PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2019 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Ginmonster wrote: »
    I'm off to a flying start as I went into Manchester today and while I was there I went to the big H&B to get some vegan chorizo and lo and behold they had a whole load of it half price as it was short dated. I bought 6 packs and have thrown 5 straight in the freezer. So £9.90 gone there and another £3.28 on tofu and kimchee from the Chinese supermarket. All nice-to-have things rather than essentials bit I don't go into the city very often these days so they'll have to last me.

I went way over budget in January so here's to a better month ahead!

13.18/120

Oooh I've never tried vegan chorizo .What's it made of? :)
    Just been to ALDI n spent £15 /120:D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I did my final tally for the January Grocery Challenge earlier, then counted the contents of the GC Purse: £22.20, which is actually £4.24 higher than our calculated under-spend for January! How on earth did that happen? It must have rolled quietly forward from earlier months. Normally, if we had any money left at the end of a month, I'd expect it to be less than £2, so don't bother increasing the subsequent month's GC budget. However, given the size, please Elsie, may I increase my February budget from £120 to £142.20? Many thanks.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • candygirl wrote: »
    Oooh I've never tried vegan chorizo .What's it made of? :)
    Just been to ALDI n spent £15 /120:D

I've never actually looked what it's made of but it's made by Heather Mills' company VBites. It's got loads of garlic, smoked paprika and chili in for sure and it's really tasty. It comes in a packet of little chunks which I add to pasta dishes, bubble and squeak, Spanish omelette, salad, whatever needs a spicy kick.
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Ginmonster wrote: »
    I've never actually looked what it's made of but it's made by Heather Mills' company VBites. It's got loads of garlic, smoked paprika and chili in for sure and it's really tasty. It comes in a packet of little chunks which I add to pasta dishes, bubble and squeak, Spanish omelette, salad, whatever needs a spicy kick.

Will look out for it then. I was asking cos I can't eat Quorn, it makes me sick :(
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Our February starts today. Please put us up for £182. The month runs 1st to 28th and covers all food and non alcoholic drinks. The chinchillas have their own budget as does the toiletries, cleaning supplies etc.

£45.03/£182.
    £136.97 left.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Oooh, lots of new names appearing in the Challenge, welcome all. :hello:
    piglet27 wrote: »
    Apart from 1/2 tub ice cream and some veggies which are going in a sc chicken meal tomorrow, the freezer is empty so going to de-ice (help efficiency) and then use the extra £50 as and when to re-stock as I find good deals.

:rotfl: You must be the only one on here who's managed to empty the freezer! I'm impressed. ;)
    White_musk wrote: »
    I also went into the Chemist but am not adding that to shopping as it was cold meds.

Luckily, we don't often need chemist stuff but it can be expensive when you do, so I stick 50p every week into a jar to cover the cost. It came in handy a couple of weeks ago when we needed paracetamol, hot lemon drinks and cough medicine. £3.85 and that was for sm's own brand too. :D

Cleaned out the fridge yesterday (pre-shopping) and used up lots of oddments to make a veg soup, very welcome in this cold weather.

First shop of the month today with DH spending £8.90 in the market and me parting with £6.72 in the Co-op. I'd planned on buying a chicken but there were none to be had :(. Gobsmacked, as our Co-op usually seems to have them coming out of their ears! Didn't help that the woman on the checkout said there were several ys ones yesterday. :mad: Oh well, change of meal plan then. :D Also got a box of suet as there's not much left in the cupboard. It's been a while since I bought any but, wow, when did it shoot up in price so much?

Meal plan done/re-adjusted and nothing else needed this week. :j
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • dingdongsaving
    dingdongsaving Posts: 596 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 2 February 2019 at 9:49AM
    First weekly instalment of stock is in! Luckily it's only a 4 weekend month as we needed topping up on squash, coffee and several tins and packets to keep the pantry prepped.

So, bags of dog food and grocery shop all put away. We're all home today too, including DH, so I got a treat for breakfast and we're having black pudding, eggs and some hm hash browns. It's a late breakfast as everyone's had time to relax a bit whilst the shopping was sorted so it'll be a most definite brunch by the time we all reach the table.

£87.02 spent.

Right, time to get the coffee pot on. :coffee: DS has crept out of bed and is under a blanket watching the bird feeders and some stunning pheasants feeding in the garden and I'm about to join him. DD is playing upstairs and DH is reading in bed...until he smells the breakfast! :rotfl:

Happy weekend all! :)
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,340 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I spent £15 in the butcher's yesterday on a gargantuan piece of pork to roast when DS comes over tomorrow, and some lovely sausages and sausage meat. Then a spend in the local Health Food Shop - I bought a kilo of prunes (make you .... more easily :rotfl:) and organic oats, plus £27 on fresh fruit and veg, store cupboard tins and dry pulses and a pack of on-offer ice-cream. I am trying for an ultra-uber-frugal-February so this last item is a misfit, but a little bit of what you fancy, does you good, as someone's granny used to say :D
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Hiya! Hope everyone is warm and dry.
    February continues my annual budget...
    Ald! yesterday £21.71. Signature updated.
    A bit of grin and bear it, a bit of come and share it
    You're welcome we can spare it, yellow socks
  • Please can you putme down for £300 again this months, was under budget last month but we had lots left over from Christmas and received lots of treats as presents which enabled the budget to be stretched. Feb is going to be a tough month as DH has just paid a mashoosive tax bill more than we were expecting so had to shuffle some money and we have had to order more heating oil, although that doesn't need paying for until the end of the month as we have an account.
    Mortgage Jan 2023 9yrs 11mths £61,389 Mortgage overpayment £1867/£3600 Mortgage Jan 2022 11yrs 6mths £69.996 Mortgage overpayment £3132/£3600
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure