PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2019

Comments

• ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    In my efforts to empty the house I got rid of quite a bit today. A huge bowl has been loitering on top of a kitchen cupboard for years so took it to the charity stall at church, someone who cooks for a big family will love it. I gave a friend a big bag of wool in exchange for a £4 donation to my caravan fund.

It was community shop day where we get random food items for £6, today I got some peaches and nectarines which are a bit hard and in my experience rarely soften. SO will make a crumble or two with them tomorrow.Making do rather than wasting them.

Got my leather sandals glued at the cobblers. No charge as he couldnt guarantee the mend but as he said they look very comfy so better than chucking them. I hope they last as they were to replace another pair the same that lasted 4 years.
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
  • Jane2112
    Jane2112 Posts: 239
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi,
    I have been away from this forum for a while, but am back and rather cheekily and back with a question. I already have a Janome machine which works well, but I have obtained ( free) a Toyota quiltmaster50. Has anyone any experience with this machine and top tips.?
    Thanks, Jane
    Jane 2112
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,871
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Got through the mending pile over the last couple of days and also attempted to mend a pair of shoes, not sure if the glue has worked but will wear them at some point this week and see how they hold up.

Made cheese scones this evening to use up some vegan cheese that's been lurking around in the fridge. Popped some chilli flakes in as well to give them some flavour. They look pretty unappealing but taste yum. There's still more cheese left to use up so will make another batch at the weekend.

Encouraged OH to have a look through his clothes and have a clear out - he's got way more clothes than me. Identified a couple of things to go, definitely a work in progress :D
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10527.15/£15000 (70.2% saved). Emergency fund - £1356.48/£1500 (90.4% saved).
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 16 January 2019 at 9:47AM
    Jane2112 - suggest you post your query on the sewing thread if you don't get an answer here .
    Whoops - sorry just read you had!!

Not much making do or mending being done at the moment but have been minimising dust & had a mini wardrobe clear out so six tops and two pairs of cutoffs going out the door.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • frizz2
    frizz2 Posts: 90
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi Everyone,
    I am keen to join this thread as I feel "Make do, mend and minimise" should be my mantra this year. I have repaired one of my sons pair of jeans that had some pen/ink stains on the pockets. I blotted the stain and spot stain and removed the marks. After lots of elbow grease and then soaking them and the stain virtually came out! So son is wearing them again. Also he had some rips in jeans that are fashionable, but needed stabilizing, so I placed a denim fabric behind the rip and did some straight stitch on the sewing machine. My son has taken three favourite pairs of jeans that he had stopped wearing, back to University to wear again.
    I am also trying to use up all my toiletries and not buy any until I have used up what I have. All helps to save money!
  • Leftover pie from Xmas dinner had for tea tonight and tomorrow. Love it. We still have 3 more to get through.
  • nannygladys
    nannygladys Posts: 3,050
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Hi everyone
    Make do: still eating food from stores
    Minimise: Come to the end of the clearing but Im thinking of going around again.
    Mend: I have a sock waiting to be darned but cant find any wool thin enough to use. I will have a look to see if there is any I can unravel a thin strand from.
    Ive made a list of seeds I need this year so tomorrow I will have a look to see how many I have in my box and how many I will have to buy. Also picking dgd from school tomorrow so I think I will make some flap jack or something similar for a treat.
    Nannyg
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen

• Morning all. Mending: I repaired a hole in a chair pad; it's not perfect but as I've put it on a chair that is hardly used and I can't purchase another one that matches the rest it will do.

Jobs for today
    -Veg chilli tonight with whatever veg is in the fridge plus a can of kidney beans.
    -I'm going through my seed box this morning to see what I already have and what I need to get. I can then plan what I am going to grow this year.
    - Also going through knitting stash. I bought a long waxed coat for winter and need a new hat and scarf to go with it.
    Books - the original virtual reality.
    Tilly Tidying:
  • Tonight I am mending my old faithful coat. I have had it for about 10 years and I still love it as much as the day I bought it. Someone complimented me on it yesterday and it made me so happy. I love it when you have clothes that just make you feel nice, however old they are.

There are buttons falling off all over the place and I have managed to keep hold of them all until now. I'm sure if I wait any longer another will go and I'll be frustrated that I didn't get round to it sooner.

Made 2xHM soup last night - Leek and Potato and Broccoli and Stilton. I didn't have enough broccoli for the whole recipe so just reduced the quantities down by a third so as to not throw away the stilton from xmas. I'm not a huge fan of stilton personally but OH is (despite apparently being lactose intolerant - he eats cheese all the time and used to only have dairy-free custard until we ran out then normal custard was fine lol)!!! He likes Broccoli and stilton soup so he has had that today and said it was lovely. Leek and Potato is the ONLY soup DD2 and as she doesn't like/eat hardly any vegetables it all makes me happy when she eats it.

The previous tenant of the allotment has finally taken his shed (but not his leeks). Is it wrong to covet a man's Leeks???
  • The previous tenant of the allotment has finally taken his shed (but not his leeks). Is it wrong to covet a man's Leeks???

:rotfl: Not at all.. I’d give him 48 hours & then they are yours.. ;)
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business