Vet fees and the law

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    :money:Pet owners deserve the right to see every veterinary practice clearly displaying their set fees for jabs, procedures and any of the services offered to the paying public.
    It is a disgrace that legislation has not been passed making it mandatory and a legal requirement to display and publish these charges. We DEMAND action! Finally!
    Too often, vets fail to warn, for example, hard-up retirees and cash-strapped folk (like most of us these days!), just how much the cost is.
    Obviously we advise all pet owners to ask the vet for a 'quotation'; that helps to budget anything outside of the insurance remit, or for anyone wanting to make an informed choice, rather than feeling rushed into mounting expenses.
    Although most vets are quite happy to disclose a final cost, some are far too secretive or just plain vague, even if the charges would be easy to add-up.
    Far too many people are treated like mushrooms and then landed with what can be a massive bill.
    Thoughts please!:huh:

Thoughts? Sure, grow up and stop expecting the state to hold your hand
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Why should vets be different to any other business that doesn't show their fees such as builders, plumbers or fitness gyms?

Legislation is overly burdensome on business and wholly unnecessary.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,091 Forumite
    I agree and my vet does.

Mine has always been very fair and gives quotes for major operations and treatment. I had to have my cat PTS one Sunday morning - wonderful service - and a lovely hand written condolence card a few days later.

"Owning" a pet (They usually own you) comes with a big responsibility and that includes that final PTS time.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • My vet displays consultation charges on a noticeboard but surely it is up to the owner to find out how much a pet is going to cost for basic care, vaccinations etc before getting one? And why would you agree to procedures/tests without finding out how much it costs first? I wouldn't let a tradesman do work on my house without a quote why is it different dealing with a vet? I really don't get where you are coming from with your question. If you can't afford basic care don't get a pet and if you can't afford to pay large vet bills then get insurance.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    seashore22 wrote: »
    "treated like mushrooms"?

Generally taken to mean "kept in the dark and fed !!!!".
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    Generally taken to mean "kept in the dark and fed !!!!".

With manure:rotfl:
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    The poll at the top is misleading too. The question bears no relation to the first post.

There is a world of difference between people wanting a Vet to show their prices and legislation compelling them to.
  • selement
    selement Posts: 518 Forumite
    I use vets4pets and although they do tell you how much things cost I would like their fees to be clearer in advance. I still don't actually know what their consultancy fee is and I don't think it is displayed. I hate it when any business is secretive about costs tbh and have used it as a reason to not use a business in the past
    Trying to lose weight (13.5lb to go)
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,683 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    selement wrote: »
    I use vets4pets and although they do tell you how much things cost I would like their fees to be clearer in advance. I still don't actually know what their consultancy fee is and I don't think it is displayed. I hate it when any business is secretive about costs tbh and have used it as a reason to not use a business in the past

Have you tried asking them?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    Every vet I've ever used has had a price list displayed for the basics (consult, flow up consult, nurse only appointment, prescription etc.) some charge the same consult fee for everyone, others charge a different fee for cats, dogs, and small animals.

Other than the basics they cannot possibly list all of the prices individually, there are far too many variables. Your chihuahua and your Great Dane are going to need either completely different treatment for the same thing or at least different amounts of medications for the same thing. It is quicker to do a full body exam on a small dog over a large dog. A bandage for a leg will use 1m at most on a small dog but several rolls for a large dog. The big dog needs more anaesthetic than the small one, the list of differences is endless.

Anything that's not listed you can usually ask at reception and they will at least be able to check your pets size and weight to give you an estimate, of course it has to allow for complications or not having a definitive answer until diagnostics have been completed.

I've certainly never felt like a mushroom at any vet I've used, I've not been kept in the dark and not been fed bull**** when I have asked a question, particularly around cost.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure