PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Everything GQ, just about everything in the house and outbuildings eg 8 beds. It is an overflowing house. She wants to take one bed

yes floss, the EA rang me this morning and was over excited, he could tell that I was on the point to withdrawing. He said that they will support the vendor and has a team to help her pack and move stuff into storage. He never did his job properly in the first place, should never have `allowed` the needy vendor to do her own viewings and should have laid it on the line about communicating through him

Solicitor has been lovely and very supportive plus I have had a lot of help from another thread. Prior to completion, I will write to EA and remind him that the contract is for vacant possesion and if his client defaults then I will contact my solicitor and have the monies reversed due to breach of contract. I will also request that keys are handed over at the property, I will take a witness and we will all go in together to check.

Four days of shenanigans was all it took to turn me into a very hard faced person wrt this deal
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) don't blame you, but I last thing you need is a load of her stuff. Pooter has arrived but won't be set up to tonight as I need to garden. GQ x :)i
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Me too! Come back soon :kisses3:

MMF, I'm horrified at the timestamp on your post :rotfl::o

No kondoing here, just tidying!

I was wide awake with my mind whirring. I have had a mentally and physically draining 6 weeks and the last 2 nights I have woken before 4am and not got back to sleep until half an hour before the alarm goes off at 7.20. I know from past experience that being exhausted does this to me. I am almost certain that I'll sleep like a log tonight though! What made it worse was one of my lovely clients left a message* about wanting to move asap because she had a run-in with a carer! I knew I'd have to deal with massive anxiety and upset this afto.
    As it turned out she had calmed down a bit, putting it down to the heat stressing everyone out, and we had a nice outing which thankfully included some sunshine and heat mixed with shade and a slight breeze.
    * I confess to call screening nowadays after a client rang me insisting that I drive the 6 miles to her house asap because she needed a letter posting. As DH said, I am not an emergency postal service ! :rotfl:
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,979 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Kittie just to warn you we bought a probate house last year, the vendors took months to clear the house. We could have completed in 2 months, it took 5 in the end, all down to them.

Do the EA's have an auctioneers as part of their business? Our vendors took an age to get the auctioneers in to value some of the bits to send to auction. I know everybody deals with stuff at a different pace, but the previous owner had passed away a year before they put it up for sale. We found out too late that they were the ones dragging their feet. I discovered a couple of months in that there were still packets of food in the cupboards!

I wish you luck but be prepared this may take a lot longer to go through than you hope for, particularly if the lady was only recently widowed.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    slinky she needs to get completion asap because she owes a massive amount of money on loans and equity release secured on the house, she is paying almost £50 a day in interest. They were a couple who never planned ahead and it hit them big time when he became very ill and she cared for him for 20 years, now her back is bent and she needs to move to a very small place. They went from a mega salary, high faluting jobs all over the world
    My solicitor is very much on the case and the EA seems to have stepped up to the mark but has still not put stc on the listing. I have just e mailed about that as my offer was conditional on removal from sale. I am having to be strict and fight my corner or they think we older widows are pushovers
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Congrats kittie. Just a word of warning - my Aunt bought a house with a stair lift in and had a begger of a job to get someone to remove it, the company don't want them back as they are too difficult to fit elsewhere and the man hours spent removing it wasn't worth their while. Try to have the vendor remove it before you complete.

I haven't posted on here for ages as apart from the usual charity shop clothes and bit and bobs I really don't have anything else to clear. I suppose the loft could be looked at again but it really isn't too bad.

I do enjoy reading what you're up to, you are all amazing!
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks for that about the stairlift camelot. The vendor is very emotionally attached to it and the EA was going to try and talk her into selling it and earning some well needed money. I did e mail him today to say that if he could not persuade her to sell it then I would cope with it being left and would deal with it and that the buying process, as far as I am concerned, is still intact. I think maybe the stair lift would be the last straw for her and I know it is all just a transaction but I do have an idea of what she is going through. It seems to be especially the stair lift

I don`t know how on earth she is going to cope with his many military uniforms and memorabilia and medals, he was very high ranking and eg has photos with all sorts of people. I don`t suppose she could start letting stuff go while he was still alive and it has only been 3 months since he died. You can see the urgency, she worked out her financial needs, which change drastically on widowhood and she has no family coming to help her, was their second marriage, both of them and no-one wants to know.

The best placed person to help her forward is the EA, in that he could put charities in touch with her, to help remove her furniture
  • Puffinbertha
    Puffinbertha Posts: 56 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 30 June 2018 at 3:14PM
    kittie wrote: »
    . I don`t know how on earth she is going to cope with his many military uniforms and memorabilia and medals, he was very high ranking and eg has photos with all sorts of people. ...

The best placed person to help her forward is the EA, in that he could put charities in touch with her, to help remove her furniture

As her husband was ex Military, SSAFA might be one charity he could suggest to help support her.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    We have a stairlift in my mum's house - it replaced the one used by my dad, and my mum only used it half a dozen times before she died. We've gone the recommended (by the company) route by putting up local adverts, but I know by now that no one's going to buy it. If we "sell" it back to the company, their charges equal what they'd "pay" us, surprise surprise - the three of us are agreed that we'd rather sell the rail to a scrap merchant and put the chair itself and any electrical bits we can detach to the local recycling tip. Or offer them on freegle to a local hobbyist, anything rather than letting such a corrupt company have any more profit from us. They lied continually, every member of staff, about the finances of later use. Not saying every company is like that, of course.

I was the one who was there the day it was installed, and the rail is comparatively easy for an average diy-er to uninstall. There'll be a few holes in the staircarpet, of course, where the fixings were.

My own kondoing today - weeds!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I'd jump at a stairlift if offered on freecycle or similar on FB, we know we will need one for DH in the next few years, he's only 48 but if you need it, you need it,

Kittie is there no way you'd keep it in for now incase you need it later?

In laws asked us round to see if we wanted any of the stuff they've sorted out so far towards their move. We came home with a car full of stuff. Some of it has landed in the garage and will go directly to the CS (if I didn't take it, they'd move it to their new place, which they don't need to do) and some of it was stuff from DH's childhood that he's astounded to see. I've also inherited FIL's mothers sewing box, it was sealed up in 1984 when she moved and hasn't been opened since, I shall brave that tomorrow. One of the items MIL was insistent we could use was a 1960s picnic set, still in its box. Of no use to us but worth upwards of £60 on various selling sites. She's happy that stuff be dumped or sold if we can't use it so I shall clean it up and get it listed. I'm aiming for just just 4 things to stay, one games set, one Chinese tea set (will look lovely in my cabinet) one jigsaw puzzle board and one set of decent old cutlery (very tarnished but worth the effort to clean). There's several jigsaws that will get done and passed along and 4 or 5 boxes of stuff that won't make it inside the house. Some of this stuff has moved from England to Germany to Australia to South America to Iran and then back to England. Since I've known inlaws they've moved 5 times too. A real case of the Justin's!
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure