Insurance for 9 year old dog

Options
2»

Comments

• Wendypow1984
    Options
    My verdict - Animal Friends. Straightforward and affordable. Seems to have less restrictions than other policies for the same cost
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My verdict - Animal Friends. Straightforward and affordable. Seems to have less restrictions than other policies for the same cost

Have you seen this thread -
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3476545
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My verdict - Animal Friends. Straightforward and affordable.

yes - to take your money... not so when you try to claim

Seems to have less restrictions than other policies for the same cost

... and hardly ever pay up
  • deethebee
    deethebee Posts: 233 Forumite
    Options
    Wendy, I don't know what vet you are with, but Medivet offer their own plans which isn't exactly insurance but it's a cheaper option and covers things like vaccinations, flea and tick treatment, certain tests and check ups and then also discounts on any medical procedures. I realise it's not going to cover you for any major illnesses or operations, but having regular check ups could catch anything serious early on and possibly reduce the amount of treatment needed. If you don't find anything affordable, have a look into it. I can't see the price for dogs and so I can't advise on that as I have the cat healthcare plan. Medivet have surgeries in many different locations so obviously check and see if you have one in your area first.

Here's the link if you'd like to look into it:

medivet.co.uk/medivet-healthcare-plan/dog-health-plan/
  • gettingready
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No "vet plan" is ever comparable to proper pet insurance.

Flea/worming/tick treatments can be bought very cheaply online via reputable pet pharmacies

Nobody I know takes their pet to the vets on a regular basis just for a check up and the vet bills can run into thousands (my dog's hip replacement was around 14k and so was her cruciates operations, around 14k as well - large breed and the best surgeon - all was covered by insurance)

Rather that waste money on vet plans - good insurance is always a better option
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 2 April 2019 at 2:28PM
    Options
    I'm on a low income so I do both.

Pet Insurance and Healthy Pet Club (CVS Vets).

I priced everything very carefully before signing up to HPC, prescription charges, vaccination cost etc and do gain financially.

Due to my cats age insurance is 80%, so the 10% discount on anything done at the Vets came in very handy recently.

Have also had a free replacement microchip and nail clipping.

It is good for my budgeting as I can allocate those two payments and a bit to add to savings for my insurance liability. Then I've peace of mind.
  • deethebee
    deethebee Posts: 233 Forumite
    Options
    No "vet plan" is ever comparable to proper pet insurance

I don't think I suggested it was :)
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    That's not the third party though.
    If you become a member for £25 you get:

3rd party public liability insurance for your dog – up to £1,000,000 per claim if your dog causes damage or injury to another person, their property or pets (an excess of £200 applies for the UK and £500 in the Republic of Ireland)
    Peace of mind with our Canine Care Card. The guarantee that Dogs Trust will take care of your dog should you pass away
    Unlimited access to VetfoneTM – a 24 hour emergency advice service from veterinary professionals*
    Wag! Magazine three times a year – packed full of doggy news, stories and tips

I've been a member for quite a while as I self insure, but obviously not for the public liability insurance. Also the money goes to a very good cause.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • anniebea
    anniebea Posts: 87 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    my nephews boxer dog is 11 this summer . I know that's old for a boxer, but her insurance has gone up to over £1000 pa. Her excess is £90 per illness and we get docked another 20% of a claim due to her age, pretty standard fare for an old dog.

She also cant cope with operations, anaesthetics now. I think its time to pay as we go for her treatment

I will investigate the 3rd party liability option.
  • gettingready
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have stopped my dogs insurance when they asked for £320per MONTH following a move from zone 3 in London to zone 2 which they said pushed the premium.

Zara was 10 yo ten, already had a lot of surgery previusly (double hip rplacement, doble cruciate operations, sine issues etc etc) so insurance paid out wayyyyy more than I paid in to be honest - increases were gradual of course but £320 per month was simply not doable for me.

Considering I wuld not be putting her through any major surgery etc at that age, I decided to cancel then.

Zara was insured with Argos Platinum and I never had any issues with them paying - and they pay quick. My 4 cats are still insured with them. Never had a vet refuse a direct claim either - with large bills I only ever paid excess and vets were claiming directly from Argos as it is well recognised for being good insurer.

Zara's vert bils were around 40k over 10 years.

Now that she is almost 13 - we get occasional issue quickly dealt with by a vet and it is nowhere near the £320 per MONTH that the premiums jumped up to in Dec 2016.

If any treatment is expensive - I ask the vet for a prescription and get it from Animed or Vet UK>
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure