PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Frugal in retirement

Hi guys
OH took early retirement two years ago. I still work part time because I find I need a little structure and enjoy the extra money.
We’re never going to be rich but we have a nice little flat ( it needs a few tweaks, the bathroom and kitchen both need revamping) but are ok at the moment and is where we want to be and old age proof for later in life.
We have quite a bucket list that keeps growing and we’ll never get through it all but are aiming to try our best.
But it’s ok bringing in the extra money but I feel we need to squeeze the most out of what we already have and make every penny count.
So this thread is where I want to pop by and update on my progress and keep me on track.
Xmas is all bought now (apart from my nephews kids who I will give money when we visit) so no more spending.
Once Xmas is over I will report in regularly.
Anyone who wants to keep me company please feel free to join in
Cuddles
🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15

Comments

• Hi,
    I'm only 30 but I am wanting to start being more careful with what we are spending and the new year is I think when I'm going to start so I will join you on your journey if that is OK. I hope that you have a lovely Christmas xxx
  • cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    That would be lovely Rachel the more the merrier. Happy Christmas to you too 😃🎄😃
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Well I'm retired, live simply fairly frugally but I know I can do better.

I am also determined to enjoy a champagne lifestyle on a lemonade budget. :rotfl: (see the thread I started).

However, I have decided I also want to make some further cutbacks next year so I can boost my savings (without it impacting on my fun of course). So I'll join you if I may.

I want to save at least an additional £2k next year. I look forward to rolling up my sleeves and getting cracking in the new year.

In the meantime, Happy Christmas.
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I have been retired for coming up to 15 years now and mortgage is paid off, kids all grown up and left home and my money gets spent on what I want it to be spent on. Heating bills council tax food haha. Have to say there is a freedom in retirement that I never had when I was working or when I was young. I am enjoying that freedom and peace and a contentment.
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I feel like Grunnie. Enjoying retirement of 8 years now, 2 of which were off sick so only benefits for that time.

We try to enjoy our retirement on a pension but also trying to update our bungalow whilst on a pension. We're nearly there - bathroom updated, kitchen being done early next year. Living room will hopefully be done later next year. Will just leave our bedroom to sort out properly but that will just be painting and new carpet as happy with bed and wardrobes/chest of drawers/bedside cabinets. which hopefully we'll sort the following year.

Denise
  • I retired in 1995 and have never had so much to do since .Sadly I lost my OH in 2003 but have made a not so much a new life, and a slightly different one than I expected to. I belong to the W.I, the U3A a book club, a history club various local walking groups (think more gentle stroll as I need to use my stick to get about now more .) I also swim and have helped look after all of my seven grandchildren over the past 15 years.Down to the last two now although they are 17 & 14 so only need the occasional feeding with cake and biscuits etc :) I am a prolific knitter and knit for a couple of charities. I have a big circle of friends and both my DDs live close by. By living within my means and budgeting I have a family fortnights holiday in August and a week in a caravan with my tribe in April I also usually manage to get away for a week with my oldest friend in the spring.

I enjoy my life to the full as much as I can, I do what I can, and what I can't (gardening ) I pay someone else to do it.
    I like renovating old junk :) furniture etc and both my DDs have been able to use it over the years ,especially my youngest DD who has had five children .I am now a great granny and am looking forward to Erin getting big enough to have dolls that I can make outfits for :) I still have my DGD's dolls cot in the cupboard under the stairs which will be renovated in due time for her little girl.

I am always on the lookout for new ideas and will happily join in if I may
    Happy Christmas to each and every one of you

JackieO xx
  • Hi everyone,

I would like to join in too, I am planning to retire in 6 to 8 years, depending how the plan works out. There are a few things I would like to do to my bungalow, new bathroom and ensuite, extend a redo the kitchen....so saving and spending if you see what I Mean.

Looking forward to seeing how everyone gets on with this and picking up some frugal tips.

Merry Christmas everyone. X
    Well Behaved women seldom make history

Early retirement goal... 2026

Reduce, reuse, recycle .
  • I will follow you, if I may. I will be finishing work in January and am happy to take on the ideas of others. I might chip in, if I think I've got the hang of things but do feel free to correct me if I have the wrong end of things
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • I am hoping that you don't mind me joining in as well. I have been retired for 8 years now. We live simply rather than frugally - we both worked for the NHS and have decent pensions. However, old habits die hard, we have always been committed to living simply (NHS salaries aren't that good!). We are now grateful that we can use our income to help our children and grandchildren, by paying for swimming lessons and make a regular contribution to their school.
    We built our own house on retirement - and had to keep that to a strict budget (no Grand Designs!) which means we are very comfortable.
    It is a huge help being able to take advantage of 'off peak'. My regular swimming costs me £15 a month.
    We live in in area with good markets and local producers, and make good use of those.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 December 2018 at 9:40AM
    Hi, cuddlymarm. I've been retired for 11years now and can't believe how easy it is - partly thanks to this site! I'm s big fan of vouchers and of Quidco, sales etc.

We go to cinema on the meerkats, then eat on them, too. It used to be using our Tesco vouchers to buy restaurant vouchers. As you can see, I'm a cheap date!

We love travelling, so that's always a focus of saving and spending. Otherwise, most of our leisure time is with U3A and its many activities, so interesting but not costly.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure