
    Doing it for my kids. For a better secure life. x
  • russetred
    russetred Posts: 1,334 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi just updating my total.I know what you mean about checking prices long tall sally, egg noodles £1.42 in t***o, 49p in Al**!
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
  • martafdz
    martafdz Posts: 1,000 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for those links! I really would like to try that website, maybe for my next shopping. I am sticking to what I have in the fridge atm until I make some space. :D But that beef looks amazing!
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • Shysarah
    Shysarah Posts: 535 Forumite
    Options
    Okies, some updating time for me. As ressetred said keeping up with this thread is near impossible but hope your all doing well xx

Market - Mushrooms, Spring Onions, Red Onions - £3.17
    Sainsbugs - £19.16

Running total is £39.99... I would never have believed it!!

I have 1p to last me until the end of Jan. Should in theory manage it as I have lots in now, might run over with veggies but so far I am ever so chuffed!!
    GC 2011
    Jan £43.45/£40.00 Feb £55.14/£55.00 Mar £64.88/£120
    I MUST KEEP POSITIVE!!
    :A Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted (John Lennon) :A

• Robson65
    Robson65 Posts: 103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello everyone

People interested in breadmaker recipes should have a look here

http://www.carrsbreadmaker.info/recipes/index.html

There are loads !
    I've tried the chocolate loaf but made the mistake of making a large loaf in a small breadmaker. The dough almost took over the kitchen !

Robson
    I almost had a psychic boyfriend but he left me before we met.
  • esmer
    esmer Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    Options
    Just been to Mr T's and got my groceries and Spent 31.58 Add on my M&S trip for some stuff during the week 6.95 This weeks spends are 38.53.

Not sure about you guys but I am really watching what Im spending, but Im noticing the prices are up. The bread I like is 1.20 Im cutting right back. I know it will all help when I can save a lot this year, but you have to think of EVERYTHING. Gets tiring............. :rotfl:
    Saving 2.00 coins
    Grocerys set to 40.00 pw
    Being Thrifty
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills